Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! GhostRider To Be Restored In 2016

GhostRider To Be Restored In 2016

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post June 3rd, 2016, 6:31 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
Oscar wrote:
uhmmm you guys should be at Knott's later today, like 7pm ;)

Testing tonight? I hope it's nothing more than that. Anyway, I was just there yesterday and while workers were at the ride all day they didn't send any test trains. I'll be there on the 12th, but unless there's a season pass preview I'm not planning to go again before then.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post June 3rd, 2016, 7:12 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
rcdude wrote:
Oscar wrote:
uhmmm you guys should be at Knott's later today, like 7pm ;)

Testing tonight? I hope it's nothing more than that. Anyway, I was just there yesterday and while workers were at the ride all day they didn't send any test trains. I'll be there on the 12th, but unless there's a season pass preview I'm not planning to go again before then.

Soft opening is tonight
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post June 3rd, 2016, 11:43 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,597.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

So, after receiving word from a good solid source, I went ahead today to KBF for the soft opening of Ghostrider. When I got there, I met 2 of the guys from GCI. Chatted a bit and then went to hang out at the entrance. Shortly after 7pm, Ghostrider started going. First there were a few trains with employees and then the queue was opened up for the general public. No coupon required like we see at other parks. Everyone was welcomed. I rode the 2nd train to go out which was the Silver train. Before you judge Ghostrider from my review, read it all.

So, the Silver train. I have to say that if you were expecting it to be tamed, the silver train provides that. It was soft, it did fly right thru the track but it was just too smooth. I was then informed that I rode the slow train. I thought how much better can the bronze train be? So a new friend I made in the queue and I got out from the silver train and got in line again for another spin. This time we let the silver train go by and rode the bronze once. Let me tell you, this is like 2 completely different rides. Silver is nice and smooth and the bronze one was wild, wicked, fast and you had ejector air in it. It was downright awesome! Ghostrider is indeed restored when you ride it in the bronze train.

You can tell the difference in the trains immediately exiting the station. There is no slowdown going into what was the midcourse brake. On the silver train you get a lift from the seat falling out that section. On the bronze train you have ejector air and are standing up the entire way down. On the silver train you get floater air on the airtime hills and on the bronze train you have negative g's and you feel your body pushing up on the harness.

The helix, OMG the helix is so much better! It is no longer crazy painful. They made it so it is fun and fast! Once again, the bronze train provided a better experience here. Typically I like to hold on to the harness in the helix due to my size and my back issues. On the silver train I was able to hold on well but on the bronze train I couldn't and ended up hitting the rider on the left of me lol

The drop off the midcourse is nice! You get good air on out on it and are out of your seat until it reaches the bottom.

So, is Ghostrider actually restored or was it murdered? My answer is that it is restored fully in the bronze train and the silver train leaves you desiring more. So, pay attention to which train you get on! Ride the bronze one for the best experience!

[edit - I was informed that the silver train will be as good as the gold train, it just needs to be broken in some more]

Ghostrider1.jpg

Ghostrider2.jpg

Ghostrider3.jpg

Ghostrider4.jpg

Ghostrider6.jpg
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post June 4th, 2016, 4:20 am

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points
Funny how a train can make or break an entire ride.
Taron>Helix get mad

Post June 4th, 2016, 5:00 am
Paradox User avatar

Eh they'll even out eventually. The silver train probably hasn't had as many runs as the bronze one.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post June 4th, 2016, 6:21 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
straightbanana wrote:

They can definitely be temperamental depending on what has or hasn't broken in or been broken.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post June 4th, 2016, 1:06 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

re: pics added, guess I didn't take more than I wanted to XD
Paradox wrote:

Post June 5th, 2016, 2:39 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post June 5th, 2016, 1:47 pm
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Crossing my fingers that they are still playing the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly theme in the queue.
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

Post June 5th, 2016, 3:17 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,858.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post June 5th, 2016, 9:58 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
If you are on YouTube, no. :sad:
Last edited by lol240 on June 9th, 2016, 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post June 6th, 2016, 5:44 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
straightbanana wrote:

You can notice that difference on George and the dragon as well. All depends on how many runs a train had and how well and fresh they were maintained. :)

Good to hear that Ghostrider is back in shape. I would have loved to pay a visit after this fix. Maybe I can arrange something for the end of the year around December. x3
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post June 7th, 2016, 4:39 pm

Points on hand: 5,701.00 Points
So I've also had a chance to ride the refurbished GhostRider. On Saturday, I was visiting Scandia and Castle Park with some friends when one received word that GhostRider had soft opened, so after finishing up at those parks we headed to Knott's to ride it. Even though we had comp Fast Lane passes (my friend has connections), we only managed to ride twice in 90 minutes, and with an all-day event at SFMM on Sunday we decided not to stick around longer. I then went back yesterday with a different friend for a couple more rides in the evening.

How is the ride? Well, it is not quite as crazy as I remember GhostRider being when I first rode it in 1999, but it is still an outstanding roller coaster. The ride has a lot of floating airtime with a couple ejector moments, plenty of laterals (particularly in the second half), and most importantly is very, very smooth. The Millennium Flyer trains are much more comfortable than the old PTC trains were and run excellently on this coaster. I did ride both trains in the same seats (a middle row and the back row...haven't tried the front yet), and while the gold/copper train (not sure which it is supposed to be) did provide a slightly wilder ride than the silver train, the difference was pretty small. Overall, this ride feels like a GCI done in the style of a CCI rather than a pure-blooded CCI creation, but that is not a bad thing and it may help preventing the ride from tearing itself apart within 2-3 years. Also, for the first time in 10+ years, I can say that I was completely satisfied with the ride after an hour wait.

I will have to do more laps on the coaster before deciding exactly where I rank it, but I can say out of the nearly 70 wood coasters I've been on it definitely ranks in the top 10 and may crack the top 5 after everything is broken it. GhostRider is not the best wooden coaster anywhere, but it has returned to being a top tier ride and is worth a special trip for anyone in the area that didn't experience it pre-2002. I will be going back on Sunday for more rides, and I hope it will be a ride I can look forward to for years to come.
Coaster Count: 535 (114 wood, 444 steel); Park Count: 110
Top 5 Wood: El Toro, Voyage, Thunderhead, Outlaw Run, Boulder Dash
Top 5 Steel: Superman the Ride, Fury 325, Millennium Force, X2, Intimidator 305

Post June 9th, 2016, 9:59 am
Paradox User avatar

POV!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post June 9th, 2016, 10:10 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

The video is highly misleading -_-
Paradox wrote:

Post June 9th, 2016, 11:34 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,858.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Post June 9th, 2016, 12:11 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

If the video looks awesome, then like multiply that by 100 and it'd that much more awesomer(?) in person :)
Paradox wrote:

Post June 9th, 2016, 12:19 pm

Points on hand: 6,144.00 Points

Post June 9th, 2016, 1:27 pm
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,058.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post June 9th, 2016, 6:12 pm

Points on hand: 9,972.00 Points
That sequence right after The Drop looks freaking incredible. Full speed ahead.
mkingy wrote:
Yoda was famously quoted as saying:

Yoda wrote:
Free the Orcas, you must
Sith will prevail, otherwise

Fluorometholone

Post June 11th, 2016, 5:49 pm

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Maybe a tad too smooth... of course in a good meaning! :)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!