Board index Public Relations Site Related Exchange Suggestion

Exchange Suggestion

Posts that are directly related to the site.

Post May 17th, 2009, 7:02 pm

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
I had the idea that there should be an "unrated track" section of the exchange, for tracks that havent received any ratings. I've found many great rides on the exchange that weren't rated and deserved more than a "0". Many people skip over rides with zeros, so i think it would help people (especially people who's good tracks go unrated) get feedback.
^the message is up there^

Post May 17th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Points on hand: 2,333.00 Points
Good idea, but isn't that kinda what the track advertising forum used for?

Post May 17th, 2009, 7:30 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

Meh. I still think it'd be best to have a "quick-rate" option, where people could give a 1-10 integer rating to the ride in lieu of a full-fledged rating. I have no idea how difficult that'd be to add to the site, but certainly more people would participate since the "cost" of doing so would be far lower, and you'd be able to tell at a glance the good rides from the bad ones.

Of course, nothing beats real feedback in the form of a complete rating, but it'd be interesting to see how people would rate rides if they had to condense it down to a single number.

Post May 17th, 2009, 7:40 pm

^Even better idea! kinda like itunes with the 5 star rating?... except with a number scale. (once again i find myself stating the obvious)[lol]

Post May 17th, 2009, 8:07 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

So clicking the rate track button is a lot of work hence people don't rate?
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post May 17th, 2009, 8:12 pm

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

^No, but writing a rate does. It takes at least a solid 20 minutes to rate a track if you're doing it right, whereas leaving a single value takes only the time to ride the track a couple of times and choose a rating.

Post May 17th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Well i think that if there was the quick rate option, then nobody would do full rates. Its not that hard, you can just do small ratings that take as long as a good forum post.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Points on hand: 1,771.00 Points

Originally posted by Kevin Brennan

^No, but writing a rate does. It takes at least a solid 20 minutes to rate a track if you're doing it right, whereas leaving a single value takes only the time to ride the track a couple of times and choose a rating.

I actually think it's a brilliant idea. It would certainly cut down on rides with no ratings.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:08 pm

Thank you. Its kinda annoying when i see coasters (not just my own) with many, many downloads and not a single rate.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

You could just leave the point reward for full out rates and not award any points for the numerical-only rates. That would keep some full rates going, but many less tracks would be left unrated.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:18 pm

^but wont you miss full ratings so you can see where you went right/wrong. And so you could simply understand why the ratings were the way they were. Plus, what if a coaster had a high rating, but someone had a conflict with someone at one point and rated them like 1 and brought their score down without having proof that rating they gave them was fair.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:24 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Unexplained rates is a reason of many complaints. Think about it guys.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Points on hand: 3,207.00 Points

If rating was that simple, there would most likely be many many more ratings per coaster, so they would probably even out. I'm not in full favor of this whole idea yet though.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:31 pm

I never said anything about numerical-only rates.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:37 pm

Aha, so what were you saying. Give a rate real quick according to what your thinking, or explain what your thinking.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:49 pm

I wasnt thinking of shortening rates in any way. The point was to make a page in the exchange for coasters that havent gotten any rates. Ive seemed to notice that after a coaster isn't "new" anymore, and it hasent gotten rates, it goes forever unrated. So the point is to try to get each track rated so builders can get feedback.

Post May 17th, 2009, 9:55 pm

HOW ABOUT PEOPLE GET HOWEVER MANY POINTS MORE FOR BEING THE FIRST TO RATE A TRACK!!!!! Every track would get rated[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][approve]

Post May 17th, 2009, 10:31 pm

but then you have those noobs that will give an incorrect rate just for points

Post May 17th, 2009, 10:41 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Back to the number-only rates, would it be that hard to make an algorithm that simply kicks out outliers, for example a great ride with a bunch of 9s and 10s suddenly has some jerk who is holding a grudge against the uploader, and rates it a 1, the algorithm disregards the 1 rate? I think I could do it myself, and I'm a junior in high school. I think that system is really quite promising. And, quite honestly, I think that most of the "real" rates that are posted now are up because people WANTED to rate them. I don't foresee any significant drop in the number of productive rates if the number-only system is implemented. Plus, an added advantage of it is that the number of 1-line rates would drop dramatically, because people who want to rate the track, but don't want to "rate" the track will simply click "8" or something.

Post May 17th, 2009, 10:49 pm

^And maybe if a person decided to rate an outlier, maybe that person would be the people who would want to explain why they rated the coaster that number and give reasoning... I no I would still write full reviews for the coasters i really believe deserve them.

Post May 17th, 2009, 11:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Well, the site could always notify admins when somebody posts an "outlier" rate, and they could inspect it.

Return to Site Related