Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Black Hole

Black Hole

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post October 9th, 2004, 2:01 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
This is prolly as close as I will ever get to building a spaghetti bowl type of coaster. Features 5 inversions, including a top hat, a rolling dive (don't know what else to call it [:P]), sea serpent, and corkscrew. Not many chances for negative g's here, but positive g fans will not be dissapointed, especially with the 4.5g helix.

Now all I have to do is support it. [:(!]

Here's a pic of it...

Image Insert:
75.57 KB

...and since that turned out sort of darker than I thought it would, here's a daytime shot.

Image Insert:
78.1 KB
Last edited by Kev on October 14th, 2004, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 9th, 2004, 3:47 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Looks wicked, Kev. Keep working on it and you've got yourself a rater once it's posted. Good luck on the supports, and I hope you have an easier time supporting it than I've had with my nightmarish "supporting chaos" coasters that are giving me fits. Still, keep workin on it... you've got me interested in riding this thing.

Post October 9th, 2004, 9:20 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Thanks for the kind comments. [:)] I started working on the supports today, and it has been slow going. This will be my first coaster where i'm attempting to do 100% custom supports, and I can already tell that I'm going to pull my hair out before I'm done. I never did understand how some of you guys do the things that you do with the supports. I wish I had the patience to build some of the awesome structures that you have done...I'm taking a minimalist approach with this one. Hopefully it will look cool when I'm done.

Still haven't thought of a name yet. Anybody have any suggestions? 500 points will go to the person who comes up with the coolest name. For ideas about what I'm looking for, it will be a nighttime coaster as pictured above. Probably no other theme other than that.

Post October 9th, 2004, 10:07 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,299.00 Points

looks gr8 kev!

some names: Darkness Falls. i would be able to make more, but whats the theme of the ride, i know it is nite, but is is like the end of the world, a normal theme, gothic??? or what?

Post October 9th, 2004, 10:30 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Nothing that dramatic, it's just nighttime. [:)] Darkness Falls sounds pretty good though. I'll keep that one in mind.

Post October 9th, 2004, 11:06 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Here's another screenshot showing my progress with the supports, and hopefully will give more of an idea for a good name. Darkness Falls is the choice for right now, but is there anybody out there that can come up with one that is better?

Image Insert:
85.62 KB

Post October 10th, 2004, 12:40 am
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

wow, that is lookin great! that helix looks incredibly awesome! i am not a huge +g fan, but i must admit, that looks fun!

heres some more names: Apocalypse, Black Hole, Dark abyss, Abyss [?]

Post October 10th, 2004, 12:41 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

the supports make it look a lot better, and the new colors look great too. But persoannly, I like the ring around that moon. This is another one of your amazing enviornments. One day, I'm gonna disect some of your stuff and mix them up for my rides. (for my personal use, of course.)

Post October 10th, 2004, 12:46 am
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

the env does look great, how do you make those? do you use lightwave or somthin?

Post October 10th, 2004, 1:15 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

I used Vue d'esprit for the environment. I'm glad you guys liked it, and you are more than welcome to use anything from them for your coasters. [:)]

Okay, Grim has come up with the best name so far. I'm leaning toward Black Hole Abyss, which is a mixture of two of his suggestions. It will be a few days before I upload, so there's still time to come up with suggestions.

Post October 10th, 2004, 1:49 am
cjd

Originally posted by GRIM

heres some more names: Apocalypse, Black Hole, Dark abyss, Abyss [?]

About the names: I would not reccoment using "Apocalypse", because there have already been 2 quite highly rated coasters posted by The Edge and myself that shared this name, and I really don't think we need a third one. Plus, this really is more of a night environment than "end of the world" from what I've seen. "Dark Abyss" is the name of one of the default Nolimits coasters, and just happens to be a spaghetti bowl coaster itself. I think "Black Hole" is cool, though, you should consider this one, Kev. If you are looking for some more outtakes on naming the coaster, check out http://www.thesaurus.com, and enter some of the words that describe the coaster and look for synonims.

BTW, good job on the supports so far. You're sure moving alot faster than my nightmarish support job on Cataclysm... [;)]

Post October 10th, 2004, 11:26 am

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Also, try using a translator to create a different name in another language. For example, "Black Hole" becomes "Schwarze Bohrung" in German; or "Foro Nero" in Italian. Sometimes using a different language will really change the perception of a ride!

However, this coaster looks wonderful! Just be careful of collisions with your supporting or "too close to" near misses that may hurt your final rating. I look forward to seeing this one!!

Post October 10th, 2004, 11:40 am
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Thanks for the translator tip. That's an interesting idea that I had never thought about before. I was wondering how Gouldy always comes up with those odd names for his coasters. [:P]

Here's a few specs for the coaster as it is right now:

Length: 5311 feet
Max speed: 85 mph
Max positive g: 5.1
Max negative g: .3
Max lateral g: 1.0
Train operation: 3

Post October 10th, 2004, 12:25 pm

Points on hand: 4,163.00 Points

wow...looks absolutly awesome kev, cant wait to ride it when its done.

But just a question, how did you insert an image into your post? ive been trying to figure out how to do that latly and ive been getting no help. sry to be OT.

Post October 10th, 2004, 12:50 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

When you reply to a topic, there is a paper clip labeled as 'Insert an image file'. Click on it. [:)]

Post October 10th, 2004, 1:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,163.00 Points

o man...[sillyme] i should know by now to stop asking stupid questions...sry bout that, but i think you should try names like Blender or something, like names that make it sound disorienting.

Post October 10th, 2004, 1:16 pm

Points on hand: 81.00 Points

name options,

Wolf Moon
Hunter's Moon
The 2 names above are just names going off of the moon, BTW, it looks awesome.

Frightmare.
Twisted
Ruptured Mind
Night Owl
Night Hunter
Predator

their of the top of my head, PM me if you want more. or if you deside to theam a little more, and then you can ger spacific abut the name!

Post October 10th, 2004, 3:26 pm

OF course, what does "spaghetti bowl" translate to in German? Hmmm, could be a name right there! :-)

By the way, here is the site I used: http://www.free-translator.com/

Post October 10th, 2004, 3:41 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Isolationsschlauchsch?????????ssel, according to Alta Vista. [lol] I'm not sure that I'll use that one, as I should at least be able to pronounce the word without running out of breath. [:P] I couldn't get it to translate at the link you provided.

Post October 10th, 2004, 4:56 pm

Isolationsschlauchsch?????????ssel .... hahahahaha

Post October 10th, 2004, 8:52 pm
cjd

the real website is http://www.freetranslation.com, Kev. Just in case you still need it.

BTW, changing languages is a great way to come up with names. I used this strategy on my contest coaster, "Kazan", which is Japanese for "volcano".

Post October 10th, 2004, 9:41 pm
GRIM.657 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Android

name options,

Wolf Moon
Hunter's Moon
The 2 names above are just names going off of the moon, BTW, it looks awesome.

Frightmare.
*cut*

please dont use frightmare, as i am using on a project of mine.

and kev, what is the website for that program you used for the skyboxes?

<<GRIM>>

Post October 10th, 2004, 10:51 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

http://www.e-onsoftware.com/

I'm about 95% complete with the supports. Here's another picture showing what I have so far. Yeah, I know, my supports look like sh*t. [lol] No support hits though, so far.

Image Insert:
89.14 KB

Still undecided on the name. Any other ideas?

Post October 10th, 2004, 11:03 pm

Man, the supporting on this looks wonderful!! Cannot wait to see it finished and posted!

Post October 10th, 2004, 11:13 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Thanks! I was thinking that it looked sort of sloppy, but I guess I'm my own harshest critic. Anyway, all I have left to support is the sea serpent and the incline into the first inversion...both of which look like they will be the toughest to do. I'm not even sure how to begin yet, so I guess I'll probably stop and think about it for awhile.

Thanks again to everybody for the positive feedback. Hopefully, you all will still like it after taking it for a ride. [:)]

Next

Return to Hard Hat Area