Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Coastin through the Ohio Region 2017

Coastin through the Ohio Region 2017

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post March 25th, 2017, 10:39 pm

Points on hand: 6,689.00 Points
Hi guys so before i begin I would like to say this is where I will post any trip reports from parks I have visited this year!

Without a do,??I recently went to Great Wolf Lodge in Mason, Ohio for a couple days before heading to Kentucky Kingdom for an event on Saturday (that trip report is still in the editing phase). Anyways one big note-able change from last year is that Starbucks is now....................gone. The gift store is now one big place with one entrance and where the entrance was originally occupied with Starbucks, has now been turned into a Dunkin' Donuts! Slide Reviews:

-Water Coaster: Not as long as the other three I have rode (Deluge, Mammoth and Wildebeest) but fun and enjoyable!
-Family raft slide: Really fun! Did it once with three people and it paced pretty good but with 5 people in one tube................................WOW
-Bowl slide: as always a fun ride and if you have a heavy mass like some people (Myself) do, you get some good spins.

(If you look closely in the one zoomed in picture, you can see Bat trains on the track!)
Attachments
IMG_1027.JPG
IMG_1028.JPG
IMG_1029.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1044.JPG
IMG_1045.JPG
IMG_1046.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1059.JPG
IMG_1061.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1073.JPG
IMG_1075.JPG
IMG_1076.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1088.JPG
Drummer, Guitarist, Coaster Enthusiast and a metal head??
126 Credits and counting!
Creator of MK Media on all social media platforms!

Post March 27th, 2017, 1:20 pm

As I would like to continue from this past weekend, Myself and many other coaster enthusiasts where recently invited out to Kentucky Kingdom for a nice little off season tour of the park and let me just say that it was really fascinating! Hers some things we learned today from various questions:

-The Original chassis from T2 (now T3 but T3 has new trains) where exact replica of what Arrow Dynamics made. So in a sense, Vekoma copied and pasted Arrow???s design.
-On ride photo???s will be returning for the 2017 season on T3!
-A beer garden will be added into the catering pavilions
-THIS WILL SHOOT DOWN ANY RUMORS OF WHY SIX FLAGS LEFT KENTUCKY KINGDOM IN 2010. Six flags wanted to have to pay no rent and the state had declined it, thus Six Flags abandoned the park and took two roller coasters with them.
-As for right now, Thunder Run will not receive a second train but????????????.It is an option!
-The carousel is unique to the park as it is the only one ever to stop in the same spot where it started on, which allows disabled guests to enter and exit the ride easily.
-For expansion?????????they still have 120 acres!
-As long as the park???s Enterprise is reliable it will stay. If one major breakdown occurs during this season, don???t be to surprised to see it start to get removed this season.
-Originally, Eye of the storm was going to replace Enterprise for this season and sit on the enterprises location but plans changed.
-Until RMC came in with the idea of Storm Chaser, the park wanted to combine Twisted Twins and Thunder Run, extend the layout out near T3, and wanted to have the world???s longest wooden roller coaster (which would break The Beast???s record)
-Operating hours have been in the idea of extended.
-The Zeppelin kiddie ride is the only one left in The United States
-The area around the waterpark will be used for future rides, more than hoping for that B&M Hyper that's been rumored.
-Finally the 2018/2019 plans are set to be released in April of this year.

For more pictures from the event please click here: https://coastermattproductions.wordpress.com/2017/03/26/keys-to-the-kingdom-2017/
Attachments
2.JPG
Old T2 Cars
5.JPG
Old T2 Chassis
21.JPG
Purple Lightning Run train waiting to get back on track with its relative, Green train, who is back on track!
28.JPG
Lots of new trackwork and train for Thunder Run!
48.JPG
Such detail.........
54.JPG
An amazing pic I will never capture again
69.JPG
This is the last season for Mt. Side Hai
73.PNG
All of us!

Post April 4th, 2017, 11:01 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ What a REALLY great meet-up! Thanks for sharing! :D
Last edited by lol240 on April 9th, 2017, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post April 7th, 2017, 10:05 pm

On April 5th and 6th, myself and Josh from FYE Coasters made a 5 hour trek to visit Dollywood. Needless to say, I was highly impressed with the whole park. We did manage to score a ride on all the coasters (despite the crappy weather involving rain wind and cold on Thursday), some more than once, and one rare treat in particular. Overall the service was amazing, and I honestly felt at home with everyone being so polite and caring. I would like to point out this was my first time ever being at Dollywood. So here's my reviews of the coasters:

-Lightning Rod: H.O.L.Y C.R.A.P. (Is that poo-poo running down my leg?). I have to say it. Best ride in the park! We rode front for our first ride and back for our second
ride and I was highly impressed. I never knew that you could experience airtime from a turn! I thought I was highly impressed with Storm Chaser but
this...............this just blew it out of the water (It's still not my number 1 but it'll take #2 on my wood coaster list). Sadly though, before we where leaving the park
we decided to try and get a third ride on. Well. We got on, got about 3/4 the way up the "lift" and rolled back :br 10/10
-Blazing Fury: An okay indoor coaster, It was interesting really. 6/10
-Tennessee Tornado: This was Fun! it was definitely different than the other two Arrow Loopers I have rode (Vortex and Corkscrew) and I honestly found it to be really
smooth. 8/10
-Wild Eagle: I liked this ride mainly because It fits where it sits, and its a great ride! It was a little different than Thunderbird or Gatekeeper, and it was fairly smooth
but like some (mainly every) B&M it has that rattle. One thing I do hop eis fixed with this is the vest restraints. They really dig into your shoulders going though the
ride when they start coming down more. 6/10
-Firechaser Express: Wow! This would be a great starting point for little thrill seekers. You get a great launch, a not to tall ride and a ride that doesn't go to fast. It's
been forever since I went backwards on a roller coaster (since Backwards Racer at Kings Island). 7/10
-Mystery Mine: I've only rode 1 Eurofighter which was Spongebob at Mall of America, and Mystery Mine, just by looking at it, was better than Spongebob. Loved the
double roll at the end and the hangtime! 7/10
-Thunderhead: Alas I wanted Mystic Timbers to be my first GCI but this was fun! I was hoping for a lot of ejector airtime but was mainly given just a tad floater. Rode
two times, one in front and one in back. Honestly found it pretty smooth for a woodie. 7/10

-Dollywood Express: I know, I know, this isnt a coaster. If you go to Dollywood, PLEASE! take the time and ride the train. You will not regret it honestly. 10/10/10.

For more pictures, check them out here: https://coastermattproductions.wordpress.com/2017/04/07/dollywood-april-2017/

Attachments
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
7.JPG
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
14.JPG
15.JPG
16.JPG
21.JPG

Post April 9th, 2017, 10:51 pm

^ I've got one question. Which do you like, the final "car jumpish" element on Lightning Rod or the sideways plunge (Treble Clef) on Fury 325? xD

Post April 9th, 2017, 11:22 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

What's been your favorite ride so far?
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post April 18th, 2017, 12:07 am

This past weekend I visited Kings Island for the First Rider event of Mystic Timbers, working Friday night and not getting off till 1 (the last Mystic train was sent at 12:30), and visiting the park on Saturday for opening Day!

