Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Cedar Point- WOOD you believe it?

Cedar Point- WOOD you believe it?

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post October 21st, 2008, 8:21 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Originally posted by CoasterStreak

http://www.cedarpoint.com/public/fun/blog/index.cfm

Just a regular refurb, or complete overhaul? They "say" it's a regular refurb...

wow, what a rip off.. sorry for you guys that live close by there.. that looks like a beautiful ride, and it doesnt look like they're doing ANYTHING to it's important parts.. well guess i wont be planning a trip to cedar point until i hear some good news..

Post October 21st, 2008, 8:51 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

Uhh...What Zero G roll mess? It was a heartline roll and it was taken care of well before the ride opened.

The opening was delayed. A new piece of track had to be built, shipped, installed, and testing needed to start over. Imagine living far away from Cedar Point to get to Maverick early in the season and have it being closed? I'd call it a mess.

Post October 21st, 2008, 8:55 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
^ Not so much a "mess" as it was a miscalculation.

Post October 21st, 2008, 9:16 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

I'd still call it a mess, I took a trip to ride it and it was closed. I'm sure a lot of people must have been pissed off at that.

Post October 21st, 2008, 10:48 pm

Points on hand: 462.00 Points
They advertised that it would be open on opening day...news people from all over the world were there opening day and everyday until it opened asking guests what they thought. It was a marketing nightmare for CP and CF.

The blog is just messing with us(enthusiasts)big time. I think CP has something planned for next year but at this point who the hell knows what it is.

Post October 21st, 2008, 10:52 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

I like dt and don't get what the big deal over it is. Besides that its short and the lift takes a while i really thought it was fun. What i think they should do is retrack mean streak. I think if they did and cut the trims that it would be a world class ride.

Post October 21st, 2008, 11:44 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's material for new benches.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post October 23rd, 2008, 12:53 am

Points on hand: 935.00 Points
They are indeed working on track as well, as shown in the first picture (replacing boards only). This is standard procedure when we are closed during the week and it's part of their inspections. They will continue to refurb during the winter on "good" weather days.

^Posted by Tony from the blog at pointbuzz.

Just in case anyone got excited about seeing the track off MS in that one picture.

And I think that last sentence was just thrown in there to keep us speculating. If anything big was happening other than a MS retrack, we would have seen evidence by now.

Post October 23rd, 2008, 1:14 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,552.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Nothing to see here keep moving on! [lol]
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post July 23rd, 2009, 4:43 am

Points on hand: 1,245.00 Points
Originally posted by tiepilot35

Retracking Mean Streak by GCI? Hell yes.

Yes look what they did with Boulder Dash

Post July 28th, 2009, 11:40 am

Points on hand: 1,046.00 Points
Im glad they're not getting rid of mean streak. I wouldnt think they would either. Hope it will be smooth after the re-track.
Rides:
Top Thrill Dragster:38
Millennium Force:56
Maverick:40
Magnum:27
Too Many More......

Post July 28th, 2009, 11:58 am

Points on hand: 962.00 Points
wait? did they re-track it yet? cause i just rode it and it was worse

Post July 28th, 2009, 12:04 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Nope... if they had re-tracked it, it would have been very obvious. The wood all along the whole track would have been shiny, bright, new southern yellow pine. But Mean Streak still has the same dingy decade-old wood as ever aside from the small portions that they re-tracked several years ago.

I just rode it back on July 5, and it is as rough as ever. So no, no improvements were made on it this year. Until further notice, its nickname is still "the abortion coaster."

Post July 28th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Points on hand: 462.00 Points
They did retrack a section after the MCBR. They also added a crapload of bracing between the tracks to help with track gauge. Opening day they had the brake on the first hill on but very minimal, and it ran better then it has in years, but then I went back on Tuesday and it was back to being crappy and overbraked.

I think it is actually smoother when they let it run fast, but the bottom of the 1st hill just kills that way.

Tear it down and build something worth while please!

Post July 28th, 2009, 3:00 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Yeah all they did was add wood between the rails. It's still not a fun ride.

Post July 28th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Mean Streak is a failure. Why isn't Cedar Fair considering scrapping it? It's just horrible!
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post July 28th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

You guys are such downers.
I think the roughness actually makes the ride fun.
I rode backseat with my best friend and we laughed so hard at all the people complaining.
Mean streak is actually a fun ride if you ride it not thinking it's a piece of poop.

And it never has a line!
So why not!

Post July 28th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
If a ride never has a line, then it's usually a waste of space. At least in Cedar Point's case.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post July 28th, 2009, 4:00 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

Yeah I rode Mean Streak before I really knew anything about coasters at all. I even thought it was boring then! Although I was laughing because of the constant jolting, it was still not thrilling at all.

Post July 28th, 2009, 5:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by tracksix

They did retrack a section after the MCBR.

That and the other stuff you mentioned was done a year or two ago. Last year that same section was the smoothest part of the ride with the noticable difference in wood color.

Really guys. Youd rather have a re-tracked Mean Streak with no airtime and barely any good lats over a GCI? You gotta be out of your minds...

Post July 28th, 2009, 8:14 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I've actually heard that it is a good ride without the brakes. Apparently, back in 2003, Cedar Point had an ERT session for ACE during CoasterMania because TTD was broken, and I heard from a couple of them that it actually had some really good lateral g's, and even a touch of airtime in the back, at full speed. If only...

Post July 28th, 2009, 9:21 pm

Points on hand: 1,286.00 Points

Post July 28th, 2009, 10:25 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
^ Not really.

Hercules was great at full speed, then it got screwed by CF and after a trim, and GCI re-tracking it sucked.

Post July 28th, 2009, 10:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,771.00 Points

I feel like the only one here who enjoys the ride. If you ride it early in the morning, when it is running smoothly, and if you are lucky enough to have the trim brakes turned off, I think it provides a very nice ride. It's rough, yeah, but that doesn't mean it should be torn down.

As for re-tracking, I'm all for it. I can see the ride really coming into its own if the roughness is improved.

Post July 28th, 2009, 11:01 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Your not alone. I rode Mean Streak twice last time I was there...very front and very back. The dog wags its tail in this case, but up front its actually decently smooth and totally tolerable and although its not particularly fast or strong anymore...but I still enjoy it. Retracking would totally help it and I'm for it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!