Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions CoasterCrazy Awards 2008 (CCA) Round 1

CoasterCrazy Awards 2008 (CCA) Round 1

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post January 18th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Originally posted by Topdrag

^ That is not a better comparison because it does not show the triple up since the ride got re-tracked and the tick track is no longer there.

Haha yeah I know, that's what I meant. I was saying that to DreamLines who originally posted the video.

Post January 18th, 2009, 4:14 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Boulder Dash is way better than S:ROS. Having ridden both of them on warm full runs merely days apart provides me with a fair perspective.

Before Dash I had the opinion that woodie were just 2nd-rate rollercoasters. Now, BoulderDash comes just after Montu on my list.

S:ROS have airtime, and some sections are fast. The only section on boulder dash that isn't fast is from the brakes to the top of the lift. The rest is insane, uncontrolled chaos. Laterals, airtime, sometimes both. The last hill before the turnaround has two airtime spikes. Don't ask me how, but it has.

Post January 18th, 2009, 4:51 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Then you need to compare a SROS night ride to that of Boulder Dash, or a day ride on each...oh wait, not sure either you can or are willing to.

I dislike when wooden coasters have more than one spot of air on a hill...in general that means that the hill in question is lacking consistent air. There is no hill on SROS that has more than one spot of airtime, because all of them other than the setup hill into the second half has air over almost the entire hill top.

Give me the height, slopes, speed, and some of the world's strongest airtime over Boulder Dash's many flat, barely sloped sections and relatively weak airtime. Boulder Dash looks like an excellent ride, but it just doesn't have 35-40 mph hilltops with very little transition between 3.5 and -1 or stronger vertical g's, at slopes of 45*.

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:11 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

^I think he ment spikes, like, if the hill had first -0.5G, than -1, than -0.5 again, -1, and -0.5...
That's just an example, but it is possible! And must be awesome fun!
I always thought S:ROS was the best coaster on the planet...
Untill i watched a video of Boulder Dash! Now i'm convinced that BD is better. But that's just my preference. I don't really have norms for coasters, like this coaster is good, becouse it doeas that, and this coaster is bad, becouse, it doesn't have that. I look at a coaster as a 1 object, not couple of elements.
And BD just seems superior to S:ROS as one coaster. Sure S:ROS is awesome, but there are some spots that lack a bit.
While BD has this awesome setting, insane pacing, airtime and lats all over the place, and just doesn't let go...

As said before, these are my views.
And everyone has their own opinions about these rides. You shouldn't fight about opinions tho, becouse non of them are scientificaly proven right, or wrong for that matter.
They are called "opinions" and not "facts" for a reason...

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Give me the height, slopes, speed, and some of the world's strongest airtime over Boulder Dash's many flat, barely sloped sections and relatively weak airtime. Boulder Dash looks like an excellent ride, but it just doesn't have 35-40 mph hilltops with very little transition between 3.5 and -1 or stronger vertical g's, at slopes of 45*.

You REALLY need to ride it and then bitch. It does not have weak air.....I have been completely stood up on it to the point that I've felt like I'm going to fall out. It does definitely have 35-40mph hill tops (I've actually read the design speed at the top of the turnaround is around 35mph, and thats the second highest point on the ride). Also the 'two pop' hill that he's talking about is not sustained, but that helps the ride feel more out of control. Supermans hills feel like they're straight out of a computer program. Yes they're strong, but they don't feel out of control at all. They feel like they are taken at the designed speed, and are perfecly rounded. Boulder Dash feels much faster than it should, many of the pops of air are surprise (they aren't even really consistent ride to ride which I think adds to the out of control factor), and definitely not "computer". For the record, I have ridden both morning and night, and both in the same day.

It may not have -1G spots, but Superman definitely doesn't have the rapid, out of control airtime (nor the hills that have said rapid airtime and then a sharp hidden turn) that Dash has, which IMO, makes Dash the better ride.

Of course, it would help if you'd just stop bitching about it and would go ride the damn thing, then maybe you could argue your case and have something to back it up. Watching videos is not riding the ride, no matter how much you want to think it is.

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:30 pm

Howbout you stop catching feelings and get a life? Bitching? Yeah ok.

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:37 pm

I just don't see why in every thread when there are coaster comparisons with rides you haven't been on, you feel the need to voice your opinion. You should sample (ride, not youtube) everything in question first I'd think.

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:42 pm

Have you ridden every ride you voted for or against in this thread? What about your buddies who are debating too?

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:53 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

And SROS takes the lead! Back and forth...

SROS had the early lead, Boulder dash took it back, and now SROS's got it again!

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:54 pm

I've been on both and Boulder Dash absolutely wrecks Superman. Superman was still quite an awesome ride, but honestly, chill the f**k out, who cares?

Dcs, Boulder Dash has the complete opposite of weak hills, little transitions and all 45 degree slopes. Just go ride it and see for yourself, that couldn't have been more wrong. It's just nuts.

Post January 18th, 2009, 5:55 pm

It doesn't have 45* slopes, it has like 25-30* slopes throughout...that was one of my points. It also has little transitions, which is a good thing. You're just saying that to say it. Be logical next time please?

Post January 18th, 2009, 6:05 pm

Post January 18th, 2009, 6:07 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

A good coaster isn't determinded by having a perfect consisted air hill. The you sound dcs, it's like the only criteria for a good coaster is the amount of perfect airtime.

I'm not sure if you mean it that way, but that's how I pick it up. BD also has an crazy setting, build on a hillside, boulders and trees almost an arms reach away, it makes the ride so much more intense.

Now I'm not saying SROS is bad or something, but it has only one major trick, and that's airtime.

Post January 18th, 2009, 6:27 pm

lol, that was one point. Strong airtime is not the only thing that makes a hill good. SROS has incredible pacing over its hills, combined with the bruising airtime. Not only that, but it has a variety of pacing...hills with changing pacing, and some low spots with consistent high speeds. That variety, along with the long ride, to me makes SROS better than El Toro. Now add the strong lats in the second half, with the surprising airtime on the last 2 S hills, two tunnels, one with mist, open trains with lapbars that don't go down under high forces, and a 71* drop. What about the incredible view of that huge river? There's always the fact that you go 45 mph into the brakes at the end of the ride, only to stop on a figurative dime right behind the previous train...what about the accelerations from some of the longest trains on a large ride in the world...and the fact that almost all slopes, up and down, are 40* and steeper rather than just one or two drops. There's the interaction between the second half track and people around the ride/in the queue. There are other things too that make this the world's best roller coaster...take your pick as your "major tricks."

Yeah, I didn't mean it that way haha.

Please Freddie...
Image Insert:
88.96 KB

Post January 18th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

The two are incomparable, duh. Completely different rides, both of which are excellent in their own right.

Post January 18th, 2009, 6:57 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

The lats are weak. The view is ok, but if I want a view, I go on a observation tower. Then, when riding, it doesnt matter how hard a coasters make you go, but how fast it seems to go.
You can ask every single member of TPR that went of the East Coast Tour, they all agree that BD is better.

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:08 pm

You just referenced TPR...a group full of people who "borrow" kids to ride kiddy coasters so they can brag that they've been on X number of "credits," because having money to go around to theme parks around the world and being able to do something a kid can do is an "accomplishment." Seriously?

They also rode SROS in the morning/day and Boulder Dash at night...I know how much better ET is in the evening than during the morning/day, so I can imagine how much fun a nighttime ERT would be on a great ride like ET or Boulder Dash. Reference them all you want, but I do know that a night ride on one good coaster can be more fun than a morning ride on a better ride, especially with that really...unusual...culture.

I rode SROS in the back with my hands up, and strained to keep my upper body upright entering the second tunnel...which didn't happen. You can watch people slam to the side in the second helix, just as the track flattens into the tightening and increasingly intense upward spiral. The exit of the second tunnel pulls more than 1.1 lats, with no riders...and it's toward the end of the ride so the difference in speed is relatively high, so the lats are even stronger than that.

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:09 pm

Originally posted by dcs221

It doesn't have 45* slopes, it has like 25-30* slopes throughout...that was one of my points. It also has little transitions, which is a good thing. You're just saying that to say it. Be logical next time please?

What do you mean by be logical? My points are correct, you don't need to come on here to make things up about rides you haven't been on to prove that your coaster is better. No need to try and make me look bad.

Also, the picture that Freddie posted is showing that Boulder Dash isn't full of 25* slopes - not saying that it's steeper than Superman...obviously...

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:16 pm

A group of people who have ACTUALLY ridden both, mind you. You can say riding SROS morning and Dash night is unfair all you want, but at least they have been on both. More than you can say, I think.

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:20 pm

You said that Boulder Dash doesn't have small transitions. It, infact, does, and that's one of the reasons why Freddie says it's so good. Large transitions are sometimes bad...if you look at, say, Coaster Express http://rcdb.com/ig1368.htm?picture=9 you'll see what I mean. Boulder Dash is predominately 30* slopes or less, whereas SROS is full of large changes in height, while keeping blazing pacing through every element except one, which is a setup element. All that is why I said you were making stuff up that was illogical...especially the stuff about the transitions.

Maybe I'm wrong though. Tell me, where does Boulder Dash have slow transitions, and why does that improve the ride?

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:29 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by dcs221

You just referenced TPR...a group full of people who "borrow" kids to ride kiddy coasters so they can brag that they've been on X number of "credits," because having money to go around to theme parks around the world and being able to do something a kid can do is an "accomplishment." Seriously?

wow, that was low. There was only 1 out of 80 people who pulled that stunt and he got banned.
The rest of us were cool and we had a great time.
Ask Nightmare500, man or Jakizle

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:31 pm

I didn't necessarily mean on the trip hyyyper, and I don't mean everyone in TPR. I'm not specifying you, or Nightmare500, or Jake. The percentage of people who brag about borrowing kids to ride a kiddy coaster is much higher there than any other site I've seen, and to me that says bad things.

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:45 pm

Points on hand: 2,219.00 Points

Honestly, these two rides should not be compared, the smarter choice would be to have the worlds best wooden roller coaster, and the worlds best steel roller coaster. Wood vs. Steel is a controversy I'm sick and tired of reading about. You simply cannot compare two completely different roller coaster types. The best of the two types will be #1 no matter what, and its up to the riders to choose which one is their all-time favorite. You have the woody fanboys, and you have the steel fanboys. That's how it is.[flush]

Post January 18th, 2009, 7:57 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Im a steel fanboy and I think BD is better than SROS. Personal taste is more than just wood or steel.

Post January 18th, 2009, 8:00 pm

I'm an equal opportunity rider, and I take SROS over BD. I agree that personal taste is more than just wood or steel.

PreviousNext

Return to General Theme Park Discussions