So first the first rider event. As some may know, sometimes associates that work at an amusement park sometimes get to ride the newest attraction before anyone else.......................well this wasn't the case. Thursday night was my first time riding! I have to say........This is something the park was missing. Before at the announcement and watching the animated POV, I wasn't impressed that much but was glad it was a new coaster. After watching the POV of the real ride................color me impressed. The park was missing something fast and relentless as a wooden coaster, but keeping it on the same level as The Beast and The Racer, but as smooth as possibly a steel coaster (with that wooden feeling). I only felt like I got about 2 pops of ejector airtime (maybe more), but I loved the intensity and airtime on this! That evening, I got 8 rides in and 2 night rides, sadly, the ride is not as good as that world class coaster right next to it "The Beast"
IMG_1964.JPG
Front Entrance looks a little different with the metal detectors that will be here all year.
IMG_1968.JPG
The gang's all here! Myself (CoasterMatt Productions), FYE Coasters, Coaster Guy101, CCU (Coaster Clubs United), Ohio Valley Coasters and Kings Islands#1 Fans!
IMG_1973.JPG
Something's different in Snoopy this year................. any guesses?
IMG_1976.JPG
Slowly peeking into Rivertown.
IMG_1995.JPG
Andy Dalton! (WHODEY!) All of us (187 to be exact) came together and raised 60,000 dollars!
IMG_1998.JPG
Love the theming to the ride! Honestly would say that this is the best themed ride since Tomb Raider
IMG_2001.JPG
Riders ride into the unknown!
IMG_2003.JPG
They survived the Shed? That's not supposed to happen..........
IMG_2005.JPG
I've grown on the middle vine.
IMG_2008.JPG
The trains are really cool though!
IMG_2020.JPG
Front entrance plaza!.
IMG_2021.JPG
Seems like someone crashed into this.

Onto Opening Day with 3 hours of sleep. I arrived at the park at 7 AM and waiting in the employee parking lot until around 8, as I wanted one of these first riders shirts that I was told would be given out. Fastforward to 9:30, we where walked into the park around to Mystic Timbers entrance and was on in about not even 10 minutes.

Onto some things that are new this year (other than that new woodie in Rivertown):
- Coke refill stations! There where about a couple new ones that I saw! one where a water gun game was in Rivertown right next to Larossa's in rivertown, one at the old ICEE refill station in Coney Mall right next to Killmart.
-Tom & Chee!: Cinci's famous grilled cheese resturant has made a permanent home in Kings Island, right over where snakepit by Diamondback was! Come get your grilled cheese donuts!
-Winterfest footers and buildings: A new building was being constructed behind the Blackout maze, and footers are around International Street.
-International street now has Instrumental music! It's really a nice touch
-Dodgem's received some LED lights on the ride ceiling and outside the ride as well. That leaves only two ride in Coney to need these nice LED lights, Monster and Zephyr.

I would like to give a shout out to everyone of my friends on the Mystic crew! From having an about 8 hour wait on friday evening, i was very impressed with fast dispatches and a 1-2 hour wait on Saturday!

Enjoy the videos and pictures!

IMG_2045.JPG
Big crowd for opening day!
IMG_2055.JPG
Turning 30 and still giving IMO a good ride
IMG_2080.JPG
Well hello there!
IMG_2091.JPG
Such a great and FUN ride!
IMG_2124.JPG
Best invert I've been on (Raptors the only other one I've been on)
IMG_2150.JPG
Dive Dive Dive!
IMG_2164.JPG
Vortex recieved a nice refurbished sign over the offseason!
IMG_2173.JPG
Dodgem's new LED lights!
IMG_2174.JPG
The lights outside of the ride!
IMG_2183.JPG
Firehawk turns 10 this year (15 total) and is really in need of a repaint. The red is chipping away and you can see the green coming in.
IMG_2199.PNG
Overview of Mystic Tibmers!

Stay tuned as my next trips include to be either: Kentucky Kingdom, Kings Dominion, Coney Island, Strikers Grove, Cedar Point and maybe Indiana Beach!

Post April 18th, 2017, 3:15 am

^ Not only does that last photo pleasingly end your Trip Report, but it's also winning my heart! I seriously can't take my eyes off (Help me lol!) the GCI's epic "Mystic Timbers" woodie!

:D Wallpaper-Worthy! :D

Hi guys! I know it's been awhile since I posted a TR but i've been working a lot! Well after slaving away at Kings Island for weekends after weekends, I finally found a park that was open DURING the week...............Holiday World! So on May 11th (the day before KI started Daily op), myself and a couple ACE'rs decided to take the trip over! This was my second time visiting the park was pleasantly pleased with everything despite the school groups and the shitty weather (it always seems to rain when I go to the park). Last year (i was an idiot at most new parks) I focused on riding all of the coasters, this year it has changed! with not only the coasters, i rode many of the flats and thrill rides at the park (including Firecracker) and some types where ones I've never rode like the S&S Shot tower "Liberty Launch" and "Firecracker" A Calypso! Check out some of my videos from my visit and some of my pictures!
Attachments
IMG_2599.JPG
IMG_2602.JPG
IMG_2606.JPG
IMG_2608.JPG
IMG_2610.JPG
IMG_2612.JPG
IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2616.JPG
IMG_2626.JPG
IMG_2635.JPG
IMG_2637.JPG
IMG_2639.JPG
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2644.JPG
IMG_2647.JPG
IMG_2656.JPG
IMG_2661.JPG
IMG_2665.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2670.JPG

Post June 9th, 2017, 10:20 am
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Jealous of this trip! I need to go out that way sometime!
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post June 9th, 2017, 11:46 am

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Ouch. Harsh on Thunderhead there. I actually thought it was one of the more forceful GCIs, and the pacing was better than any of them. Oh well, at least it's more forceful than the Voyage. Thanks for the read!
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post June 17th, 2017, 4:53 pm

On May 19th and 20th i attended my first ever Coasterstock! Let me just start by saying that if other events where well planned out and have the same type of tours/ERT and everything as Coasterstock, i would love to go to many more! This event was the best I've ever been to (I've only been to Chill-Out and Keys To The Kingdom).

Friday, first day of coasterstock we where given ERT on everything in Action Zone (minus Congo) and after many laps on Banshee it turned out to be a great morning! After that i wandered the park until meeting back up for lunch with special guest speakers Logan Joiner and Jeff Joiner from KoasterKids (really inspiring story from Logan and always great to hangout with them) and as well as Lance Heal (director of entertainment). Lance talked about Winterfest and Haunt very heavily. From what I heard that was for Haunt, one maze will be retired and two new attractions will be introduced this year. They are working on new skeleton key rooms and back story's for all the mazes. So far one of many huge crates featuring animatronics and props to be installed into existing mazes to get some new love. Some new things in Slaughterhouse are that the hallway with new wood will be filled with props and scenery. Finished with winterfest information and then went to our lights on tours. Unfortunately the Diamondback tour was postponed due to weather but ERT that night still occured!

IMG_2828.JPG
IMG_2829.JPG
IMG_2831.JPG
IMG_2833.JPG
IMG_2835.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_2837.JPG
IMG_2840.JPG
IMG_2842.JPG
IMG_2849.JPG
IMG_2853.JPG
IMG_2855.JPG
IMG_2868.JPG
IMG_2872.JPG
IMG_2878.JPG
IMG_2884.JPG
IMG_2894.JPG
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
IMG_2898.JPG

Onto Day 2! ERT was given in Coney Mall and FOF was giving lights on rides every other train! BOO YEAH! I finally got a lights on ride and it's interesting to see the whole ride in the building! after that we ventured to ERT for Mystic and Dback. At 2 we got our Beast tour in and our Diamondback tour in at 5! After that we ended up going to Dinner where Don, Mike Kuntz and Jeff Pike (Designer from Skyline Attractions) talked about the park, their history and Mystic Timbers. I will say i was wondering why Mystic's brake run is slanted and according to Jeff, since Mystic uses mag brakes, the train alligns perfectly with the brakes when it comes up and thus the brake run is slanted. Also to note that the s-turns weren't originally planned BUT WHO CARES IT STILL A GREAT RIDE! Unfortunately after dinner and a couple ride on Banshee/ Bat, i headed home and did not stay for ERT.

IMG_2949.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG
IMG_2955.JPG
IMG_2959.JPG
IMG_2970.JPG
IMG_2981.JPG
IMG_3001.JPG
IMG_3005.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3025.JPG
IMG_3027.JPG
IMG_3031.JPG
IMG_3037.JPG
IMG_3048.JPG
IMG_3050.JPG
IMG_3076.JPG
IMG_3079.JPG
IMG_3080.JPG
IMG_3084.JPG
IMG_3089.JPG
IMG_3098.JPG
IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG
IMG_3111.JPG

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports