Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Employment Employee at Cedar Point?

Employee at Cedar Point?

This category is for all theme park employees, past, present, and future.

Post April 23rd, 2014, 10:40 pm

Points on hand: 5,248.00 Points
I was wondering if there is anyone that is currently employed of has been employed with Cedar Point? Or for that matter at any other Amusement Parks?

I am currently applying to work at Cedar Point and was wondering if there was any advice you could give me to put on the application or how the application process works?

I am 21 and out of state so hoping to get into the housing program.

Thanks!

Post April 23rd, 2014, 11:35 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,537.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

ck recently made it thru I think and there's a couple here that work at cp as ride ops, marketing dept, etc. I'm sure one of them will chime in.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post April 24th, 2014, 12:57 am

Points on hand: 322.00 Points
I worked at cedar point 2002,2004, and 2005 and lived in the dorms. I can help if you need it, but applying this late you may not get in. If you have any questions or need any advice I'll help you as much as I can.

Post April 24th, 2014, 6:06 am

Thats to bad, I saw on there Facebook page they were still hiring for the summer, so I thought I'd just send in my application. I do have few questions for you though.

How extensive is training to be a ride op? Should I know certain things before/if I show up for training?

and how does the housing program work for those that are 30+ miles from the park?

Post April 24th, 2014, 8:49 am

Points on hand: 322.00 Points
The ride op training isn't hard at all. First you'll be shown how to check the restraints for the ride(s) you'll be operating. For most that's just making sure they're buckled in and that the lap bar is locked. Then you'll be shown how to operate the ride. That is very ride dependant as some are as simple as lift the e-stop to start and press the e-stop to stop.

If you're assigned to a coaster with a lift hill (minus MF) then you'll have to walk up the hill to the top and out to the mids if a ride has them to show you're able to do so if the ride stops and a train is on the lift/mids. You'll need to do this in order to work the platform and operate the coaster.

For the housing they have a few different options to choose from. There is the 16 person apartment like housing that has 4 rooms with 3 beds and one room with 4 beds in it. These are pretty spacious and because everyone will have different hours you'll hardly see everyone at the same time.

Then they have the dorm like rooms that fit 4 people into a small space.

They do(did I think they got rid of them, but not sure) have some hosing on the peninsula that used to be hotels, but I never got to see a room in there so not sure how they're setup.

I'd recomend the 16 person one if you can get it. They usually go pretty fast. Also bring a fan and your own sheets, pillow, and blankets that you like. Try to bring as little as possible with you. Space is limited even in the 16 person housing. And don't bring anything expensive like computers and the like. For the most part people are honest, but you never know.

I do hope you get in as it's a lot of fun, but be ready to work long hours.

Post April 24th, 2014, 9:04 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Send an application in. The application is fairly easy and doesn't really have any curveballs. Poopoo hit the fan for me finishing my masters this semester (advisor hasn't edited my thesis yet and he has had it since goddamned January) this summer and I applied online to be a ride-op less than a week ago and got a phone call the next work day, followed by a skype interview. I applied on a friday and got a phone call on the following monday so IDK if that counts as "next day" but they were definitely interested. I'm assuming you're in high school so the interest level may not be as high with you. The skype interview was primarily them asking about what I'm doing with myself, and had a heavy focus on customer service and getting along with people. They asked me my most stand out customer service experience, and we also interested in any felonies, fighting in high school, and generic "don't be an idiot" stuff like that. I also think the skype interview functioned as a "doesn't have pink hair and facial tattoos" screen-out test.

I'm grossly overqualified for the position so they nicely stuck me on the Mantis crew (that may change and they were very clear about it) despite having no experience. This surprised me because I was expecting to be stuck running the merry-go-round or something terrible and boring like that so I have no problem with that and I'm pretty thankful. It also could be because I'm able to work into September and the high school kids start going back to school mid-late August, or it's because I clarified in my application that I'm applying for reasons other than hitting rock bottom, I have career goals, etc.

As far as getting a job there goes, can you work maybe at King's Dominion or Busch Gardens Europe? They're closer to you (while possibly still being far enough away to put you in dorms) and it would be much easier to get to those parks within a day for you. I'm supposed to show up at CP in early May mid-afternoon, and you'll have serious complications doing the same if you're underaged and need to get a hotel room the night before. CP is 5 hours and some change away from me, so I'm just going to leave at 6AM that day, which allows me a 3 hour cushion to pump gas/eat/get lost. You wouldn't have this same "ease of getting there" without creating a big overnight to-do with your parents being involved.

I applied to CP because major job fairs for my field of study are in September, and if I need to get a rig job which would require extensive travel (backup plan if conferences don't work out) I will be fired from it or not allowed to take time off if I go to those conferences. My sister's wedding is also during that month. CP allows me to quit around the time of those conferences and finish a "season" without committing career suicide, and quite frankly it beats dealing with executive yuppies at the local Starbucks. I live too close to live in the dorms and yet simultaneously far enough away to have gas be a major paycheck dent, and I'm sure as hell not going to apply to the Wisconsin white-trash Disneyland. The CP job gets me out of the house (it's a pride issue at my age despite it having nothing to do with my actions) and it allows me to work a fair amount of hours so I can afford the airfare and hotel fees at these conferences. I don't see this job being any harder than the old high school job I had in a Chicago ghetto, and I'm treating it as an "experience". I'm not thrilled about doing thesis edits on days off near a theme park, but I'll survive I suppose and I need to do what I have to do.

To answer your housing question, they're deducting around 30 bucks a week for housing (depending on where I choose to live) and I also have to buy food. This is most likely cheaper for me than paying for the gas to get to and from SFGAm assuming I got something there near me (employee dorms have a shuttle bus. I plan on driving nowhere for several months). You will have at least one roommate (probably 3-5) from what I have read in the information PDF thingy they sent me so prepare for that. Also some dorms do and some dorms don't have air conditioning, so if you're a heat wuss be aware of that. Some that have AC have a "main room" with AC and the bedrooms don't. I haven't personally been in them yet, but that usually at least in apartments means that if it's 95 out it'll be 80 in the room with the AC unit in it at 85 in the rooms that don't have it.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post April 24th, 2014, 10:50 am

I'm 21 and working on my BS of Mechanical Engineering. So I'll be done with this semester on May 5th so it should work out if they decide to hire me. I applied for Mechanic and ride op as my prefered choice. Travelling up there would be now problem since I have my own car and have no obligations this summer. But thank you two for the info! I will try to apply for Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens as well. Busch Gardens is about 45 min away so kinda sucks for gas and Kings dominion is double that. Hopefully I fall into the category to live in the dorms!

Post April 28th, 2014, 7:40 pm

With all of your tips I got an interview on Thursday to work at Kings Dominion as a Ride-Op! So thank you guys!

Return to Theme Park Employment