Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions CCA2008 - Round 2 - Best Wooden Coaster

CCA2008 - Round 2 - Best Wooden Coaster

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 24th, 2009, 1:00 am

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

CoasterCrazy Awards(CCA)- 2008

In this thread, the second round of the CCA?????????s will run, where you will decide the best of the best in the amusement park industry (Number One Roller Coaster, Best New Ride of 2008, etc.) through a single elimination bracket!

In each round, a bracket will be made up. Each round will last five days until we get down to the final coaster/ride/etc, which will be entered into the CCA Hall of Fame for that year. (Because this is the first year, and it started late; we will be voting for 2008 winners until about March.)

The Current Round is: Number One Wooden Roller Coaster

Bracket Can Be Found By Clicking Here

Voting begins now to see who moves onto the final. Select your choices from the pairs below, and make sure to check out the bracket above as well. After a final total of 2,859 votes in the previous round, the winner won by only ONE vote, so every vote counts!

If you have any questions or comments regarding the awards, or would like to leave some input, please drop me a PM or leave a message here, it will be greatly appreciated.

Next Round to take place will be: Number One Steel Roller Coaster- 2008 and will begin on a scheduled February 15th
Last edited by Austin on February 9th, 2009, 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post January 24th, 2009, 1:02 am

Voting Ends February 15, Sunday, at 11:59 PM Eastern Time, and the next round, world best steel roller coaster, will begin shortly afterward.

Bracket Can Be Found By Clicking Here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Previous Round's Voting Result's:

Post January 24th, 2009, 1:25 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,562.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I am rooting for the home town hero, Ghostrider!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post January 24th, 2009, 6:20 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Omg, again all different types against eachother in the first round. GCI vs GG, GCI vs Intamin, Intamin vs CCI... Is it that hard to put the first round together with similar rides?

I'm voting tonnerre over balder, come on... Tonnerre has it all, balder has only the airtime...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post January 24th, 2009, 9:17 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

I also voted for Tonnerre...
It looks amazing. Balder does too, but Tonerre looks more amazing. :P
Anyway, these answers are really hard to choose... as Dirk said, they're pretty much very random, and could result in catastrophic results...
I mean, for instance, Phoenix against El Torro in the second round...
Both are top 5 woodys, but one of them won't make in this poll...

Post January 24th, 2009, 10:01 am

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

I don't see the point you guys are trying to make about grouping the same manufacturers together. They are all wooden coasters.

The best coaster should be able to outvote any coaster it is put up against, no matter the manufacturer.

Post January 24th, 2009, 10:48 am

If we pair them up like you guys are saying, we would have things like El Toro and T Express against eachother. Two coasters that both have a very good chance of making it to the top four. It would leave out coasters that have huge chances. Sometimes, no CCI's will make it into the top four, but if we pair them up the way you are saying, they most definatly would.

So, yes, it is that hard to put similar rides together on the first round. Last round I admit could've been better, but I tried many ways and even had many others look at a ton of possibilities this round. This seemed best to all.

Post January 24th, 2009, 11:35 am

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

I think you did it well on this round. If a ride truly is better than the other than it should get more votes.

Afterall, this is a vote for THE best wooden roller coaster, not the second and third best.

Post January 24th, 2009, 1:42 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Originally posted by Oscar

I am rooting for the home town hero, Ghostrider!
Roger that!!
Sometimes the best thing to say is nothing at all.

Post January 24th, 2009, 2:04 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Does it make sense that we voted the best roller coaster in the world Boulder Dash, and now we're going to vote to find out the best wooden roller coaster in the world. No, it doesn't...

Post January 24th, 2009, 2:18 pm

We already had that dicussion in the last cc awards topic. Yes, the first round was placed at the wrong spot, we should've gotten one winner each for wood and steel, and then matched those two againt eachother. But we went on with the last round anyway. We'll see 2nd-4th place this way as well...

Post January 24th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Aight I must've missed that. I guess that's cool. Plus this way more wooden roller coasters appeared.

Post January 24th, 2009, 3:38 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Just a though Austin, how about posting POV links for each coaster? That way people can "ride" each coaster before voting. Other then that, this is much better then the last poll.

Go Phoenix!

Post January 24th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Originally posted by Austin

We'll see 2nd-4th place this way as well...

But, the way the polls were put together, the results won't be accurate...
I mean, Troy and T-Express are both awesome woodys, but one of them will get eliminated in the first round...
Also, El Toro vs. Phoenix in the 2nd round, and Ravine Flyer II vs. the Voyege...
^Some of those top 10 coasters will get eliminated, and a worse coaster will take its place...

Post January 24th, 2009, 6:40 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I'm surprised that it's so close between T Express and Troy, after winning the Mitch Hawker poll and getting Robb Alvey's vote for the best coaster in the world...

Post January 24th, 2009, 6:56 pm

Originally posted by Vid_w

Originally posted by Austin

We'll see 2nd-4th place this way as well...

But, the way the polls were put together, the results won't be accurate...
I mean, Troy and T-Express are both awesome woodys, but one of them will get eliminated in the first round...
Also, El Toro vs. Phoenix in the 2nd round, and Ravine Flyer II vs. the Voyege...
^Some of those top 10 coasters will get eliminated, and a worse coaster will take its place...

There's only 16 coasters![lol]
Yes, it's kinda obvious that top ten coasters will be eliminated.
Once again, the bracket was set up as well as possible. Try moving things around yourself, you'll see other problems.

Post January 24th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

Originally posted by cjd

I'm surprised that it's so close between T Express and Troy, after winning the Mitch Hawker poll and getting Robb Alvey's vote for the best coaster in the world...

Things that T Express doesn't have:

-A decent name
-A seamless first drop (I think they would have been better served to not go stat-hunting here)
-Significant floater airtime
-More than 2 consecutive moments of airtime without a large turn between them (well, except for the very end, I guess)
-Significant lateral forces
-Terrain interaction, though the stacked track acts as a kind of tunnel
-Unusual/original/unique elements (maybe the stacked track counts?)
-Statistical rigor in its #1 ranking :P

All that being said, it looks like a great ride which could be called better than Troy for many reasons. In my mind either The Voyage or El Toro ought to be number one, though I haven't ridden El Toro and wouldn't be likely to rank it higher than The Voyage.

Post January 24th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Originally posted by Kevin Brennan

-A seamless first drop (I think they would have been better served to not go stat-hunting here)
-More than 2 consecutive moments of airtime without a large turn between them (well, except for the very end, I guess)
-Terrain interaction, though the stacked track acts as a kind of tunnel
-Unusual/original/unique elements (maybe the stacked track counts?)

I counted 6 consecutive moments of two or more airtime moments in a row. And that's more than many coasters. There's almost always turns in between air hills. Something like that is dumb to base something on. Even Nitro, made for airtime, only has 3 times that there's two or more moments of airtime without a large turn between them.
The first S turns at the beginning of the ride are terrain interactive. And pretty much you have headchoppers the whole time your riding.
Look at this POV, and watch above you. It's absolutely insane.
I think the whole thing is unique. Very small space, built on the side of a hill. And the fact that it has the worlds steepest wooden coaster drop I don't think was there reason to attract riders. I'm sure they don't advertise it that way.

Looks like terrain interaction to me. Pretty cool to be below a huge mountain, and feel like you're not in the air at all when looking to your right, but to your left your 200 feet above the ground

Post January 24th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
T Express looks like it has one of the best first drop of any ride in the world, not sure how that could be a negative. I love how small the transition is between the pullover and pullout, and the fact that it's that steep over less height than El Toro and with the same length train is pretty awesome. The air seems to start a little earlier as the first half of the pullover looks like it may be less circular than El Toro's, which means a quicker transition into possibly slightly higher negatives for maybe a little longer period of time, with the same incredible slope and a transition into positives so fast that you can't prepare yourself. Insane.

Post January 24th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Originally posted by Tetsu

Just a though Austin, how about posting POV links for each coaster? That way people can "ride" each coaster before voting. Other then that, this is much better then the last poll.

Go Phoenix!

I'll see what I can do as the tournament goes on, I've got Terms all next week and don't have time to link um all up right now. Maybe next match-ups, and if not, definitely for the ones after that.

Post January 24th, 2009, 9:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

^^Yep, that first point was just a personal preference. I agree with you, but I just don't prefer that style on a first drop.

It is not "dumb" to consider any criteria. Making a statement about the average number of airtime moments between major turns (with proper duration weighting, don't get picky on me) is an excellent way of assessing whether a ride is more of an out-and-back or a twister; people often prefer one of these types over the other. T Express has a bunch of ~180* turns that facilitate a dense layout, which is a mixed blessing. I never said anything about headchoppers, as the ride clearly has those in abundance. T Express is a great ride, but I'm just pointing out why preferences fall the way they do.

Post January 25th, 2009, 10:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,004.00 Points
I personally don't think any of Intamin's pre-fab coasters are that amazing with the exception of Balder. They are extremely over-rated in my opinion, and are weighed by people who like things "tall" or "fast" rather than a ride that actually has a unique quality. T-Express is just another rip-off of El Toro, and it really doesn't seem like it should be the "best coaster in the world." Sorry Rob. haha
Just keep scrolling...

Post January 27th, 2009, 1:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,117.00 Points

why are 3 coasters that are made out of less then 20% of the structure through to the next round?? I thought it was a wooden coaster competition. However I really do like Voyage, but to say Ravine Flyer II is better than Thunderhead....

3 other coasters don't deserve to be called woody as well, one of them is already out. But those intamin "plug & play" woodys are just steel coasters with wooden supports.

But hey thats my opinion, the real woody's in the world are build by GCI, rcaa or even Gravity group when using wooden supports.... handcrafted at location.

Post January 27th, 2009, 1:34 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
^And who are you to decide that? The tracks the cars roll on are wood. Doesn't matter how you support it or manufacture it. Wood is wood.

And besides, since Gemini has steel supports, would that be a steelie then?

Post January 27th, 2009, 2:18 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

^technically, if a coaster uses wood track with a flat steel running rail, it is a wood coaster regardless of build materials. And if a coaster has tubular steel track, it is a steel coaster regardless of materials.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions