Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Favorite New Coaster of 2015?

Favorite New Coaster of 2015?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Favorite New Coaster of 2015?

Baron 1898
7%
Batman: The Ride (Fiesta Texas)
No votes
Cannibal
7%
Cu Chulainn
No votes
Fury 325
40%
Impulse
No votes
Laff Trakk
No votes
Oblivion (Gardaland)
7%
Rougarou
7%
Switchback
7%
Tempesto
No votes
Twisted Colossus
20%
Thunderbird
No votes
Wicked Cyclone
7%

Total votes : 15

Post October 18th, 2015, 3:04 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Now that coaster season 2015 is coming to an end, I was wondering what everyone's favorite new coaster that opened this year was.

The only "new" coaster I rode this year was Rougarou, which was a fun B&M floorless, but I though the coaster enthusiast community overhyped it a little too much. As for which coaster looks the best the best, I can't choose one because there were too many amazing-looking rides that came out, but Wicked Cyclone, Twisted Colossus, and Fury 325 particularly stood out to me.

If I missed any coasters in the poll, let me know and I'll add them in.
Last edited by VF15 on October 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 18th, 2015, 7:38 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
Wicked Cyclone master race
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post October 18th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
anyone who votes for Impulse doesn't know how to coaster.
American Eagle Lover

Post October 19th, 2015, 12:31 am

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
The only new coaster I rode in 2015 was Twisted Colossus, but as that has become my favorite coaster I have to pick that. I do think Fury 325 looks like the overall best coaster of 2015, but I'll have to wait until next summer to try that for myself.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post October 19th, 2015, 7:21 am

Points on hand: 1,047.00 Points
Fury 325 is my favorite. Luckily im only 45min away from it..... :D

Post October 19th, 2015, 9:44 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
I have a bit of a grudge against Wicked Cyclone, I still prefer the old one after riding both. I think Cannibal is a damn cool ride and definitely the most original ride of the year, although I can't say for certain it's the best, It's getting my vote.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post October 19th, 2015, 10:45 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points
I haven't been able to ride any of them :( , but I will be able to do B:TR at SFFT later this month.

Post October 19th, 2015, 1:06 pm
herman116 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,471.00 Points
I've ridden three coasters which are new this year:

• Baron 1898 - Efteling
  • Twisted Colossus - Six Flags Magic Mountain
  • K??rnan - Hansa Park
I think Baron is a pretty fun coaster and has the best theming of the new coasters that I've ridden but the other two are better in my opinion. Twisted Colossus is my first RMC and I liked it really much but I liked K??rnan just a little bit more. The track of Twisted Colossus was better and smoother than K??rnan but I really loved the surprise element of K??rnan and the boarding: Faith will decide the row you will be riding in!

Post October 19th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
slosprint wrote:
I have a bit of a grudge against Wicked Cyclone, I still prefer the old one after riding both. I think Cannibal is a damn cool ride and definitely the most original ride of the year, although I can't say for certain it's the best, It's getting my vote.

I'm mad that I went for Cyclone's final days instead of waiting for Wicked Cyclone... I thought the original Cyclone sucked. First drop was painful, part of the ride was ruined by topper track, and the rest was ruined by trims. I can see how it was good back in the day, but I didn't care for it when I rode it.
American Eagle Lover

Post October 20th, 2015, 1:15 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Jonny Richey wrote:
I'm mad that I went for Cyclone's final days instead of waiting for Wicked Cyclone... I thought the original Cyclone sucked. First drop was painful, part of the ride was ruined by topper track, and the rest was ruined by trims. I can see how it was good back in the day, but I didn't care for it when I rode it.

It had several instances of ejector air that rivaled Cyclops' old drop in the back; and while WC does have plenty of ejector air, it all feels kind of predictable in comparison. I'm not arguing new is worse than old or vice versa, I'm just upset that one of the few rides that offered such unpredictable and intense forces closed, leaving nearly no equivalents in the area. I've gotten to the point where I don't really feel any adrenaline on anything I expect, which is kind of depressing for me. You can put me on pretty much anything and unless it really surprises me by flinging me out of my seat or pacing much faster than what seems intended (Like Kumba in recent years), I just can't get the same satisfaction from it I used to. Wicked Cyclone is a great ride, but it got rid of one of the only rides that still made me feel anything, and I can't really forgive it for that.

Cannibal in comparison did not result in a unique ride being torn down, and along with Impulse (laugh it up) is a great example of small parks working with designers to create something unique. I am slightly confused as to Gerstlauer's role in creating Cannibal, as RCDB does not mention them, and it appears similar to Karnan in some ways. If they did play a major role in design and construction, the ride definitely helped cement them for me as one of the few coaster companies willing to build big structures; along with B&M and Intamin.

EDIT: WAIT JUST A DAMN MINUTE

Karnan has a reverse freefall DURRING the lift? Screw everything else, this ride deserves the title of best new ride in 2015. Just look at the thing. Please add it to the poll.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post October 20th, 2015, 3:34 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I agree Rougarou is kind of a piece of shiit. From speculation, Twisted Colossus is factually the best roller coaster in the world.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post October 20th, 2015, 7:38 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
GerstlCrazy wrote:
From speculation, Twisted Colossus is factually the best roller coaster in the world.

Having ridden TC, I can say that it is extremely overhyped. It has some good moments but when the ride doesn't duel it loses an excitement factor and the second lift really kills pacing.

I think RMC does better when they have less to work with. When given huge rides like Texas Giant and Rattler they were able to make a decent ride but nothing that felt truly complete in all aspects. When given Medusa and Cyclone they were able to produce much better layouts with much better pacing.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post October 20th, 2015, 9:24 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Hey Fury 325, I choose you! These first two banked curves caught my heart! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post October 20th, 2015, 9:28 am

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
Fury 325 is by far the best coaster of 2015, and so far the best hyper/giga ever built.

Wicked Cyclone was great, but will be almost forgotten by the time the RMCs of 2016 open.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Post October 20th, 2015, 10:45 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,463.00 Points
you forgot to add the Switchback at ZTD's Amusement Park!

Post October 20th, 2015, 10:56 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
As far as I'm aware Cannibal was completely in house?
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Post October 20th, 2015, 12:12 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
skyscraper wrote:

Just added it in, thanks!

Edit: I accidentally deleted all of the original poll results by doing that. Sorry guys.

Post October 20th, 2015, 12:16 pm

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points
Baron is the only one I rode, that doesn't mean it wasn't awesome.
Riding this coaster doesn't feel like riding a coaster, you're stepping into a story, I love it.
Taron>Helix get mad

Post October 20th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,463.00 Points

Post October 20th, 2015, 1:14 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
GerstlCrazy wrote:
From speculation, Twisted Colossus is factually the best roller coaster in the world.

Having ridden TC, I can say that it is extremely overhyped. It has some good moments but when the ride doesn't duel it loses an excitement factor and the second lift really kills pacing.

The main thing with Twisted Colossus is that the ride experience can change drastically depending on whether or not you manage to get a duel. When the ride runs as designed and duels the entire time, it may be the best roller coaster ever built. However, because of SFMM's operations and the general public combined I'd estimate about 20% of riders get a duel for one of the two laps and maybe 1% actually experience a double duel. It is still a top tier coaster, but without the dueling it does feel like two short coasters connected together and a couple of the signature moments (especially the high-five) feel pointless.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post October 20th, 2015, 1:50 pm
Metazoanhaddock User avatar

Points on hand: 3,327.00 Points
Bank: 52,337.00 Points
when i was last at SFMM, both times i rode TC we hit interval and dueled on both laps, maybe you guys just go on shitty operations days lol. Oscar will confirm this as he was sitting next to me both times.
Head Moderator
Director, Structural Engineer - PEAK Amusements
Site Contest Judge (Supporting)
Chatroom Admin

Post October 20th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I can't believe that Twisted Colossus is voted the best ride of 2015 everywhere
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post October 21st, 2015, 7:48 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
skyscraper wrote:

Just added it in, thanks!

Edit: I accidentally deleted all of the original poll results by doing that. Sorry guys.

Well done, both of you! :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Return to General Theme Park Discussions