Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Cedar Point- WOOD you believe it?

Cedar Point- WOOD you believe it?

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post October 12th, 2008, 9:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Yea Mean Streak would be a good ride with more speed and less trims and more air as a result...plus I love ripping through a giant wooden structure...it just feels awesome...but I think it's only a matter of time til they rip it out and put a GCI in.

Post October 12th, 2008, 10:11 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's slow? Doesn't it hit like 50mph at the bottom of the drop?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 13th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Points on hand: 106.00 Points
Well I dont go on that ride anymore becasue I get a huge headache EVERY time and it is so un smooth. And it seems so slow because those trim kill you and make the drop crap!

Post October 13th, 2008, 10:14 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Didn't ride it on my trip this weekend, but I noticed driving by it that there's quite a bit of wood beside it now.

Post October 14th, 2008, 11:55 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by tmv8888

screw re-tracking it... Knock the damn thing down and put a big ole shiny Intamin in its place! Who cares if they already have 4! they're pretty! and while there at it, knock over the stupid disaster transport and put a euro fighter there.

I like the cut of your jib.

Ive also been trying to get someone go in with me on the whole burning of MS.

It could be an Intamin prefab but that could be wood for the station...last time I checked they dont prefab that.

Post October 14th, 2008, 12:06 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
cedar point could really use an intamin prefab, and a euro, that would make that park fantastic, more so than it already is. Actually for that matter, it could just use a gerstlauer coaster in that park.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post October 14th, 2008, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 1,125.00 Points
Originally posted by Topdrag

Mean Streak is a CCI coaster

Post October 16th, 2008, 10:13 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Originally posted by cjd

The wood looks like the good ol' 2x4 southern yellow pine. Looks like coaster wood. Sadly, since GG predominantly uses steel structures nowadays, and Intamin would be shipping in segments, that greatly reduces both possibilities.
thank god!
mean streak looks like a beautiful ride, but i do understand that experience wise it isnt. hopefully this will make it run as good as it looks
and i will clear up my position on the fake woodies now as well. they DO look like fun rides, but the wood is simply redundant. they were designed so that park chains can have something wood looking in their park without the non enthusiasts complaining about it. without the wood structure you basically get a small hyper coaster with square rails and a wooden structure, with a layout slightly reminiscent of a real woody. my fear is that the idea is too lucrative to owners of thee parks and the idea will catch on and true wooden coasters will fall into extinction.. a coaster enthusiasts website is the last place these pouser coasters should be praised.

Post October 16th, 2008, 10:29 pm

^Except they're still completely sick rides, so I will be praising El Toro as long as I am still riding coasters! There's no way the classic wooden coaster is gonna be out of style, they're too different from Intamin pre-fabs. It's like saying H&M hypers won't exist anymore because Intamin hypers are being built.

Post October 16th, 2008, 10:44 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

Well i think i can say that it won't be an inta. Mainly because, if memory serves correct i read somewhere that because of the maverick incident with the zero-g-roll that they said they will never do buisness(sp?) with inta again. I could be wrong but i think thats what they said.

Post October 16th, 2008, 11:06 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Just cause yo read it doesn't mean it's right......
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 16th, 2008, 11:31 pm

Points on hand: 462.00 Points
I do believe that CP will not be getting any Intamin coasters anytime soon.

MF was a hit, But, Wicked Twister has plenty of downtime...TTD...well enough said...and Maverick with the whole Zero G roll mess.

Put all those together and thats about 85 million dollars!!! No we will be seeing B&M/GCI coasters more than likely. GCI at Valleyfair and Worlds of Fun and they have been trying to put one in Cali. B&M at KI and CW. I could see DT and Demon Drop being removed for the worlds tallest, fastest, and Longest B&M Dive Machine. I also would not be surprised if we see an interactive dark ride.

The only Intamin Ride i could imagine CP getting for a while may be an Auqa Trax. It covers the always need to add another coaster fix and a water ride all at once.

Post October 17th, 2008, 1:52 am

Points on hand: 3,535.00 Points
^ I don't even see CP getting an AquaTrax, Maverick is too similar to one for them to build one.
-Tony.

Post October 18th, 2008, 1:18 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Uhh...What Zero G roll mess? It was a heartline roll and it was taken care of well before the ride opened. Thats what testing like that is for. When you take a ride to the limit you cant say for certain it will work or feel right. Intamin did the right thing and I dont think CP was as upset with that as say they were with the amount of downtime TTD or MF has had.

Wicked Twister doesnt have nearly the downtime or the aforementioned two rides. WT had an issue with the towers swaying and then normal downtime that any of the impulse rides have with the magnets.

Not sure but your case isnt very strong...other than the fact that CF did I believe say they were kinda done with Intamin for a little bit at least.

Oh and a dive machine? I do not see that happening. Just dont. Especially in that area.

Post October 18th, 2008, 1:51 pm

Points on hand: 1,603.00 Points
Mean Streak doesn't deserve to be burned. The only coaster that has even crossed my mind of being burned is Son of Beast, and even that can be a good coaster if worked on.

Post October 18th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Points on hand: 226.00 Points
^Yeah I would not want to die from the poisonous gas that would then cover the area. Just get hit the damn thing over.

Post October 18th, 2008, 2:20 pm

Points on hand: 106.00 Points
I wish Cedar Point would get a Dive Machine. They Disaster Tranport just takes up space and they ride really sucks. Demon Drop is old, and make the skyline of that park ugly. I love Cedar and go at least 4 times a year but not those rides. They really need a Dive Machine, I would also love to see a Freuquent Faller or a Kirnu type ride, it would fit great there, but that wont even happend either.

Post October 18th, 2008, 3:02 pm

Points on hand: 935.00 Points

Post October 18th, 2008, 5:02 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

If Disaster Transport sucks then why did it have an over 30 minute wait with lots of families in line when I was there? The line moved quickly so obviously it wasn't capacity at fault, so maybe its, get this, a ride for FAMILIES to enjoy? But I guess you can't have that, Cedar Point definetely always needs the biggest and best mediocre coasters they can get for every 14 yearold "enthusiast" from Ohio to cream themselves over on internet message boards. If you really love the park so much why don't you look into how markets, draw, etc work rather than just wanting the "est" rides.

Post October 19th, 2008, 1:38 am

Points on hand: 935.00 Points
Well, I hear there is more wood than what is just in the spot shown in that pic. I haven't seen anything to confirm this yet.

And don't get me started on why CP needs family oriented areas...

Post October 21st, 2008, 5:02 pm

Points on hand: 121.00 Points

Post October 21st, 2008, 5:47 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points

Post October 21st, 2008, 5:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

Now, even though this wood has been used for refurbishment on coasters like Blue Streak, Mean Streak, Gemini and Mine Ride, that doesn't mean that all future deliveries like this are for the same purpose. We always try to tell you when something big arrives that gets our attention.

Naturally, we always have to wait and see where it goes!

I think they're getting at something. They wouldn't have thrown that tad bit out there for nothing.

Post October 21st, 2008, 6:12 pm

What's up with the age stereotype? I was 14 until about a month ago..

I don't understand why they had to make Disaster Transport the ugliest building in the world. It really wrecks the entire atmosphere of the area for me. The ride isn't bad for people getting out of the rain and anyone wanting a more mild ride, so yeah, I don't think it's going anywhere soon (unfortunately).

Post October 21st, 2008, 8:14 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I have no problem with disaster transport. In fact, I enjoy the themeing of the queue line (the ONLY themed line in the park, besides maybe Maverick...), and I enjoy the ride itself. It's a fun ride, in my opinion.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!