Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Editing Pictures

Editing Pictures

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post April 9th, 2005, 11:20 pm

Points on hand: 3,649.00 Points

This has to do with editing images from RCT3.I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of the tool bars that show up on my images from RCT3.I'm not very good at editing so I just want to know what others do with there RCT3 images to make them look good.Oh,and I'm editing them in paint so if you guys use some other special editing program tell me.

Please answer and give me some tips!

Post April 10th, 2005, 7:11 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

Adobe Photoshop CS

One of the most powerful graphic design programs you can get. I also recommened you go to www.good-tutorials.com to get started with. Its a whole new world and since you have only been using paint you will be completly stumped on what to do

Post April 10th, 2005, 11:27 am

Post April 10th, 2005, 7:23 pm

Points on hand: 2,861.00 Points
Yeah, I am sure that he is going to go out and spend $749 bucks on Photoshop so he can edite RCT3 screenshots.

There are plenty of good image editors, you may have one already installed on your computers. Some printers and scanners come bundled with them. Some of the cheap ones that you can buy retail (take your pick, there are a couple of dozen of them for around the $40 range) have a basic set of "plug and play" editing features. Most of the functions are limited, but they may suit your needs.

If you really want to get into digital image editing, a hobby level program such as Photoshop Elements (currently at version 3, so version 2 is down in price to about 50 bucks) or JASC Paint Shop Pro are excellent starters. The programs usually run in the $80 - $100 price range but are worth the money. Photoshop Elements 3 is your better bet, since it closely resembles Adobe Photoshop. It's features are scaled back a bit but are robust enough for just about anyone except very advanced hobbyists and industry professionals.

Photoshop CS is the graphic industry standard for image editing. Corel Draw still has a somewhat loyal following but Adobe really owns it. The program is vast in it's abilities and because of this, I do not recommend learning image editing with it, as The Edge suggested. I am not saying you can't, just saying that many get fustrated with it. It actually is not a hard program to learn, though you can spend years learning it and never fully use all the features. (I have used it for ten years, including working in the digital imaging field and I have yet to learn it all, though I am quite comfortable with it). The price tag is also prohibative.

Post April 10th, 2005, 9:55 pm

Once again thanks for the rccommendation and your right I'm not going to buy Photoshop but I did download a trial version of it so for now(30 days)I'll be using that.

Post April 11th, 2005, 3:45 am

Points on hand: 3,318.00 Points
Location: Kettering, England / Northamptonshire, United Kingdom

torch i beleive that Photoshop costs more like $3000 [lol] I was referring for him to use the free trial version, thats what i use...then simply uninstall in and re-download [lol]. But yeah however much Photoshop is, its a ridiculous price to pay, simply for a program.

Post April 11th, 2005, 4:18 am

Points on hand: 2,690.00 Points
$3000 is roughly what 3DS MAX costs. Torch is right about the Photoshop price. If you're looking for a free alternative, try Gimp. I've never used it since I own Photshop, but I've heard it is pretty good.

Post April 11th, 2005, 3:27 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

The best continuous free editor I have ever used in XNview. You can't draw with it, but it does just about everything else, from changing formats to cropping, resizing, changing picture definition, blurring or sharpening, and adding effects like watercolor and oil painting. Plus, it's completely free. Check it out. http://www.xnview.com

Post April 11th, 2005, 8:23 pm

Post April 12th, 2005, 5:32 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Or you can use photoshop elements, also available via internet, well the free 30-day trial is. I believe its only $25-40 to buy. Its meant for editing pictures taken with cameras, but obviously works just as fine with RCT3 screenshots, as well as other sims and games. I am thankful that my dad has PS, but only because he freelances and he is in the marketing/advertising field.

Post April 12th, 2005, 9:32 pm

I'm grateful to everyone who gave suggestions and tips.For now I'm probably going to use paint and/or XnView as well as(maybe)the trial download version of Adobe Photoshop.Thanks again for all your help.

Return to Off Topic Discussion