Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Giga Project

Giga Project

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post May 9th, 2005, 4:29 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points
Originally posted by Real

jpecool: The cable couldnt work that way. The train has to be stationary because theres a pin/lever that flips up and hooks to the train. On MF the cable comes back down while the train is sitting in the station. Before they send it up, the cable backs up about 5ft and you hear a nice metal "clank" and then the cable slides forward about 2ft and then catches on the train, hauling it up.

If anything there could be a straight peice but the cable would still be retracted back into the station and just pull it from there.

Yep and basically for this to happen the train must be completely stopped right? Also, one of the reasons that MF has a cable/elevator lift is because the typical Intamin lift would of wieghed to much for the supports with the already heavy wieght of the train and track. They could of added more supports and added a chain lift, but I would bet it would of been more costly, and the ride to the top wouldn't be 22 seconds.

Post May 9th, 2005, 5:00 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Possibly. The reasons for cable are speed and efficiency. You could get a chain to do it, but it would cost more.

Post May 9th, 2005, 5:17 pm
Premium Member

*** Puts up flame shield ***

Now, back on topic, everything looks really great Tyler. The only thing to comment on is the supports, but my thoughts are identical to others that have already posted theirs.

Post May 9th, 2005, 5:51 pm

Points on hand: 1,269.00 Points

Originally posted by Real

jpecool: The cable couldnt work that way.

Sorry but this is the exact way of how the Goliath works..
Last year i was the operator at this ride.. and the train first leaves the station with the help of booster wheels.. then the cable starts running.. clicks on the train..(Clunk!) and there we go..
IF we have a miscatch..the trains doesn't make it to the rollback and will rollback into the station.. (E-STOP neccesary)

Post May 9th, 2005, 6:22 pm

That makes no sense, though I do believe you. Its possible, but seems rather stupid.

http://www.rcdb.com/ig1565.htm?picture=45

Especially from that picture. Again I dont discredit what you are saying, it just doesnt seem to make sense. Why push the train out and chance the risk of not catching it when you can just catch to the train in the station?

Im assuming the cable goes down into the station and then under the station?

That setup seems rather odd. I dont see any advantage to doing that really. I doubt it speeds up loading that much. Plus you run 2 trains so unless your crew is really bad you should never really stack em (or other misc things that happen..seat belts, etc)

Post May 9th, 2005, 6:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,378.00 Points

though i think tommy is right, i mean why would he lie about something. but i think intamin did that for experimental purpose or something.

MF-out of station (2000)
EGF-out of station (2001)
GWW-up, then leaves station (2002)
TD-out of station (2003)

maybe that was just an experiment by Intamin's part, but they corrected it in 2003 w/ Thunder Dolphin cause of all the Estops WW had to do with goliath.

Post May 9th, 2005, 6:32 pm
Premium Member

I thought MF was the only coaster to use an elevator style lift O_o.

Post May 9th, 2005, 6:57 pm

Post May 9th, 2005, 6:58 pm
Premium Member

Post May 10th, 2005, 10:08 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Tyler, here is the way to silence everyone about the cable or chain lift... use a prebrake that stops the train for a second. There is no law that states that cable lifts have to start in the station. As long as the train stops for a second at the end of the segment, to hook up to the cable, it is completely legit. I am using the same thing on my current giga coaster under construction.

Previous

Return to Hard Hat Area