Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area B&M LIM Launch coaster: The Dark Dragon

B&M LIM Launch coaster: The Dark Dragon

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post November 19th, 2011, 8:35 am

Points on hand: 790.00 Points
An evil force has hit japan. The gardens are being torn apart, and a giant monster is to blame. Can you tame the beast?

Image Insert:
89.59 KB

A jojo inversion:

Expect an update soon

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:02 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
The only evil force here is the heartline.Duh.Advice,get Newton 2,study B&M rides,learn how to support properly

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:53 am

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

^ Dude go easy on him! geez! he is new remember?! But yea, the supports are off and study B&M's style a little. Mostly they have inversions and surprisingly minimal banked curves (besides Levithan) like your coaster. ^ Again, I dont know if someone new to no limits should get newton 2.... unless they know calculus or something. Wait a little to advance like I did, try it out (like me) if it fails then wait a little more and try it. But other than that stick to handbuilding.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 19th, 2011, 1:48 pm

Points on hand: 1,369.00 Points
An easy way to heartline without Newton is to line up the track rails square to one rail of the track: say for a heartlined turn you would align both rails at a 90 degree angle to the left rail for a tight yet heartlined right turn.

Newton never worked for me.

Post November 19th, 2011, 2:37 pm

^It did for me. Today i did my first coaster by basicly doing everything Entropy said in his vids. But the coaster kinda sucked so yea...
It's been a long time

Post November 19th, 2011, 2:45 pm

Post November 19th, 2011, 3:40 pm

I only use newton for hairpin turns or lift hills where an even radius is key, but newton is a little more difficult to use when applying g-force and twisted track.

Post November 19th, 2011, 4:19 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by Coaster Hero

I dont know if someone new to no limits should get newton 2.... unless they know calculus or something.

When exactly did this misconception occur, that Newton is advanced mathematics? Haha. It really is not complicated. You just have to persist.

Post November 19th, 2011, 5:27 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
I mean, calculus or whatever helps you understand WHY it does things (kinda sorta), but it doesn't really help you make better Newton rides. You just understand why a transition works the way it does (this is more algebra I think). If you don't understand this, then just learn what the transition does and apply it.

I mean it helps a little, but not really. It's not like high-level stuff or anything...it's just the occasional graph that you may want to interpret.

Post November 19th, 2011, 7:26 pm

has anybody notice how tight the newton coasters look like? compact which is fine but generally slow like an indoor type of ride.

Post November 19th, 2011, 8:06 pm

Originally posted by richie5126

I only use newton for hairpin turns or lift hills where an even radius is key, but newton is a little more difficult to use when applying g-force and twisted track.

True that![approve]
It's been a long time

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Originally posted by Coaster Hero

I dont know if someone new to no limits should get newton 2.... unless they know calculus or something.

When exactly did this misconception occur, that Newton is advanced mathematics? Haha. It really is not complicated. You just have to persist.

I guess he confused it with AHG

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
...that's not complicated mathematics either...the only thing that could possibly be considered "complicated mathematics" is custom transition functions in FVD. Everything else is plug-and-chug...

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:22 pm
thrillsentertainment Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,028.00 Points
I've never used any sort of math or calculus intentionally with newton (or AHG for that matter, which is primarily color codes...?), I simply learned how the transitions work and applied it, as AJ said, and I consider myself to be an "expert" newton user for whatever its worth. I know some calculus and I've not really used it once in the two years now that I've used newton. It really is a misconception that it requires advanced mathematics, sure it may come easier to someone who understands it, but all it takes is essentially a basic understanding of the program, time, and practice to become good at it.

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:33 pm

Originally posted by thrillsentertainment

I've never used any sort of math or calculus intentionally with newton (or AHG for that matter, which is primarily color codes...?), I simply learned how the transitions work and applied it, as AJ said, and I consider myself to be an "expert" newton user for whatever its worth. I know some calculus and I've not really used it once in the two years now that I've used newton. It really is a misconception that it requires advanced mathematics, sure it may come easier to someone who understands it, but all it takes is essentially a basic understanding of the program, time, and practice to become good at it.
A LOT of practice...
It's been a long time

Post November 19th, 2011, 11:36 pm

And speaking of newton, anyone know how or where to get the custom newton environment? It looks sick!
It's been a long time

Post November 20th, 2011, 2:49 pm

I decided to change this into an intamin.

Should i keep this a b&m? Or does Intamin suit it?

You decide...

Oh yeah, the comments.

First of all, the heartlining. I have improved the heartlining of many areas in the ride but that roll you see still cannot be fixed.

Ahh, newton. I fail at banking.

And finally, bye! I dont need to be pushed easy on.

This is my first attempt at supports so there are a few prefab supports. When i said handbuilt, i meant the track.

Post November 20th, 2011, 4:35 pm

I easily knew there were prefabs. Much better. Keep it intamin. It just has the FEEL of it...
It's been a long time

Post November 20th, 2011, 5:12 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Please get rid of the support that is dangling from the other part of the track :) You'd have to have double the supports for the track that the is holding up that other piece of track, which is a bit silly when it'd be easier to just have separate supports. I'd say you MCBR support is a tad overkill as well :)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post November 20th, 2011, 10:09 pm

i suggest that you convert the diagonal cross ties on the supports to thinner tubes since in a real intamin only the main box structure is important, diagonal crosses are like extra support. right now on the MCBR all i see is a couple of supports kind of smooshed, keep them as linear as possible. there is also this random support structure connecting the MCBR to the cork, you might want to connect it to something.

Post November 20th, 2011, 11:36 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points

Post November 21st, 2011, 7:07 am

What is an FVD?

School Post. Glad i have somewhere i can 3D model for the ride.

Post November 25th, 2011, 1:33 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Originally posted by Xtremecoasta

What is an FVD?
FVD=Family Violence Department, best poop to use.

Post November 25th, 2011, 6:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Rather than being an ass, I'll actually answer your question. FVD is Force Vector Design. And no, you really shouldn't use them. It's like Newton, but more complicated. A lot more flexible, but not worth it for a beginner. Just use Newton if you want to get into force-based design. It's simpler and is perfectly substantial for basic stuff.

Post November 25th, 2011, 6:47 pm

Points on hand: 90.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
FVD = what RWN talks about as often as Jcoasters talked about his graphics card. For some reason.

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area