Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Employment Deaf Ride Operator

Deaf Ride Operator

This category is for all theme park employees, past, present, and future.

Post March 15th, 2011, 2:49 pm
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
Originally posted by Mikey

So if you were in this kids shoes what would you do?

Be gratefull someone believed in me and gave me a chance.

Post March 15th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy

I don't do drugs.

That's what you think.
This is not my signature.

Post March 15th, 2011, 3:16 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Ahhhh touche.

^^^Mikey, yeah I agree with GavG. If by 'this kid' you do mean the deaf worker, I'd be happy. I'm assuming he'll do the best work he can given his circumstance. Humans have a natural disposition to want to prove others wrong lol.

Post March 15th, 2011, 3:35 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

I don't do drugs.

http://www.coastercrazy.com/forum/topic ... rms=salvia

So you do "attention"?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 15th, 2011, 3:53 pm

I didn't realize it was May 2009 right now. Sorry.

Don't they teach you to use current sources in community college?

Post March 15th, 2011, 4:06 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by Mikey

So if you were in this kids shoes what would you do?

Learn to live with the fact that you can't do a job that requires you to hear stuff?

Post March 15th, 2011, 4:33 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points

I didn't realize it was May 2009 right now. Sorry.

Don't they teach you to use current sources in community college?

Yes. Current sources are generally constrained to after the year 2000.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 15th, 2011, 4:39 pm

Post March 21st, 2011, 9:34 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

You were definitely in the right. That employee was not only able to perform essential job functions, but, was able to detect a problem that was severely overlooked. No one should be denied an opportunity as long as they can prove that they can perform the necessary functions within that position, you and he both helped avoid a potential disaster and a lawsuit all in one day, I commend you.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post March 21st, 2011, 10:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,101.00 Points
[stupid] enough said lol
Plot Twist: I'm still alive

Post May 15th, 2011, 6:19 pm

Points on hand: 986.00 Points
I will defend my position and I think that I did the honorable thing in letting him pursue his dreams, what do you guys think?
[/quote]

OK wait a minute. I understand the whole dream thing and give people a chance stuff and all. This is a case where people's lives may potentially be in the hands of a human operator correct? Why do you think the FAA restrictions are so tight for pilot's flying commercial passenger planes? Sorry to be the glass half full guy. My mother has had MS since I was 16, (currently 38) and as much as I want her to achieve everything her heart desires . . . I would not want her operating a coaster while I was a passenger.

Post May 15th, 2011, 7:05 pm

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Originally posted by spacemountainfan619

You were definitely in the right. That employee was not only able to perform essential job functions, but, was able to detect a problem that was severely overlooked. No one should be denied an opportunity as long as they can prove that they can perform the necessary functions within that position, you and he both helped avoid a potential disaster and a lawsuit all in one day, I commend you.

I totally agree
Rarwh

Post May 15th, 2011, 10:23 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

With some limitation, the FAA has provisions for allowing deaf pilots for all license levels. You should look into the deaf pilots association.

Post May 16th, 2011, 9:14 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Being at a school heavily populated with deaf people, I applaud your efforts Mikey. This was certainly the right thing to do...I play college hockey and 4 guys are hard of hearing with implants and another is totally deaf, and they do just fine...one of them is one of our captains, so certainly you did a good job.

Post June 23rd, 2011, 12:59 pm

Points on hand: 400.00 Points
Yeah I wouldn't let a deaf person be a ride op, this would happen.
"Clear"
"Clear"
"All Clear"
*5 minutes later*
"DISPATCH THE love TRAIN"

Post June 23rd, 2011, 1:32 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by JellyBeans

Yeah I wouldn't let a deaf person be a ride op, this would happen.
"Clear"
"Clear"
"All Clear"
*5 minutes later*
"DISPATCH THE love TRAIN"

I do not approve of deaf operators, but your argument in this case is void. A lot of parks now use either dead man-switches or are able to see visually which/if all operators give all clear.

Post June 23rd, 2011, 2:27 pm
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
^ in the UK they do a thumbs up at the same time as having their finger on the green button. Im pretty sure the ride op can't dispatch if one of the buttons isn't pressed.

Post June 23rd, 2011, 4:19 pm

A lot of ride stations are pretty loud and probably impair the hearing abilities of even those with the most sensitive hearing, that being said, I really don't see the problem. Isn't being a ride op more of a visual task than audio? Isn't that why parks use hand signals? I'd rather have a deaf ride op than some punk kid who doesn't give 2 shits(SFMM) because he is pissed off that his parents made him get a summer job. Also, most of the rides I have been on, there are multiple ride ops, especially on coasters.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post June 23rd, 2011, 4:21 pm

Points on hand: 535.00 Points
I'd take that ignorant punk kid pricks' job if he wishes...[:D]
"Don't be a disability"... yep, still keeping that. :P

Post June 23rd, 2011, 4:29 pm

Post June 23rd, 2011, 6:05 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by spacemountainfan619

A lot of ride stations are pretty loud and probably impair the hearing abilities of even those with the most sensitive hearing, that being said, I really don't see the problem. Isn't being a ride op more of a visual task than audio? Isn't that why parks use hand signals? I'd rather have a deaf ride op than some punk kid who doesn't give 2 shits(SFMM) because he is pissed off that his parents made him get a summer job. Also, most of the rides I have been on, there are multiple ride ops, especially on coasters.

While stations can get loud and noisy, those sounds go to the background when after an hour or two. So then you can hear things that are out or the ordinary, not only alarms, but also mechanical sounds.
In my opinion, hearing is a necessity for a ride-op, it is important for the safety.

Post June 23rd, 2011, 9:36 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Once you work on a boomer for a few hours you can't hear anything anyway, so your point is moot.

Post June 24th, 2011, 3:37 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

I don't know what you mean by boomer, but I work alongside Vekomas and a GCI, and I can still hear pretty well during operation. Besides, even if the ride makes a lot of noise, if that noise changes, you'll have to be able to hear that too.

Post June 24th, 2011, 8:02 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

boomer = Older Vekoma Boomerang

It's really not an issue, we have made the necessary adjustments to support his work, and one of our senior mechanics is assigned to spot monitor the ride on a bi-hourly basis.

The ride has been outfitted with acknowledge buttons at all attendant stations, as well as a photo curtain that runs along the floor. There is also a visual alarm if anything is out of place. BTW: All four of those buttons must be pressed within 2 seconds of each other and held until the train is cleared or the dispatch won't happen.

So really the only valid point that has been brought up is the mechanical faults, and those have been handled with increased maintenance observations.

We continue to be incident free and we have every intention of keep it that way.

Post June 24th, 2011, 8:33 pm

hey Mikey, what park do you work in anyway?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park Employment