Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Bottled Water

Bottled Water

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post August 6th, 2007, 4:09 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Do us and the rest of the world a favor and STOP BUYING IT.

Few stats:

We Americans pitch 38 billion water bottles a year into landfills -- in excess of $1 billion worth of plastic.

24% of the bottled water we buy is tap water repackaged by Coca-Cola and PepsiCo

Theres 6.4, 20 ounce bottles in a gallon. We pay roughly 2.70 for a gallon of gas and say thats outrageous. Yet we pay routinely and without question anywhere from 1 to 2 dollars for one 20 ounce bottle of water. Thats anywhere from 2 to 3 times the price of a gallon of gas for something we can get from our tap for next to nothing.

Combine that with the fact that its filling up landfills faster than we can blink and it shows how stupid our people in this country can be. Complain over gas, spend 3 times that on some WATER. Something that majority of the world doesnt even have thats clean.

I refuse to drink it unless theres absoultely nothing else and Im dehydrated. But I cant remember the last time that was. If you have these plastic bottles around, SAVE EM! Fill em with your own tap water, save yourself alot of money and save the environment by reusing the bottles.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/In ... ?GT1=10328

Post August 6th, 2007, 4:36 am

Points on hand: 1,469.00 Points
God I hate when my parents buy all this bottled water, I totally agree. But I dont think you can really compare the price of water to gas per gallon, lol. Gas is burned at a much larger rate than your family will drink water, saying its cheaper doesn't mean anything.

Post August 6th, 2007, 4:46 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
What's wrong with tap water?
I use the same system the big companies use, my fridge is full of coke bottles refilled with tap water.

Post August 6th, 2007, 5:03 am

Points on hand: 4,068.00 Points
Tap Water> Bottled water

They claim it is crisp tasting and I find that false, all bottled water tastes like freaking plastic. While my tasty tap water tastes refreshing

Post August 6th, 2007, 5:29 am

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Alright, go get killed by the poison you're drinking from your taps. Unless you live near a mountain spring your water is full of crap.

And Coke/Pepsi do not bottle tap water. That's a load of crap.

Bottled water DOES suck. There's no solution apart from distillation. That's the only way you're going to get pure water.

By the way, we did a test in our school. We put bottled water, tap water and salt water on top of an overhead and let it dry out. The tap water and salt water were almost PITCH BLACK and you couldn't even see the bottled water.

Post August 6th, 2007, 5:54 am

^ you dont know what you are talking about at all...

Alright, go get killed by the poison you're drinking from your taps. Unless you live near a mountain spring your water is full of crap.

Nobodies tap water is going to KILL them... The majority of people today have filtered water sent to thier taps. Maybe Canada doesn't do that...

Coke is Dasani, Pepsi is Aquafina...

Bottled water DOES suck. There's no solution apart from distillation. That's the only way you're going to get pure water.

Tap water sucked and NOW bottled water sucks? I guess you are too good for water... I dont think you will last very long...

By the way, we did a test in our school. We put bottled water, tap water and salt water on top of an overhead and let it dry out. The tap water and salt water were almost PITCH BLACK and you couldn't even see the bottled water.

No hablo canadian, that didnt make sense at all.

Post August 6th, 2007, 8:18 am

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Originally posted by SFMM homie

^ you dont know what you are talking about at all...

Nobodies tap water is going to KILL them... The majority of people today have filtered water sent to thier taps. Maybe Canada doesn't do that...

Coke is Dasani, Pepsi is Aquafina...

Tap water sucked and NOW bottled water sucks? I guess you are too good for water... I dont think you will last very long...

No hablo canadian, that didnt make sense at all.

Idiot, it makes perfect sense. We let the water evaporate on the overhead sheet. Then we put it on the overhead. All that was left over was the dissolved solids, and the tap water and salt water had so much dissolved solids they were almost black.

And bottled water and tap water suck. They both do, distilled water's the only way.

And I know that Coke is Dasani and Pepsi is Aquafina, I'm not that freaking stupid, don't make me out to be an idiot.

Post August 6th, 2007, 8:24 am

Points on hand: 103.00 Points
Bank: 4,290.00 Points
Jeez Real, I never thought that bottled water resulted in such a huge bunch of problems.

I don't buy bottled water in the first place because it's way too expensive. I believe that if a person doesn't come in contact with particular germs there immune system will never strengthen that will result in an early death if that person gets a miner flew eventually. That?????????s why I use 2, 4 liter water bottles, place it in my fridge and there you go; nice, cold and healthy tap water.

Post August 6th, 2007, 9:04 am

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

I agree 100% but my mom ever drinks anything but bottled, and she drinks like 5 bottles a day. So we go to costco and buy like 3 cases of 24 bottles at a time. It sickens me.

Post August 6th, 2007, 10:39 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

I live near a natural water spring and we can go up to the hills with our bottles and fill up from the natural spring. It's 100% pure and it's free. Beat that ;)

Post August 6th, 2007, 11:01 am

Calaway - do some research, you are totally ignorant.

They sent samples of 5 different types of tap water from 5 different parts of the country and they turned up lower or the exact same levels of "crap" thats in bottled water!

Also, your parents, your parents parents, etc. have been drinking tap water and THEY led healthier lives than WE do now. Theres a video in that 6 pages of madness where they do the water study and only 4 bottled waters didnt have these ULTRA LOW levels of chlorine.

