Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Christ/Anti-Christ

Christ/Anti-Christ

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Christ/Anti-Christ

Yes
32%
No
36%
I do not believe in a higher power
32%

Total votes : 47

Post November 19th, 2008, 11:52 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

I do not want any religion fights here. Just an honest answer. Do you believe Christ or even the Anti-Christ is among us? TJ your comments are appreciated.

Regards,
RRollergod

Post November 19th, 2008, 11:54 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points

Post November 20th, 2008, 1:21 am

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

I don't have any idea what it could be, but I do believe there is some kind of higher power. I don't believe it's a kind of conscious being, though.

Post November 20th, 2008, 9:30 am

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Looks like people are voting but are not explaining themselves...

Post November 20th, 2008, 9:40 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points

Post November 20th, 2008, 9:42 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,888.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

"I do not want any religion fights here"

"Looks like people are voting but are not explaining themselves..."

You can't have everything

If I was to say for example that I didn't believe that there was any kind of higher being or power and explain that the human race is very stupid and most can't grasp the idea of nothingness and therefore the more small-minded among us have to cling onto the idea that there may be something worth fighting for after we die, then a huge religous argument may ensue.

So I'm not going to say that, or a huge religous argument may ensue. [lol]

Post November 20th, 2008, 11:43 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
There's nothing that makes me believe that there is any 'higher' power.

Just read a 1st-grade physics/biology book and you'll find out.

Post November 20th, 2008, 12:16 pm

Points on hand: 1,637.00 Points

Witch hunts are the logical extreme that comes out of playing pin the tail on the anti-christ. As such I pay little attention to such absurd claims.

Post November 20th, 2008, 3:25 pm

Points on hand: 136.00 Points

I only believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. All the other higher powers just make no sense..

Post November 20th, 2008, 3:28 pm

Ahaha man, it's crazy that people actually believed that..

Post November 20th, 2008, 3:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points

Post November 20th, 2008, 5:08 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
[atheism rant]
Atheism is a belief in the non-existent, a lack of evidence proves nothing.
Belief in nothing benefits you nothing.
And atheism still doesn't answer 'how' or 'why' the universe came into being.

Most religions will provide the 'how' and 'why', but they have trouble reconciling the 'what' with readily available evidence.

I believe we'll find out when we're dead, and then I'd rather not have been an atheist.
If the atheist are right then what we believe doesn't matter, and then I'd wish I had joined a sex cult.
If there was anything left of me to wish anything, which there wouldn't be.

Atheists don't even get to be smug when they die if they turn out to be right.
Though, they're quite the opposite of smug when they die if they turn out to be wrong.

Atheism, what's the point? It is religion for unimaginative people.

[/atheism rant]
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post November 20th, 2008, 5:29 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

^Are you saying your religion is the only thing keeping you from joining a sex cult? If that's the case I think you have bigger issues than religion to worry about. Just because someone doesn't believe in rewards or punishment after death doesn't mean they can't be a nice person.

Post November 20th, 2008, 5:40 pm

Are you saying all sex cults are evil and their members are not nice people? Have you met all of them personally?

Anyway, no I wasn't saying that literally, I was making a point. Learn not to take everything I say literally, it'll save you some angst.

Post November 20th, 2008, 7:08 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
oh dear, religion arguments... Please don't let me get involved, ever...

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Zazu, religion isn't about what kind of imagination you have....

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:07 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

Im just atheist. The only higher power i believe in is chuck norris (just kidding).

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:26 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Zazu Yen

From what I've gathered in classes they've got down how life has changed over time, and an idea of how the universe started, it's just the whole putting life into the system thing that is giving them trouble.

I am agnostic since there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that completely contradicts what I was told growing up in church, lots of which I can observe with my own eyes. I believe if a great percentage of something is wrong, then it's wrong. That is why I choose not to follow my catholic upbringing.

To add further mess into this thought process if you look at all of the bizarre random chance events associated with the earth like moon size, location from the sun etc, it looks more and more like a random crapshoot of luck.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:50 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

From what I've gathered in classes they've got down how life has changed over time, and an idea of how the universe started, it's just the whole putting life into the system thing that is giving them trouble.

I am agnostic since there is an overwhelming amount of evidence that completely contradicts what I was told growing up in church, lots of which I can observe with my own eyes. I believe if a great percentage of something is wrong, then it's wrong. That is why I choose not to follow my catholic upbringing.

To add further mess into this thought process if you look at all of the bizarre random chance events associated with the earth like moon size, location from the sun etc, it looks more and more like a random crapshoot of luck.

Can I get a Hallelujah?

Post November 20th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Coasterkidmwm: "an idea of how the universe started, it's just the whole putting life into the system thing that is giving them trouble."

They're starting to have a pretty good idea of the initial state of the molecules that existed in the fractions of a nanosecond before the Big Bang, but they have no idea how it got into that state, or where it came from to begin with. Why were there molecules? No one has a clue.

I don't think it's a big mystery how life came to be here. You get enough molecules in a primordial ooze over a long enough period of time and molecules start to bind, proteins form, from proteins bacteria will start to form, from there you get single cell organisms, and next thing you know you're stuck in traffic on the I-80 with nothing good on the radio. You know astronomers are expecting to find evidence of life on a planet outside of our solar system in the next 50 years? Exiting times!

CoastaGuy: "Zazu, religion isn't about what kind of imagination you have...."

True, it's about your ability to conceptualize, visualize, accept and eventually believe in things that can not technically be proven to exist.

Imagination get's a bad rep because it's assumed imagined things don't exist. But things that do exist are imagined all the time. Scientists use it, they imagine a process that could be causing the effect they see, then they set out to prove (or disprove) what they imagine is correct.

Post November 20th, 2008, 10:05 pm

Points on hand: 2,336.00 Points

[atheism rant]
Atheism is a belief in the non-existent, a lack of evidence proves nothing.
Belief in nothing benefits you nothing.

Most religions will provide the 'how' and 'why', but they have trouble reconciling the 'what' with readily available evidence.

I believe we'll find out when we're dead, and then I'd rather not have been an atheist.
If the atheist are right then what we believe doesn't matter, and then I'd wish I had joined a sex cult.
If there was anything left of me to wish anything, which there wouldn't be.

Atheists don't even get to be smug when they die if they turn out to be right.
Though, they're quite the opposite of smug when they die if they turn out to be wrong.

Atheism, what's the point? It is religion for unimaginative people.

[/atheism rant]

Atheism is not the belief that gods do not exist, that would be Gnostic Atheism, Atheism in it's broadest definition is defined as a lack of belief in a god(s). Most Atheists are Agnostic Atheists. Atheism in an of itself does not offer answers to anything, because it does not claim anything. Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color.

You throw in Pascal's Wager, which is a really bad argument. Assuming a God exists purely to avoid damnation requires you to make two assumptions:

1. That the criteria to get into heaven/avoid hell is simply believing in God.

The "true" criteria to get into the "true" heaven could very well be to eat a three pound plate of pancakes for breakfast everyday, or even not believing in god(s). If something as arbitrary as believing in god(s) gets you into heaven, than something as arbitrary as not believing them could to.

2. That the correct God is being worshipped/believed in.

If you believe in Zeus or the Flying Spaghetti Monster and the real god is Allah, or Qwerty-tron, than you are screwed.

Even a Gnostic Atheist could very well say that you will lead a fuller life if you bet on his not existing and living each precious moment to the fullest, than if you bet on his existing and therefore squander your precious time on worshipping him, sacrificing to him, fighting and dying for him, etc.
Gay sex is great! (Qwerty 18:22)

Post November 20th, 2008, 10:09 pm

Points on hand: 5,993.00 Points

Thanks for asking RRollergod. To be honest, I am not sure.

However, Matthew writes very clearly about Jesus speaking for those to be aware of false prophets who claim to be this or that (Matthew 24:6) .... so, yeah, until Jesus reveals Himself in Glory (Matthew 24:27), I shant really be able to answer this accurately.

But of course, the rest of this above is simple prosyletizing and well ... to that I say remember: 2 Timothy 2:23, "Don't have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels." [approve]

Post November 20th, 2008, 10:21 pm

Belief = hope, Its ok to believe in things without having proof, (even though i, myself, do not).

The thing that bothers me are those crazy fundamentalist Christians who believe that every word in the bible (which was written by man, and therefor easily speculated) is true and they won't' let anyone else speak there opinion because they've already assumed its "wrong"...

Nothing against religion, but some people get really ignorant, and snobby...

Post November 20th, 2008, 10:30 pm

Points on hand: 3,691.00 Points
Originally posted by tmv8888

Belief = hope, Its ok to believe in things without having proof, (even though i, myself, do not).

The thing that bothers me are those crazy fundamentalist Christians who believe that every word in the bible (which was written by man, and therefor easily speculated) is true and they won't' let anyone else speak there opinion because they've already assumed its "wrong"...

Nothing against religion, but some people get really ignorant, and snobby...

oh so true there.
and i also agree with what coasterkid said.
my view is simply that there is way more proof that i can look at for i guess you could say the "evolution" side of things and therefore thats what i lean too.
but unlike most religious people, i actually listen to both sides.
my ears are open to hear both sides of the story, im not going to shoot your opinion down.
most christians in my school completely turn the other way when i try to put my point out there.
we had a discussion the one day in school this year, it was me and a friend on the "evolution" side, and the rest of the class on the "creation" side.
THEY WOULDNT F-ING LISTEN TO US.
it was bull, it made me sooo mad that i would sit there and listen to them, but if i wanted to say something, they completely blocked me.
so yeah, thats where i stand, haha

Post November 20th, 2008, 10:34 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

oh.. i voted..
no, i do not believe the antichrist is "among us". i cant prove it, but i do not believe it's real. even if one were to be interpreting biblical prophecies regarding the antichrist. first, noone ever suspected of being the antichrist has really met all the criteria, and second the criteria is so left open to interpretation that who ever WANTS to believe someone is the antichrist will find a way to interpret propecies in favor of their beliefs..
ok i guess i think i answered te original poll questions.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion