Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Council review over offenders' theme park trip

Council review over offenders' theme park trip

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
A West Yorkshire council has ordered a review after five young offenders were sent on an all-expenses paid trip to Alton Towers.

The theme park trip was organised by Wakefield Youth Offending Team as part of a supervision programme of persistent and serious young offenders.

Wakefield Council, which was involved in the trip, has started an inquiry.

Elaine McHale, the council's corporate director of family services, said the activity was "inappropriate".

Wakefield's Youth Offending Team is a multi-agency team co-ordinated by the local authority.
'Intensive supervision'

The council said the total cost of the outing to the Staffordshire attraction came to ?????????250.

Ms McHale said: "This activity was inappropriate for these young people and we have started an immediate review to identify how this decision was taken and to ensure lessons are learned.

"Although this particular activity was clearly not appropriate, the five young people on the intensive supervision and surveillance programme (ISSP) had made good progress and were assessed as not posing a risk to the public.

"The young people were under supervision of youth offending team officers at all times and the trip went without incident."

The council added that the Wakefield ISSP was one of the best nationally with 66% of young people successfully completing the programme compared with 54% nationally.
Source
Last edited by GavG on August 13th, 2011, 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post August 12th, 2011, 5:18 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

these people should not get anything like this at all. the people who organised this should be locked away too for it
Making screams come true

Post August 13th, 2011, 7:18 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

I agree with you on this gazag. With all the cuts that all the councils are having to make to make ends meet this is a joke. I am surprised it has been publicised and not just swept under the carpet and forgotten about.

Post August 14th, 2011, 3:36 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post August 14th, 2011, 5:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,598.00 Points
In America: Start a riot, get put in prison.
In the U.K.: Start a riot, get a free day at a theme park!

Something is seriously wrong here. What happened to punishing those who deserve it? I bet the U.K. doesn't even have the death penalty. Care to Elaborate on this, Gav?
A man has needs and that needs is booze.

Post August 14th, 2011, 6:24 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post August 14th, 2011, 10:46 pm

For those that are so evil that we have no choice to kill them. I'm all for it. I'm for torturing people who deserve it as well.

Post August 15th, 2011, 6:58 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Originally posted by bandman232

In America: Start a riot, get put in prison.
In the U.K.: Start a riot, get a free day at a theme park!

Something is seriously wrong here. What happened to punishing those who deserve it? I bet the U.K. doesn't even have the death penalty. Care to Elaborate on this, Gav?

Firstly: I will say that it wasn't young offenders who had been involved with the riots that had been taken out for the day.

Secondly: No we suspended Capital punishment in 1965 for an experimental term of 5 years. In 1969 the government voted 343 for and 185 against the murder (Abolition of Death Penalty) act.

Originally posted by bandman232

For those that are so evil that we have no choice to kill them. I'm all for it. I'm for torturing people who deserve it as well.

You seem to fall in your own bracket here saying those that are evil and then saying you believe in torture?

I find any form of human torture to be evil by default.

Post August 15th, 2011, 8:05 am

Comes with being in the military. You need answers, torture is a very effective way in getting them. And if your careful, the wont die. Iv'e seen it done several times in the military. Shakes me up a bit but I understand why it needs to be done.

Post August 15th, 2011, 8:34 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

tortue may be an important process in the US military, but I'm not sure how much it would help the rehabilitation of young offenders in the UK...

Post August 15th, 2011, 8:58 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Bandman: Have a read [;)]

Gouldy: It would be a tad extreme to use water boarding for taging the local shops shutters [lol]

Return to General Theme Park Discussions