Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions CCA2008 - Round 2 - Best Wooden Coaster

CCA2008 - Round 2 - Best Wooden Coaster

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 31st, 2009, 4:39 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by dcs221

haha hyyyper, El Toro with buzzbars? That'd be incredible while it lasts...which will be until around the first drop where everyone in the back half of the train is ejected, and the first hill where the rest are thrown into Lahaway creek :P

You first ;)

Why not? When we had ERT on Phoenix I climbed into a car while the restraint was locked. I'm not a big or fat guy, and I made it into the thing in like 30 seconds with a lot of effort.
Even the airtime on Torro does not get you out of a buzz-bar.

Post January 31st, 2009, 5:12 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
The fact that you climbed into the car when the restraint was locked is the problem.

I truthfully think, even if you didn't come out, the slams entering the 2 hills I mentioned, in the front of the train, could be hard/strong enough to possibly produce whiplash that wouldn't be pleasant to some riders. I don't know for sure, but if I was designing a ride with the transitions and magnitude of forces of El Toro, I would personally call that a reason why I wouldn't use buzzbars. I don't think any ride outside of Dodonpa and Hypersonic and of course T Express and Balder (I purposely left out Colossos) had ridiculous force changes in both magnitude and time, and all those rides have generally tight fitting restraints.

And btw, not all riders are your size...just because you're not fat or a little kid doesn't mean there aren't thousands and thousands of either size that would ride the coaster. I just don't think buzzbars would be completely safe on a ride like that.

Post February 8th, 2009, 10:48 am

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Only 13 Votes so far in each category! Get voting, these winners will move to the finals!

Post February 9th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,944.00 Points

Originally posted by Oscar

I am rooting for the home town hero, Ghostrider!

I was too but sadly it lost :(

Post February 9th, 2009, 7:11 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
haha, BD with a 90% vs voyage with only 10% I doubt the poll is going to change [lol]
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post February 9th, 2009, 8:23 pm

Points on hand: 108.00 Points

Post February 9th, 2009, 10:36 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Oh! Big shocker! It's BOULDER DASH!!!!!!!!!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post February 10th, 2009, 3:13 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

Omg, again all different types against eachother in the first round. GCI vs GG, GCI vs Intamin, Intamin vs CCI... Is it that hard to put the first round together with similar rides?

I'm voting tonnerre over balder, come on... Tonnerre has it all, balder has only the airtime...

I dont think you should sub categorize by ride builder. This isnt a contest on who has more airtime, or more laterals, its which ride do you like or enjoy more. Now, whatever reason that is, is cool but doesnt matter!

Its just a general "Which ride does the populous like better" and thus theres no reason to categorize. Actually, it would be unfair anyways.

To bring up the "true wooden" thing again (cause I love to cause riffs) dont the prefabs use poly urethane wheels as well as a non-steel (metal) riding rails? The pictures and video never made it look like it rides on metal rails. Screw the whole "8 layer" wood thing, I can live without that. But Its kinda hard for me to accept that when the very wheels it rides on and plates for riding rails are...well...not even in the ballpark of woodies and more closely related to steelies.

Not traditional, well thats obvious. True? I think Hybrid is a more accurate term. Like a Hybrid car isnt a true combustion car, since part of its power comes from an electric motor. Doesnt make it any less fun, just its own type of ride.

But just like a modern steel coaster started with metal, tubular rails and concave wheels with the Matterhorn, the modern wooden coaster is metal wheels riding on a metal plated track. Steelies have gotten smoother wheels, shocks etc, but they still ride on tubular steel tracks and nylon wheels. Whether its poly or nylon, the materials are basically coating the steel wheel to provide a smoother, more effective ride.

I love this conversation...mwahaha

Post February 10th, 2009, 3:59 pm

I still don't understand what wheels have to do with a ride being wooden or steel. Both Intamin and other company wooden coasters ride on metal rails ontop of wood...that doesn't change. Wheels affect the way the ride behaves but not the category. Technology has "improved," depending on whether you want to consider it an improvement, and the result is a smoother ride on the same wood with metal railings.

So I reiterate. Traditional, no not really. Wooden? Fully, and not hybrid. I think the fact that I wouldn't call it traditional takes into account the difference in wheels that you mentioned and maybe the construction method, so to call it a hybrid is unnecessary and inaccurate in my mind.

I think the reason rides like Voyage can be called hybrids is because a huge percentage of the structure, which was wood, is now steel. Yes, wooden rides are categorized by their track, but they're called wooden, and their structure is wood. So, if you change their structure, you have a partially wooden and partially steel ride. Because the tracks are a metal rail on wood, it's still a wooden coaster, but the supports being steel instead of wooden make it a hybrid. The difference with Intamin is that everything's basically the same except for the construction and wheels/shocks(if there are any)/etc... and none of that substitutes a different material for wood.

Hopefully that at least partially doused your fire haha :)

Post February 10th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

Let's e-mail Intamin to change all their prefab woodys' supports to steel, so we can call them hybrids and everyone will be happy...

As for me, I still think it's a rollercoaster!

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:04 pm

haha, but then people would argue whether it's a hybrid wooden coaster, or a hybrid steel coaster! Problem not solved :P

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:14 pm

So Dan, since most of Gemini is made of wood, its a woodie?

Structure has little to do with what a ride is. The wheels and running rails do.

See, Im not even talking about the structure materials because it doesnt mean much to the ride. I dont find a ride held up with steel supports (Voyage) to run much differently from a ride built with wood. Im sure there are structural implications to everything because of it, but the structure doesnt change the rails and the types of wheels used on it. I could build a wooden coaster using B&M supports. Heck, I could do it like they did SoB's loop. Just like I could use wooden supports to hold up a steel track (hmm...Arrow and Vekoma made a few of those)

But the running rails and thus wheels are really the only defining factor between a steel and wooden coaster. By your definition, Gemini is a woodie and Voyage is a steelie. Im not trying to create a million sub categories as you would be, calling Voyage a wooden traditional hybrid and an intamin a non-traditional woodie. Or Gemini a...I dont even know what. A non-traditional wooden steelie?

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:16 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I think if a roller coaster is fun it doesn't matter what type it is.

And I think it's time for all the cry babies that don't post anything unless it pertains to Boulder Dash or how sentimental they are about the 'essence of wooden roller coasters' to go jump off El Toro. See that it really can give your stomach better adrenaline than you think [;)]

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:24 pm

Wow. Well aparently we are not allowed to discuss any topic that doesnt result in a fact or have a said ending.

Hear that guys? No more debates, discussions or talks (no matter how many times weve talked about it) unless there is a definite answer to it. No more opinions...

People cant tolerate a conversation anymore. :(

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:30 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:47 pm

You misunderstood me Real. I noted that the track is the deciding factor, and didn't say the supports have anything to do with what the ride type is...except to indicate whether or not the ride is a hybrid. I know the Gemini and Voyage arguments and they're not for me because I agree with you haha. I don't, however, agree that the wheels affect a ride category. Both traditional woodies and Intamin prefabs probably have the same amount of steel in the wheels, but Intamins have a layer of poly urethane as you said. I just don't think that has anything to do with a ride categorization.

Yeah, I also don't care what type a ride is as long as the experience is one that I enjoy, but at the same time even if there are some disagreements I don't think there's a problem with debating a categorization.

btw, what's the difference between a wood block with a steel running rail, and wood beams and a steel running rail? That's really the only pertinent difference I see between Intamin prefab rails and more traditionally constucted ones, and I don't get how it's that significant other than to help create a smoother ride. GCI uses computers to design their rides, and they're smoother than real old rides where the designers may have used drafting tools. Same thing to me...and I don't consider GCIs to be anything but (generally excellent) normal wooden coasters.

Post February 10th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Everyone uses computers. That argument doesnt exist anymore.

I was trying to figure out, is what the prefabs run on a steel plate or something else? It sure doesnt look metal in most pictures.

Gerst...your post makes no sense. You're the one who is trying to stop this conversation. Its the first time (in this topic) that Ive even posted. Am I not allowed to converse about this?

Lets not be the Posting Police. I definatly think Im not one youve gotta worry about when it comes to posting content or flaming.

Post February 10th, 2009, 8:47 pm

Oh, I'm not sure what the running rail is made of...I always assumed steel like what I thought most of the rest of wooden ride running rails are made of. Not sure if that's real significant as far as categorization goes, since if it made a difference, then wooden rides would be called steel lol. Good question though...who knows, maybe it is a different material. I wouldn't be surprised.

Post February 15th, 2009, 12:26 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

haha, BD with a 90% vs voyage with only 10% I doubt the poll is going to change [lol]

You sure about that Dirk? lol

Post February 15th, 2009, 6:49 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Looks like The Voyage is edging out Boulder Dash by just 1 vote. Talk about it coming down to the wire! Anyway, off I go to read! Stupid university work :-\
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post February 16th, 2009, 1:13 am

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Congratulations to Boulder Dash, named, ?????????Best Wooden Roller Coaster in the World????????? by CoasterCrazy members!

This 4,672 foot wooden roller coaster uses Lake Compounce's natural mountainous terrain, complete with trees and boulders within close proximity of the track. The lift climbs the train up the mountainside and then disappears from view. When the train reappears, it has completed its first drop of 115 feet and is traveling sixty miles per hour as it crosses over itself and flies over the station. The first half of the ride is mostly hidden as the train climbs and drops along the mountainside. The ride finishes with air hills along the edge of a lake.

Round 3 will begin Today in the morning.

Post February 16th, 2009, 1:53 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,602.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

I demand a recount, one vote win, come on!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post February 16th, 2009, 2:24 am

Points on hand: 1,308.00 Points
I would have voted Voyage but came to late. I agree with Oscar that a revote should be done. 1 vote is not enough!

Post February 16th, 2009, 3:33 am

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

A re-vote? I'm pretty sure Oscar wasn't seriously suggesting a re-vote...Dash still won. Yaaaay <3

It won for a reason everyone, so no complaining! [lol]

Post March 27th, 2009, 3:45 pm

Points on hand: 1,301.00 Points
Montezum - Hopi Hari - Brazil is amazing and Wonderfull !!!!

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions