Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Cedar Fair is fined by OSHA 2015

Cedar Fair is fined by OSHA 2015

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post December 7th, 2015, 1:02 pm
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
Cedar Fair LP has been hit with a $14,000 fine after an employee suffered a fractured leg while doing maintenance work on a ride at the company???s Cedar Point amusement park in Sandusky.

It was one of four companies recently cited and given fines for workplace safety violations by the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration office in Toledo. Also cited and fined were Quality Ready Mix Inc. of St. Marys, Ohio; Johns Manville of Waterville; and Bunge North America LLC of Bellevue, Ohio.

The federal regulatory agency said Cedar Fair of Sandusky failed to train employees to shut off power before performing maintenance work on the Slingshot ride so the safety procedure was not followed. Regulators also said Cedar Fair did not properly train employees in safety measures when they are exposed to moving parts on the Slingshot.

An OSHA spokesman told The Blade that the lack of training led to the injuries suffered by an unnamed employee on Oct. 9. Details of the incident weren???t available. OSHA said it is investigating.

The Slingshot catapults a small capsule with two riders up to 360 feet into the air at speeds of up to 62 miles per hour.

Companies can contest OSHA???s citations and penalties. Cedar Fair didn???t immediately respond to a request for comment on Friday.

OSHA fined Quality Ready Mix, from Auglaize County, $59,200 for a number of violations at its plant near North Baltimore, Ohio.

Inspectors said the company failed to implement safe procedures for employees entering a cement hopper for cleaning. The company was also cited for willful safety violations after a conveyor unexpectedly started while an employee was on it to grease the rollers on the ride. OSHA said the company should have instituted procedures to ensure the power supply was cut while maintenance was being done.

Johns Manville was fined $19,000 after investigators noted that a number of gears, sprockets, and rollers at its Waterville location were not properly guarded.

Agribusiness Bunge North America was fined $14,000 for violations in Bellevue. OSHA said employees there were exposed to amputation hazards because the company hadn???t developed proper shutdown procedures.

The companies can seek to have the citations and fines reduced.

~titanrocks01
credit Toledo Blade

Post December 7th, 2015, 1:25 pm
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Alright...
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Post December 7th, 2015, 2:00 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points
Whoops. Mistakes are made, stuff happens, fines happen. Kek.

Post December 7th, 2015, 2:25 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
lol rip
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post December 7th, 2015, 2:46 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Normally I'd make a Challenge Park Employee joke here, but it was the maintenance people so I can't. Hope the dude recovers quickly.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post December 7th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

I know the guy. He's slowly recovering. The description of the incident is not what I was told the night it happened, but who knows...
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post December 7th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,428.00 Points

I always second guess OShA's Findings. They seem to want to always find fault even if it means having to get creative.

I hope the employee gets well soon.

Post December 8th, 2015, 8:26 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Yeah, I completely agreed with you all. Hope that he will get better soon. I root for him and Cedar Point trying to entertain guests.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!