Board index Roller Coaster Games NoLimits Coaster 2 Arrow shaping

Arrow shaping

All discussion relation to NoLimits Coaster 2 should be posted here. Purchase NoLimits Coaster from this page: nolimits-coaster-2-purchase-and-upgrade-links-t32524.html

Post September 12th, 2016, 7:16 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
I'm slowly getting into NL2, and for my first project I am working on an Arrow hyper looper, but I cannot get the shaping right. Is just all too smooth, I'm missig the awkward banking and snapping transitions. Having never ridden an Arrow my experiences are limited and videos only get me so far. So, any hints concerning heartlining (is it OK to use the preset value, or do you have to use a custom value?), banking in general and lateral G-forces? And should I completely refrain from using the depumping-function?

Post September 12th, 2016, 8:48 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's extremely tricky to get that right. There is a hypothesis floating around that they banked around one of the rails on some rides, but it's possible to find them switching rails seemingly at random or just not doing it at all on the same ride, which has lead to much butthurt from the "all Intamins must have -1.2G's of air that leads into a 4.5G valley" nazi-community.

I compiled some pictures from a mounted POV of Dragon at Ocean Park, which banks on the inside and outside rail seemingly at random, and a picture of Demon in California that very obviously at the beginning banks on the inside rail. If you follow the spine on Demon you'll see it's not a perfect "not-heartlined" turn, it's.....something else. I've tried to figure out if it's speed dependent when they chose to switch rails (or occasionally not bother with either) but I really have no idea.

The other mystery for me is the corkscrew entrances. Why? Why are the exits seemingly intelligently made but the entrances feel the need to bank like 60 degrees? I don't get it.

There has to be some kind of engineering for the decisions they made like avoiding excess pipe bending, but even that doesn't make sense because they still bend the spine around to accommodate one of the rails.

I don't think Arrow really make rides that pumped unless it's super obvious, like when they stitch together turns that go from inclined to flat. Definitely don't heartline it though Sorry if I added more questions :-)

"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 12th, 2016, 9:25 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Cedar Point's Corkscrew has got smooth "Arrowy" spots, I think, specially at the entrance of a double corkscrew element and after leaving those inversions. That makes a pretty fun move until the complete stop.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post September 12th, 2016, 9:49 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Thanks CK. Alright, so no heartlining, no depumping?
I'm of course not trying to appease to the G-Force 3rd Reich, but I doubt that Arrow was able to pull off those no-lateral G turns perfectly, so what is a reasonable limit for laterals?
And obviously it seems like I'll have to make a lot build a lot with eye measure to get those entrances right, but shouldn't there be some custom heartline value to make it easier? I can already see myself going insane from all the freezing and unfreezing, cause I bet it is hard to perfect them only in the editor.

Post September 12th, 2016, 6:59 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

CK just gave a golden explanation. I wish I could reward him lol
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post September 12th, 2016, 8:58 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
From what I can tell the banking trend seemes to be older coasters bank on the inside rail while newer coasters around the outside. It's not always correct though, the turns also have to do with speed, inside rail will slow the train down entering the turn and outside will speed it up.

Also about the heart line value, there is no good way to do it. Because of the way nl2s heart linging works, al turns going one direction would be around 1 rail and the ones going the other direction, the other rail. On top of this you also can't set the heartland value to be on the rail exactly. If you do it crates massive pumps when banking. +- .45 is about the most you can do. On my more recent arrows I've settled on leaving it at the center of rail, and manually moving the nodes to create the desired shape.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post October 18th, 2016, 9:20 am

Points on hand: 56.00 Points
Pretty much most of Arrows coasters are bodges, especially those built from the late 70's to the late 80's, since they effectively used maths to build coasters not CAD! however don't forget, because there was a lack of CAD in those days it was all a bit of a bodge, so on site sections of track may be out of tolerance or improved on the spot which is what causes the random chunks of curves, banking and general bodgey build of the track (which in a way effectively makes an Arrow coaster which is why we love them!). Now as for the outside and inside banking it generally depends on speed, if you lower the inside rail you get a smooth transition, however you loose coaster height and make the curve slightly tighter. it also puts a lot of stress on the coupler bars between cars if its a very tight corner since you get some weird movements, which is why the smaller corners generally have their outside rail lifted. This however mainly applies to their earlier models. If you look at a coaster built in the very late 80's or early 90's (specifically a hyper coaster) such as magnum XL or Big One, these ahh have banking from the spine (so the lower rail dips and higher rail rises). But like i say quite a lot of it is bodging it on site to make it improve or fit, since the majority of their coasters have been designed by a few fella's with a piece of paper and some numbers! Plus you won't find a high rail bank on a high speed corner ofton as this causes a very rough transition!

Post October 21st, 2016, 8:20 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ Deep thoughts! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to NoLimits Coaster 2