Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Carowinds 2019 - Copperhead Strike: Mack Double Launch

Carowinds 2019 - Copperhead Strike: Mack Double Launch

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post August 4th, 2018, 2:30 pm

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,018.00 Points
Traintastic26 wrote:
Possible annoucement date???

Source: https://twitter.com/Carowinds?ref_src=t ... r%5Eauthor

Hmm, "Loop", "Roll", "Maneuvers".

Post August 7th, 2018, 9:20 am
Traintastic26 News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 7,584.00 Points

Post August 9th, 2018, 11:51 am

Points on hand: 1,187.00 Points
Biggest announcement in Carowinds history... I'm not the only one that remembers this park announcing some major, expensive, thrilling, world class giga coaster a few years ago right? :lol:

Post August 11th, 2018, 6:01 am
News Writer

Interesting new teasers from the parks twitter account:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1027532484492382208

https://twitter.com/i/status/1026538459786297345

Also, here's a great video of the newly arrived supports as well as the current construction site.

Source: https://twitter.com/Carowinds

Post August 30th, 2018, 7:43 am
News Writer

Post August 30th, 2018, 7:53 am

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points
Plot twist: Project Alpha is the actual ride's name and themed to this.

Post August 30th, 2018, 9:31 am

Points on hand: 4,433.00 Points
Okay Copperhead Strike looks AMAZING
I'm a fan
*Likes Taron, Untamed, Troy and Colorado Adventure a lot*

Post August 30th, 2018, 10:51 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points

The Carolinas' First Double Launch Coaster

Everybody knew about her delicious concoction. Best for miles around. She???d won blue ribbons at the county fair for 40 years with that jam, but no more. Granny Byrd???s recipe is gonna be yours. But to get your hands on it, you gotta head way, way out to a run-down, broken-down farm at the far edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Word has it there are lots of copperheads around there, so be careful.

When you get to the farm???s huge shed ??? that???s got to be the headquarters of her jam operation with all that banging and clanging ??? you get the strange sense that something???s not right. Peeking in, you see that she???s cookin??? something alright ??? and in big, copper vats ??? but it sure ain???t jam. It???s something with quite a bit more bite that could get you in a huge heap of trouble if you???re caught with it.

After a sudden commotion, a shrill voice hollers, ???Trespassers! Y???all git outta here!??? A gun cocks and you high-tail it out. Your getaway vehicle? Carowinds??? newest thrill ride, Copperhead Strike. As the first double launch roller coaster in the Carolinas, Copperhead Strike delivers twice the boost and twice the bite. ???Double launch??? means not only does the ride take off at an incredible 0 to 42 miles per hour in 2.5 seconds, but midway through a second thrust of acceleration launches you into the next half of the experience. A series of fast, tight, close-to-the-ground maneuvers are tangled with five head-over-heels inversions -- the most of any double launch coaster in North America. What???s more, this serpent of a ride never lets up throughout the entire chase ??? over half a mile of steel and adrenaline.

Ready for this backwoods adventure? Coming spring 2019, it will be ready for you ??? only at Carowinds.

Ride Stats

Coaster Type: Double Launch coaster
Launching System: Linear Synchron Motor (LSM)
Number of Launches: 2
First Launch: From 0 to 42 mph in 2.5 seconds
Second Launch: From 35 mph to 50 mph in 2 seconds
Track Length: 3,255 feet
Number of Inversions: 5
Duration: 2 minutes, 24 seconds
Height Requirement: 52"
Trains: 3
Riders per Train: 16
Amount of Steel Used: 530 tons
Ride Manufacturer: MACK Rides GmbH & Co KG, Waldkirch, Germany

https://www.carowinds.com/play/rides/copperhead-strike
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post August 30th, 2018, 11:27 am

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
Looks like it has some unique elements, the launch airtime hill looks cool. Seems like they???re going for more family/everyone audience. Not trying to scare the GP by making it ???look??? to crazy. Kinda using the maverick model. Look small to invite them in but pack a punch.

Post August 30th, 2018, 1:07 pm

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,018.00 Points
Anyone else think the roll out of the station looks too slow?

Post August 30th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Points on hand: 1,187.00 Points
Love the Jojo roll and the second launch, but nothing else really stands out to me. Looks fun, just maybe a bit tamer than I was expecting.

Post August 30th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Some of the pacing in the animation is a bit sketch, but in the case of that roll, slower is more fun. I loved the one on Hydra, way more than expected. It's silly and seems pointless but it's just really fun to ride IMO.

I think that applies in their cutback, it's super slow but it's upside down so that's cool.

Especially since it's a launch coaster, I think we have to see what it actually turns out to be like to come up with a final opinion. Pacing can vary a decent amount from what's shown.

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Of what's been announced for 2019 so far, I'd say this looks like the best new coaster. That said, I'm not generally quite as impressed with Mack as some are, so rather than rush out to Carowinds next year to try this I'll just wait until I have reason to visit North Carolina again for a visit (given that my brother lives there, it probably will be within the next couple years). It looks like a very good coaster and an excellent fit for the park, it just falls a little short of what I'd consider a world class launch coaster.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

News Writer

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
This ride actually looks like a lot of fun!

Also, take that NoLimits people! Launches can be curved too! :lol:
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Points on hand: 1,304.00 Points
Caro is my homepark, and I was pretty underwhelmed by this announcement. This is supposed to be the ???biggest investment in park history???, yet it is UNDER A HUNDRED FEET TALL! Come on, if Carowinds was a small Cedar Fair park like Michigan???s Adventure/Valleyfair/Worlds of Fun, this would???ve been logical, but compared to the sizes of the other MACK multilaunches this is pathetic... ICON is longer, and Caro had a lot more space to work with than Pleasure Beach yet they chose an even tinier ride. Still I???ll be there for passholder preview day, most likely. Oh and I had a question; where did the 82 foot height come from? I just saw that stat on Wikipedia and it???s not on RCDB, so is it an assumption or is it true? I can???t seem to find confirmation on the Caro website.
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Points on hand: 15,350.90 Points

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
EEEEsh watered-down scam Maverick is more expensive than Fury?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 1,304.00 Points
Soko wrote:
Wonder how it justifies being more expensive than Fury.

Maybe the hotel too (I doubt Caro is paying for the whole thing)
1. Voyage 2. Intimidator 305 3. Maverick 4. Skyrush 5. Mindbender (Galaxyland) 6. Fury 325 7. Kumba 8. Goliath (Six Flags Over Georgia) 9. The Beast 10. Phoenix

Out of 139 creds

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Yeah, if I remember correctly, that price is including all expansions.
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

Points on hand: 4,433.00 Points
Traintastic26 wrote:
Track being manufactured at Mack Rides Plant:

The color looked better in the animation???

Soko wrote:
Wonder how it justifies being more expensive than Fury.

Maybe the theming?
And, as said before, the hotel is counted with that announcement?
*Likes Taron, Untamed, Troy and Colorado Adventure a lot*

News Writer

I believe the reason why this is more expensive than Fury is because of the fact that the coaster is being manufactured in Germany and is being shipped across the Atlantic, while Fury was manufactured at Clermont Steel Fabricators, Ohio.

Points on hand: 5,657.00 Points
More transformational features will open at Carowinds in 2019: The new SpringHill Suites by Marriott at Carowinds, a 130-room hotel currently under construction, is expected to welcome its first guests late in the year. Also added for the first time is a new dormitory to house students from across the region and around the world, allowing the park to develop programs such as a full internship for travel and tourism students. These features, along with the new roller coaster and themed area, encompass the largest investment in the park since its opening in 1973
[19:34:14] RideWarriorNation: jim
[19:34:27] RideWarriorNation: can you pls change sig
[19:35:22] Jcoasters: ok
[19:35:39] RideWarriorNation: ty

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,048.00 Points
Kw6sTheater wrote:
Caro is my homepark, and I was pretty underwhelmed by this announcement. This is supposed to be the ???biggest investment in park history???, yet it is UNDER A HUNDRED FEET TALL! Come on, if Carowinds was a small Cedar Fair park like Michigan???s Adventure/Valleyfair/Worlds of Fun, this would???ve been logical, but compared to the sizes of the other MACK multilaunches this is pathetic... ICON is longer, and Caro had a lot more space to work with than Pleasure Beach yet they chose an even tinier ride. Still I???ll be there for passholder preview day, most likely. Oh and I had a question; where did the 82 foot height come from? I just saw that stat on Wikipedia and it???s not on RCDB, so is it an assumption or is it true? I can???t seem to find confirmation on the Caro website.

Size and length are hardly defining stats on what makes a good coaster - the pacing looks decent and there's a nice array of elements in there that have a good degree of snap. Looks like some decent airtime too thrown in with the hangtime elements. It might well be decent at everything without being an absolute standout coaster in terms of worldwide appeal - doesn't mean the ride will be underwhelming (except from the first launch lol Mack launches)
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!