Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! California's Great America in danger of closing?

California's Great America in danger of closing?

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Is Irvine Company looking to acquire Santa Clara's Great America theme park?

The Irvine Company, which already is spending billions on massive projects all over Santa Clara, may be looking at the ultimate land play there: The 116-acre Great America theme park.

Metro Silicon Valley's Josh Koehn reports in a cover story on Santa Clara politics today that Mayor Jamie Mathews "took part in a private meeting sometime in the last two years with executives of the Irvine Company, in which he led a presentation that included a model of the Great America theme park grounds where rollercoasters were replaced with high-density housing, retail and office space." The piece suggests that Irvine may be working with the San Francisco 49ers on a major development play. Great America is located next door to Levi's Stadium.

I can confirm that Irvine Company has floated redevelopment plans for the Great America site with city officials more than a year ago, but it's unclear how serious those plans were, whether they still exist, and what the reception would be from city council members, who would have to approve them. Since then, Irvine has not showed off the proposal, sources have told me, and nothing was ever formally turned into the city planning department.

City Manager Julio Fuentes did not deny discussions had taken place when I got the chance to ask him about it on Wednesday.

"I think there have been a number of companies over the years that have always been interested in that property," he said. "What we???ve discussed is a number of things with developers, with potential developers with a lot of what ifs."

The land underneath Great America had been owned by the city, but following series of events is now owned by the Successor Agency to the Santa Clara Redevelopment Agency. It's part of a huge sell-off of former redevelopment holdings that's happening this year.

The Metro story's larger topic is growing scrutiny around the stadium, its finances, and relationship between the city and the 49ers, as well as the future of City Manager Julio Fuentes. It's worth a read in its entirety, and you can do so by following this link.

Redeveloping Great America would potentially add a huge amount of office, retail and hotel development in an area that's seen massive projects proposed in the last few years, including a veritable new city on city-owned lands just north of the stadium.

Irvine company spokesman declined to comment. A 49ers spokesman didn't immediately comment.

Mayor Matthews told me in an email: "I don't remember them ever making a presentation or seeing any plans. I certainly didn't lead any discussion."

Get the business scoop you need to start the day with our free Morning Edition email.

But as I reported back in December, the Great America parcel is most definitely in play. The ground on which the theme park sits had been owned by the city's redevelopment agency. After the state blew up redevelopment across California, cities have been forced to transfer those assets to "successor agencies," which are selling off those land holdings to the highest bidder. (Technically, those successor agencies are not controlled by the city, and are instead managed by an independent oversight board.) Offers will be accepted sometime this year.

Great America's owner, Cedar Fair, has a right of first refusal for the site, which has a proposed sale value of $155 million. In December, Great America General Manager Raul Rehnborg told me that the company was considering exercising it. (The theme park operator's lease with the city runs through 2074.) So any designs by Irvine on the site would need to get Cedar Fair on board in some way ??? either by agreeing to sell its lease to Irvine or by entering into some kind of partnership. (For instance, it's possible Great America could shrink in some way, thereby sticking around in some fashion and freeing up land for development.)

Rehnborg reiterated his comments to me again today, highlighting plans to add new attractions, shows and events.

"In light of the fact that our ground lease runs through 2074 we have the necessary control of the property to pursue our long-term vision," he wrote. "In addition, we have also created enough financial flexibility to exercise our right of first refusal for the purchase of the property and that option will be considered as the land sale process moves forward."

Irvine's interest in Great America is not surprising. The company in recent years has burst onto the city's development scene in a big way, with millions of square feet of office and thousands of residential units under way. ( Click here for my cover story from 2015 about the company's growth there.) Great America represents one of the largest possible development plays left in the largely built-out city.

As for the 49ers potential involvement? It would make plenty of sense: Sports teams are more and more getting into the development business. Just look at the San Francisco Giants' massive "Mission Rock" proposal in that city, which would include 1,500 apartments and 1.3 million square feet of commercial. And the 49ers have looked at development before: Last year, the team tried to lease the city's Youth Soccer Park next to Levi's Stadium, a move that generated a huge backlash. While the team said it planned to use it for parking, sources tell me the long-term play was real estate development. (It's worth noting that the team's training center next to Levi's, which could also be part of a future redevelopment, is cut off from the main thoroughfare, Tasman Drive, by the soccer park.)

But there are good reasons for Santa Clara to not smile on any potential Great America dreams. The city is currently working through the development plans for a massive city-owned golf course and open space park with the Related Companies just north of Levi's Stadium. The plan includes millions more square feet of office and retail for the site, which Related would lease from the city. Allowing a mega-project with Irvine Company would likely not be welcomed by Related as it would create more competition for a finite number of tenants.

And, a caveat: Irvine Company looks at a lot of deals, and only executes on some of them. The company, which is controlled by its billionaire owner, Donald Bren, is among the most aggressive buyers of real estate in Santa Clara and Silicon Valley, but not every possible transaction, well ... transacts.

In any event, it's probably only a matter of time before Great America and other sites around the stadium redevelop. Silicon Valley is growing, land values are rising, and pressure is increasing to use property to its highest and best use.

Nathan Donato-Weinstein covers commercial real estate and transportation for the Silicon Valley Business Journal.

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news ... laras.html

Points on hand: 2,442.00 Points
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
valravn derailed and killed tony clark rip in peace

XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
I doubt Cedar Fair would allow the Irvine Company to purchase the land. The last thing that the Santa Clara Valley needs is more development.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

hmmm interesting. I doubt they'd close it down but instead add more shopping stuff around it. Right? Come on, Glodstriker is there!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It would be interesting to see how Cedar Fair bounces the salvageable rides around to other parks if this were to happen. Vortex may end up the first scrapped B&M, because I don't see it being worth anything to the other parks, and it would make a stupid floorless at like Michigan's Adventure. I could see Flight Deck being dumped in Michigan's Adventure and the wild mouse going somewhere else like Worlds of Fun. Maybe throw some flats like Delirium around to other parks as well. Don't see them "saving" the woodies really.

Also I got bored and went on Cedar Fair's website for CGA and whatever "Berserker" is under family rides they have a picture of Diamondback instead lol.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
This park is poo anyways lol
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
Its not closing. Someone save this post so I can prove I called it.

Seriously though, can I get a summary I'm really just to lazy to read it.
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Jesus, it's Astroworld all over again. I know it was over a decade ago, but does anybody not remember the lesson in all that? Let me reteach it:

If you have property that is valued at $80 million dollars and it has $75 million dollars worth of fixtures on it, and it's going to cost $20 million dollars to clear those fixtures to make it suitable for sale for redevelopment, and you clear $75 million dollars of fixtures off of it, then value of the property is about five million dollars after you spent $20 million to clear the fixtures. Oh, and then after all the fixtures have been cleared don't be surprised when the buyer all of a sudden bails because he couldn't get the funding to build that shopping mall the market area couldn't sustain or need. So the land you sold for negative $15 million dollars sits as an empty field for the next decade while four million people drive buy it and say "Hey, we had some good times there."

The property from both a taxable and use value is worth more as a Theme Park then as a shopping mall / mixed use property. Not to mention the economic benefits and large swath of jobs it brings.

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
On second thought, I'm thinking that CGA might not close after all. Cedar Fair's lease on the park runs through 2039 (it would cost a fortune to end the lease and buy the land before then). Additionally, Cedar Fair stated in a recent conference call that they believe CGA has significant potential for growth, therefore they'd probably be reluctant to sell that park. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!