Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Batman: The Ride - Backwards

Batman: The Ride - Backwards

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 21st, 2013, 10:13 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points

Apparently Six Flags has lost their mind or something. They have recently announced that they are going to put the trains backwards on their B&M Batman coaster at Six Flags Great America.

Event tho this is temporarely, I'm really curious how the GP is going receive this coaster. Those B&M Batman coasters are already pretty intense on G-Forces. Anyone who has ridden them, knows that the elements are taken with some serious speed and directional changes.

To me it sounds a bit like a waiting game on when the first one is going to get seriously injured. What do you guys think this?
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post January 21st, 2013, 10:18 am

Points on hand: 686.00 Points
They've run out of promotion ideas, "LET'S PUT ALL THE TRAINS BACKWARDS!"

Post January 21st, 2013, 10:27 am

Points on hand: 1,411.00 Points

I think it's gonna be pretty cool, and they would NEVER do this if it wasn't safe.

Post January 21st, 2013, 10:31 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Hollywood Dream is going to run backwards next season as well, and so is something at Thorpe. Probably Nemesis Inferno? I don't imagine Swarm would be a good fit but who knows.

Post January 21st, 2013, 1:04 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I think this is pretty awesome. Backwards is a crazy sensation. I rode my first Vekoma boomerang at King's Island and holy shiz the backwards half was really disorienting. I can't even imagine an entire ride backwards, let alone an extremely intense B&M invert like Batman. Is it easy to make the trains backwards? Or does B&M have to send parts like an 'update' to the trains?

Post January 21st, 2013, 1:32 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by Jakizle

Hollywood Dream is going to run backwards next season as well, and so is something at Thorpe. Probably Nemesis Inferno? I don't imagine Swarm would be a good fit but who knows.

well they think it is :S

It was announced today via the Official Thorpe Park Facebook page that this year in 2013 riders can experience The Swarm (the UK?????????s first winged coaster where riders are suspended at the side of the track) backwards! A photograph has been revealed of the trains covered with a giant tarpaulin, however photos of the reversed train are expected to emerge soon. The park also confirmed that a new near miss element has been added for the 2013 season.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post January 21st, 2013, 1:37 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
I think this is sweet. Batman is very tight and disorienting. Running it backwards would make it amazing. Its most positive g's so whether it runs forwards or backwards shouldn't make a difference. Its acceleration g's that are the issue when running a ride backwards. Considering Mr. Freeze has way more acceleration g's and runs backwards with no issue this should be completely fine. The trains shouldn't need major modifications. Most likely just reverse the anti rollback dogs. Everything else should work fine like the break pads and pads for the wheels and they are symmetrical.

Post January 21st, 2013, 2:03 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Why do they keep doing stupid crap like this? I have a better idea. Have only 1 train go backwards.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post January 21st, 2013, 2:21 pm

Points on hand: 1,411.00 Points

Originally posted by tiepilot35

Is it easy to make the trains backwards? Or does B&M have to send parts like an 'update' to the trains?

A new chassis has been made for Great America. The seats on the original train will be transferred over to the new backwards chassis.

Post January 21st, 2013, 2:50 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I see six flags is continuing with their "Its a new roller coaster" campaign.
What are these for?

Post January 21st, 2013, 2:56 pm

Originally posted by mkingy

Originally posted by Jakizle

well they think it is :S

It was announced today via the Official Thorpe Park Facebook page that this year in 2013 riders can experience The Swarm (the UK?????????s first winged coaster where riders are suspended at the side of the track) backwards! A photograph has been revealed of the trains covered with a giant tarpaulin, however photos of the reversed train are expected to emerge soon. The park also confirmed that a new near miss element has been added for the 2013 season.

That actually makes sense. They are probably trying one invert chasis, one hyper chasis, and one wingrider chasis.

Post January 21st, 2013, 3:03 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I guess it would be kind of cool to do hulk backwards, or even hydra's jo-jo roll, it hurts enough already so it cant do much more harm
What are these for?

Post January 21st, 2013, 3:05 pm

I'm just waiting for something like Kumba backwards, haha. BGT could use a kick

Post January 21st, 2013, 4:28 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet, but supposedly at least for Swarm theyre only doing the last two cars.

Post January 21st, 2013, 6:30 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
I could've sworn they did this at Great Adventure one year for Halloween.

Post January 21st, 2013, 6:34 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points

Post January 21st, 2013, 9:12 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Hey now, aside from the two Bizarro incidents (The intamin one with the anti-fatty restraint mods was arguably needed from their point of view) the fixing of existing broken things I'm totally in favor of as far as Six Flags goes.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post January 21st, 2013, 11:31 pm

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
I actually REALLY like backwards superman at SFMM. Before the ride was meh, but backwards it is insane. The launch always gets you.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Post January 22nd, 2013, 8:50 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Jcoasters

I actually REALLY like backwards superman at SFMM. Before the ride was meh, but backwards it is insane. The launch always gets you.

But that's a shuttle coaster. So you'll always be traveling at least once backwards and once forward. Having an entire coaster backwards is totally different again. For us coaster enthusiasts I see no problem. But I'm more worried about the GP. They always cause problems with such insane ideas.

On the other hand, riding the B&M Hypercoaster or a Wingrider backwards sounds better again. These rides are a lot smoother and gentler on transitions compared to a B&M Batman.

We'll see what happens. [:)]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post January 22nd, 2013, 3:16 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
After further thinking, I rode this in the back and it was batsh!t crazy [lol] My only regret was not having any visibility- so this will actually be very very VERY cool most likely.

Post January 23rd, 2013, 5:27 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

What likely happened is they put it on backwards to begin with and couldn't be arsed to turn it right round again.

Post January 23rd, 2013, 10:17 am

Originally posted by Mikey

What likely happened is they put it on backwards to begin with and couldn't be arsed to turn it right round again.

Actually, B&M is building and sending them an entire new chasis.

Post January 23rd, 2013, 11:24 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah i'd imagine from the G forces and the inclined seat angle it would matter as far wear and tear goes.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post January 23rd, 2013, 12:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

After further thinking, I rode this in the back and it was batsh!t crazy [lol] My only regret was not having any visibility- so this will actually be very very VERY cool most likely.

Yup batman the ride is extremely underrated. Its very forceful, fast and just disorienting. I wish B&M would go back to making coasters like Batman, Kumba, Green Lantern (as in forceful without huge period of slow parts) and less like patriot, and these terrible wingriders (forceless) they have been pumping out.

Post January 23rd, 2013, 2:07 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Originally posted by blackhand1001

Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

Yup batman the ride is extremely underrated. Its very forceful, fast and just disorienting. I wish B&M would go back to making coasters like Batman, Kumba, Green Lantern (as in forceful without huge period of slow parts) and less like patriot, and these terrible wingriders (forceless) they have been pumping out.

Wingriders are inherently a difficult one though, sticking the seats on the side means that banking into turns creates positive / negative G's (and less rotation induced lateral G's) which need to be controlled, and the width of them means that loops have to have quite large lateral clearances.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions