Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Carowinds New Roller Coaster For 2010: Intimidator

Carowinds New Roller Coaster For 2010: Intimidator

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post August 29th, 2009, 1:27 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

as I said in the other Intimidator thread, I know exaclty why it is called what it is called and the why it's themed to look the way it is because of it. But I am sorry, "Intimidator" is a bloody awful name for a rollercoaster. It's what you'd expect the roller coaster to be called if they went on one in a Simpsons episode or something, it's laughable.

And I don't hate NASCAR, I usually try and catch it if it's on tv here (which it is often isn't), but as for your question "What do you put on the zero car if your theme is NASCAR?", the answer a simple; you don't theme your rollercoaster after NASCAR. It's an awful theme, it really is, and I actually quite like NASCAR.

NASCAR might be a half decent theme for a coaster like Ring Racer (apart from the fact that they have fairly poor acceleration figures), but really, it's not a theme for a 305ft tall, twisted layout type coaster. And neither is it a theme for a B&M out and back hyper coaster.

Post August 29th, 2009, 1:32 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Why not?

Intimidator is no more bloody aweful of a name than Nemesis. Oooo. Nemesis. I dont have a nemesis. Means nothing to me.

Its not like they only race ovals...

Ever seen them race at Sears Point? Yea, thats a literal roller coaster track. One of the most undulating tracks Ive EVER seen apart from the Ring. But even thats different. Sears Point is more like a coaster in its movements up and around the terrain.

You must miss that race twice a year. That track alone, apart from Watkins Glen, makes it a totally viable theme.

Post August 29th, 2009, 1:35 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

How is Intimidator the same as Nemesis? Intimidator sound so...... American. It really is awful.

Post August 29th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
Hey!
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post August 29th, 2009, 2:35 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
And I knew youd prove yourself worthy Gouldy ;) Your bias will forever precede you. I just needed you to say it. Its not that the theme is bad, its because its American and we all know how you detest America.

Which is fine. But letting that bias affect your opinion of a rides theme and such - especially in the area the rides are installed (A heavy NASCAR area) its a perfect theme. I do not know how they could have better pulled it off.

BTW Nemesis seems so generic to me. But it works. Throw a fake monster, paint the track and bury the ride and voila - suddenly a boring, unimaginative name comes alive. Especially for the area its in.

Installing fast, sweeping roller coasters and themeing to NASCAR in a NASCAR area of the US is perfect! Bias aside, its an excellent choice to get people to the park and also for DEI to promote Dales namesake.

I never was a Dale fan, however, I wish we had him back. NASCAR is the drama-queen capital of sports and I got tired of it as soon as all the young kids came in, yelling, screamin and crying when they got bumped. Then having a cat fight in the pits. Thank goodness these rides dont epitomize any of that.

Post August 29th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Points on hand: 462.00 Points
Originally posted by gouldy

How is Intimidator the same as Nemesis? Intimidator sound so...... American. It really is awful.

The exact reason you don't like it is why it is brilliant theme from a general public standpoint. They don't make a living off of roller coaster enthusiasts, they make bank from the throngs of redneck Americans who A. Love Nascar, B. Love Dale Earnhardt and C. will go to the ends of the earth to support anything that is Dale themed or approved, such as Budweiser beer. Not to mention the fact that these two parks, KD and Carowinds are located in the heart of Nascar country! The ride once on it will be no different no matter what the theme is, and by providing a Dale/Nascar theme, 80% of park goers will have a noticeably improved ride experience.

Post August 29th, 2009, 6:07 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by Real

Nemesis seems so generic to me.

well, it's the only one called Nemesis, apart from Nemesis:Inferno (which is also a gay name), which came years later. So it can't be that generic.

I don't detest America either, I think it is a wonderful country... filled with cretins. [lol] (Please be aware that much of the derision of America is merely an act, I work on provocation, it amuses myself haha.) Seriously though, I don't actually detest America, as much as it may seem it sometimes.

But whatever is said, to me calling a roller coaster "Intimidator", just sounds like someone jizzing into my actual ear drum. Regardless of the history behind the name and the relevance of the location these rides find themselves in, the name is HORRIBLE.

But fortunately, I'm a coaster enthusiast and the name of the ride means not a lot to me, and as it is, this one in particular seems a pretty a good one. It's just a shame that the cream on the top of the cake is made from dog turd.

Post September 17th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Points on hand: 5,850.00 Points

it looks too similar to Behemoth at Canada's Wonderland.
Dont buy starbucks coffee

its poison

Post September 19th, 2009, 9:30 pm

Points on hand: 908.00 Points
for some reason, i think that carowind's intimdator is going to be more fun that kd's.. just because kd's is 3 hills and a bunch of turns.

Post September 19th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
I agree...KD's looks alot like a bigger Maverick in a way...lots of turns and a few distinctive hills. Carowinds will have much more airtime I think.

Post December 28th, 2009, 3:51 pm

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Construction finished, testing will likely begin in February.

Post December 28th, 2009, 5:13 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Originally posted by Real

You must miss that race twice a year. That track alone, apart from Watkins Glen, makes it a totally viable theme.

Its funny you mention watkins glen. My dad has been wanting me to somehow work a coaster out of that track for years.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post December 28th, 2009, 9:53 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I still prefer KD's Intimidator 305 over this one. I prefer Intamin's quick transitions over B&M's slow ones and would ride maverick over a B&M hyper any day. since 305 is pretty much maverick with a 300 ft drop I think I will enjoy it far more than the Carowind's Intimidator
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 29th, 2009, 2:45 am

Points on hand: 761.00 Points
Ouch, Maverick damn near broke my legs. I hate those love restraints.

Post December 29th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
^IKR!!!! Its a great ride but come on those restraints SUCK!!!

Post January 10th, 2010, 9:03 am

Points on hand: 1,603.00 Points
Maverick would be my #1 if the restraints weren't like coffins. It really hurts going through those quick transitions, but I'd bet with simple lap bars I305 would be just plain epic. The park said the restraint style seen in the animation is wrong, they said it'd be like the ones for Pilgrims Plunge or Shoot the Rapids. So I305 will probably be very good.

I'd also like to point out that my #1 is still Diamondback, another B&M hyper...

Post January 10th, 2010, 9:49 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

pleh, the restraints didn't bother me. if you lean with the transitions they hardly even touch you.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post February 8th, 2010, 8:51 pm

Points on hand: 1,289.00 Points

Post February 8th, 2010, 8:54 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Youtube link FAIL!

Edit: Nvm, now it works.

Re Edit: No it doesn't, the window says "an error occurred"

Post February 8th, 2010, 9:55 pm

Points on hand: 1,289.00 Points

Post February 8th, 2010, 10:10 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Originally posted by slosprint

pleh, the restraints didn't bother me. if you lean with the transitions they hardly even touch you.

Its no so much the straps that are bothersome, its the way the restraints dig into your thigh with every transition.

Post February 8th, 2010, 10:20 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Nascar is a stupid sport. All of the fat inbreds go watch it for the crashes, and then wonder why someone died when they hit a wall at 200mph do into this "we need track safety" crap.

I also hate how this is probably the worst B&M hyper aside from raging Bull and possibly Hollywood Dream.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 8th, 2010, 10:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,038.00 Points
I have no clue why B&M keeps flaunting those hideous trains. While it's good that they're showing change, they need to show change for the better. This coaster is just as big as a failure as previous B&M hypers, just in a different layout. I dont know if they turned the first hill for spacing reasons, or to make the hill seem taller, but thats not the way to add excitement.
If you want to add some excitement to the first air hill, double up on the ascent, and if you just HAVE to have that turn in there, bank it just a little bit. The banking combined with the double dip will make the hill seem taller to the riders, while also giving more vertical g's positively and negatively. Just make a steep quick decent to get the full effect.

The recent B&M hypers have just been lazy. Word of mouth is more powerful than most people think, and if you air tons of commercials hyping up a ride, and it turns out the ride sucks, that does more damage than anything. Dont over-exaggerate, if your going to make a big deal out of a coaster that dosen't go upside down, squeeze the most out of every element.

Whoa, thats big post.

Post February 8th, 2010, 11:34 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by MrPhilly

I have no clue why B&M keeps flaunting those hideous trains. While it's good that they're showing change, they need to show change for the better.

It is. Longer train = more G forces.

I view it as the worst because of the turnaround, the S hill, and the MCBR positioning. The trains are not the problem.

PS shouldn't your other username be working?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post February 9th, 2010, 12:07 am

Points on hand: 1,038.00 Points
Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Originally posted by MrPhilly

I have no clue why B&M keeps flaunting those hideous trains. While it's good that they're showing change, they need to show change for the better.

I view it as the worst because of the turnaround, the S hill, and the MCBR positioning. The trains are not the problem.

I agree about the mid course brake run. It's placed to an extent that allows speed to get the best of the ride, but its also placed at a point where it almost voids the whole point. But i just dont like the trains because they kill the variation in pacing. The ride seems to maintain an average speed for low and high points. While keeping a constant high speed is good, it's hard to absorb the speedy moments without the draggy ones. While thats no reason to include oversized elements, it just means create some high points where the ride dallies for a bit, then descends and resumes the speedy scenario.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!