Dont talk to me about how tap water is bad for you. I bet I can find 100 other things you do that are far unhealthier if given the chance.

Also - Spring water is ok AFTER its filtered. It usually has higher levels of minerals, but if you arent filtering it and just taking it frmo the ground you have a HUGE change you could catch disease. Rocks and such dont filter disease, just the other crap. Lots of pure, flowing streams and springs coming from the mountains that look like perfect water could infact hold bacteria. Filter it and you are good.

Unless your tap water sucks where you live Calaway, that stuff on your overhead sheet could have been absorbed by the air while it was still water. Then filtered out by the heat. But reguardless, while it may look not good, its been proven now a million times that tap water is as good for you as its ever been because our purification processes are that good.

Post August 6th, 2007, 12:21 pm

Points on hand: 636.00 Points
i always drink tap water, but it also helps that my city has the best tasting and cleanist tap water in the state.

Post August 6th, 2007, 12:32 pm

Points on hand: 2,417.00 Points
a bottle of water will last me about a week, I drink it and then refill it with tap water and it tastes just the same

Post August 6th, 2007, 12:33 pm

Points on hand: 2,204.00 Points
I always drink tap water too. We always fill up a pitcher and put it in the refrigerator so its cold and when i want a drink just pour myself glass. Bottled water annoys me and flavored water makes me sick. That stuff tastes bad.

Post August 6th, 2007, 1:40 pm

Points on hand: 2,417.00 Points

Post August 6th, 2007, 3:20 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

Here I am, reading and responding to this thread while I enjoy a bottle of Dasani tap water. Do I care that it is tap water? No! I do like that I got 23 Coke points too.

I do not see the big deal in buying bottled water. Instead of throwing the bottles in the trash, why not recycle them?! One of the first things I noticed after moving to Denver from Canada is that recycling programs are non-existent here. Since I moved here just over a year ago, I have seen ZERO evidence of any recycling programs. Back in my home town (not really a town anymore), every house is given 2 recycling containers. And with the variety of things that you can recycle, those two containers quickly overfill within a week.

It seems idiotic to me to complain about trash created by bottles, when they can be recycled and completely avoid the trash dump!

Comparing bottled water to gasoline is dumb too. I pay under $4 for 3.2 gallons of water. Yet I pay $3+ for 1 gallon of gas. How does that compare?

Also keep in mind that not all tap water across the globe and country is equally healthy. I know that the tap water here in Colorado is a lot better tasting than the water back in Toronto. Also keep in mind that a lot of people still do not have city water lines, but are still using wells.

Post August 6th, 2007, 3:22 pm

Originally posted by Phil

a bottle of water will last me about a week, I drink it and then refill it with tap water

lol, then how does it last only a week?

Post August 6th, 2007, 3:38 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Dasani and Aquafina are nasty. Absolutely disgusting. I grab the bottle if it's the one available, and dump it out immediately. I refill with other water, like tap or one in a cooler jug thingy.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post August 6th, 2007, 3:45 pm

^I agree. I also find that alot of them, even these "spring" water ones have a "filmy" taste. Almost like a super thin layer of grease or something from the plastic bottle. Those two have that and I would drink if the only thing but Ill use my tap water.

Post August 6th, 2007, 3:48 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

i use a britta filter but my water comes out the tap.

the only time i get bottled water is when i go camping and then its 1 gallon tub and 2 bottles
Making screams come true

Post August 6th, 2007, 4:04 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,838.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

"We pay roughly 2.70 for a gallon of gas and say thats outrageous." [lol]

seriously, you lucky bastards.

That aside, I strongly agree that bottled water is too expensive, however, I do not agree that it is the same thing as tap water, unless of course like you said, it actually is tap water. It is a lot cleaner and I find, more refreshing, however I do not buy it myself as like you and I said, it is too expensive. Add to that the fact that in this country, most major towns and cities FORCE the recycling of all plastic and cardboard waste and provide the correct amenities to do so, and that gets rid of the other problem you pointed out. Do not blame bottled water companies for this not being the case in your country, for that, you want to speak to your government.

Post August 6th, 2007, 4:07 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

I never drink bottled water at all. We have perfectly good tap water here. Although I like ZaHarmony, a peach flavoured water available only in Slovenia.

Post August 6th, 2007, 4:34 pm

Originally posted by gouldy

Add to that the fact that in this country, most major towns and cities FORCE the recycling of all plastic and cardboard waste and provide the correct amenities to do so, and that gets rid of the other problem you pointed out. Do not blame bottled water companies for this not being the case in your country, for that, you want to speak to your government.

w00p! Awesome

Post August 6th, 2007, 5:02 pm

Yea, that is awesome. We have recycling, but its optional. It is free pick up - you just have to seperate and put in a bin.

To generalize and say all tap water is the same would be wrong, because its not. But the study took samples from different cities around the country and they all came back showing the same chemical contents as 80% of the bottled water out there. Only 4 brands showed water without the impurities but she said these impurities are actually lower than in years past and there have been no signs of illness from any of them.

Quite frankly if people want to feel good about being healthy not drinking tap water isnt the answer. Its all the other crap thats in our food that is a totally different discussion.

Post August 6th, 2007, 5:11 pm

But the study took samples from different cities around the country and they all came back showing the same chemical contents as 80% of the bottled water out there.

Theres the problem. Of course the water quality statistics will look better if they only sample city water.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion