Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Demon Drop at Dorney Park

Demon Drop at Dorney Park

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post November 30th, 2009, 8:33 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 44.00 Points
Bank: 4,333.00 Points
Originally posted by alias1236

.....I'm tired of CF using Dorney as a dumping ground for leftovers.....

Umm, only 3 rides at Donrey came from other parks. And even the Demon Drop has character. Something tells me though that its not gonna be a "ride"per say. Ill tell you what I mean tonight on the podcast.

Post December 1st, 2009, 2:20 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,054.50 Points

I'm glad this isn't a Six Flags project, Might be the first ever FreeFall ride to feature poop paint and on board audio.

Post December 1st, 2009, 2:30 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Post December 1st, 2009, 8:45 am

Points on hand: 1,440.00 Points
I don't see why some are complaining about getting a "used" ride. DD is unlike all of the modern freefalls ( Which don't usually give you 100% freefall ( S&S towers? ), since its not attached to any cables, DD is PURE freefall. Don't misjudge, DD may be a short ride, but it delivers ( Rode it everytime I went to CP and twice on the last day of the season )
Cedar Point FTW

Post December 1st, 2009, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,049.00 Points
^I'm with you, DD is a great ride, it's just short thats all and I also rode it it every single day that I was at CP
Adrenaline is not an addiction, but a lifestyle.

Post December 1st, 2009, 7:07 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
^, ^^ i just hope they do something with the restraints, those things hurt like hell at the bottom of the drop
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post December 1st, 2009, 9:16 pm

I'll admit they do hurt a little, but I've felt worse.

Post December 1st, 2009, 10:52 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
I know its leaning on the "impossible" side, but wouldnt it be awesome to have a DD with a double drop. Like main drop - slow down - decent to vertical drop (by gravity) - slow down - flip thing and back to station.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post December 2nd, 2009, 3:41 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am glad they are salvaging this first generation Intiman loose change collector. After careful construction of an elaborate collection bin located on top of the cars, my salary and the salary of my crew saw a noticeable increase in unreportable income of $35-$50 a day. I will never forget those days, it is unfortunate that management decided to sabotage and then blow up wildcatter. Even tho she was hostile right out of the box. She still manages to haunt the ride that replaced her (Tony Hawks Big Failure) with the joy of random control system faults.

Aside from its cunning ability to jam units in the lift mechanism, the over complicated yet equally retarded control system, and the consistent sound of units crashing to their impending doom only to be stopped with a primitive break system installed by the lowest bidder. I find this a wise decision indeed. Perhaps I will send them blue prints for my change collection system, that way they might at least break even on the spare parts cost.

Oh BTW, I am not training any of you how to operate this ride. Quite frankly, I think you would be overwhelmed by the amount of flashing lights and push buttons and suffer a life threatening seizure.

Post December 2nd, 2009, 2:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Dorney being my home park, I can't wait to ride this again. I rode it a few years ago at CP and I enjoyed it...a bit painful but deff. worth it.

Post December 2nd, 2009, 5:07 pm

Someone on another site found a news article from CA about DD and Knott's now confirmed that they will not be putting in DD and instead it is going to Dorney

Post December 3rd, 2009, 5:27 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

http://travel.latimes.com/daily-deal-bl ... arm-5930/f

Dorney will install the ride near the go-karts and the log flume. The Krazy Kars might go to make room which IMO, thats not a big deal to me.

Post December 3rd, 2009, 6:30 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make sure they install it so that the dangerous end points towards something solid, like a brick wall.

Post December 4th, 2009, 11:53 pm

Points on hand: 1,098.00 Points
^^^

Doesn't matter what you hit or where you go off the end if the brakes never engage. Lol.

Post December 5th, 2009, 3:13 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well if they did the math right they might be able to skip the cars across the flume pond and in to the employee parking lot.

Post December 20th, 2009, 4:00 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

^ Nah, it would sip into a house.

Update on the ride status, there was a township meeting about it and surprisingly it was approved by a very large margin. Not sure if the opening date will be moved up or not, thats up to the weather.

(A foot of snow is not helping find the pieces in the lot earthier. Most are all buried and I thing that those workers are tripping over them. lol)

Post December 20th, 2009, 12:41 pm

I am SO happy for this to be coming here.
=DDDDD
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post January 26th, 2010, 9:19 am
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Update, green light for construction has been given. Look for the Demon Drop to open sometime in late May or early June.

http://www.mcall.com/entertainment/all- ... 2290.story

Dorney Park & Wildwater Kingdom is adding to its arsenal of rides that push the soles of the feet into the pit of the stomach.

Demon Drop will be new to Dorney but it's not a new ride. The 131-foot drop tower has been dizzying visitors to Dorney's sister park in Ohio, Cedar Point, for 25 years. The parks' parent company, Cedar Fair, decided it was time to refurbish the tower and present it to a new audience.

Rumors about Demon Drop's move -- and where it might end up -- have been buzzing through the amusement park community for months. Bloggers who follow park affairs had reported sightings of possible Demon Drop pieces at Dorney since the ride was dismantled.

Dorney spokesman Chuck Hutchinson said the ride was originally headed for Knott's Berry Farm in Buena Park, Calif., but company officials decided it was a better fit for Dorney, which had more space for it.

''The [Cedar Point regulars] have already experienced it -- it was time to give it a fresh audience,'' Hutchinson said.

The ride was approved by South Whitehall Township commissioners on Wednesday, including Commissioner Christina ''Tori'' Morgan, who joked that she wanted to ride it before voting to approve it.

Demon Drop -- similar to Dorney's existing free-fall ride, the 170-foot Dominator -- will replace the Krazy Kars, a family-friendly vintage bumper car ride. Hutchinson said ground will be broken soon and the ride could be ready by opening day in the spring.

Demon Drop contains six individual cars that hold four people seated side by side. Riders are loaded into the car in a station and then rise slowly up the tower. At the top, the car enters a track and it is released, swooping downward on a curve at roughly 50 mph until it comes to a slow stop resting on its back.

Demon Drop will be in the lowest area of the park at an elevation of 307 feet. The top of the ride will reach nearly 439 feet above sea level. Dorney is permitted to erect rides at a maximum elevation of 540 feet.

''It is a high ride, but by no means anywhere near the height limitations in the park,'' said Dorney attorney Joseph Bubba.

Bubba said the location of the ride meets all township zoning, light, sound and privacy criteria. Park officials have met with neighboring residents in recent years to discuss plans and listen to concerns.

Since Cedar Fair purchased Dorney Park in 1992, it has added several big, high-tech rides, including the Steel Force Roller Coaster and the Dominator.

The park ''has gone really out of their way to engage the community,'' Bubba said.

Post January 26th, 2010, 1:08 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I am glad that it is coming to Dorney. I think it will fit in much more nicely in contrast to the other rides.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post February 8th, 2010, 3:46 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Construction has started. The Krazy Kars building is long gone. Some of the ride cars are being readied for operation this season. Parts are getting repainted the same color the ride was at CP. We might see a new logo or signage but thats not 100% at this time.

The ride is on par to open with Dorney or shortly after May 1st 2010.

http://newsplusnotes.blogspot.com/2010/ ... -2510.html

(PS: I will be the Team Lead (Thanks Mike and Oscar for the good reviews.) for two Zamperala rides. Stop by and say HI if you at the park.)

Post February 8th, 2010, 7:52 pm

=DDDDD

Post April 7th, 2010, 2:11 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Update on progress.

Ill be going to the park for site trainings over the next few days. Ill be looking to see what is happening with Demon Drop. I have heard that steel is going vertical though so we shall see. Ride is rumored to be ready for the Memorial Day Weekend.

The fallowing rides will NOT open with the park due to construction.

1. Demon Drop
2. Thunder Creek Mountain
3. Thunder Creek Speedway (Go-Karts)
4. Swan Boats

Post May 12th, 2010, 8:47 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

UPDATE:

My work location is next to Hydra which gives me some good views of Demon Drop. The run-out and tower are built and need to be tracked. Line paths are being made and the ride is looking cool.

Mikey, the run-out is at the side of a brick wall. Maybe you should come by and build it a little longer to match the run-out track.

Expected opening is this summer. Hopefully in June but dont get your hopes up.

Post May 12th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post May 12th, 2010, 9:04 pm
Tetsu Premium Member
Premium Member

Yea, its a lot further along then that opening day NPN report.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!