Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Graphic Art

Graphic Art

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post October 26th, 2007, 11:09 pm

Points on hand: 905.00 Points

I've been dabbling in Photoshop and other such programs for a while now and I think I'm finally starting to get good. I know there are a few of you out there, so lets see some of your best graphic art work.

Here's a wallpaper I did just today:
(The picture is 1152 by 864, so if you computer's resolution is smaller than that, you might not see it all.)

203.57 KB

I did this header for my friend's website:

52.23 KB

I also did Garrett's Disarray screenshot:

86.88 KB

Random picture of a random girl. I liked her smile:

82.15 KB

And here is a wallpaper I did a long time ago. Mild adult content warning. Didn't want to put it directly up here as she is topless, even though nothing is really shown.

Well, I hope you like and do feel free to post some of your own work. I, along with others I'm sure, would love to see what you've made.

Cheers.

Post October 26th, 2007, 11:21 pm

Points on hand: 4,046.00 Points
of all the models you could have picked you picked her lol, she's gorgeous! one of my personal favorites. you have VERY good taste my man...lol

Post October 26th, 2007, 11:26 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

My avatar is the only real photoshop project I've worked on, nothing very impressive but it was fun. Here's the bigger version of it:

Image Insert:
130.95 KB

Post October 26th, 2007, 11:29 pm

Points on hand: 4,830.00 Points

Post October 31st, 2007, 6:14 pm

A planet just about to explode. Took about two hours and is my favorite project so far. I'm very happy with the turn-out.

C'mon guys, I know there's more of you on here than this. Lets see it!

Post October 31st, 2007, 6:32 pm

Points on hand: 77.00 Points

Post October 31st, 2007, 7:35 pm

Points on hand: 1,771.00 Points

Here is a little blurb I made in between homework in about 7 minutes.

Post October 31st, 2007, 7:52 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
Could someone teach me how to use photoshop?
I have no f***ing idea how to use it.
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post October 31st, 2007, 8:01 pm

Points on hand: 1,771.00 Points

LOL! photoshop is a HUGELY complicated and powerful program. Can you give us some idea of what you want to do with it?

Post October 31st, 2007, 9:42 pm

Originally posted by ianko66

Could someone teach me how to use photoshop?
I have no f***ing idea how to use it.

Here's what I do:
1: Experiment.
2: Experiment.
3: Experiment.
4: Practice.
5: Practice.
6: Experiment.
7: Look up tutorial.
8: Practice.
9: Practice.
10: Practice.

And so on.

It takes time, and just asking, "How do I do this?!?" isn't going to get you anywhere. You just have to sit down with the program and "play." Don't be afraid of making mistakes. Nobody's watching or grading. Throw some wacky filter combination on it. Who knows, when all is said and done, you may get something really cool.

Oh, and Solique, what did you do to that first image? The final product looks fantastic. And what was your original image?

Post October 31st, 2007, 11:49 pm

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Post November 1st, 2007, 12:17 am

Points on hand: 107.00 Points
I've been using photoshop for almost 3 years now and I'm still learning some things, it is such a complicated (in a good way) program. And like said Iron Man the best way to learn is experimenting first, then try some tutorials. I don't really use for graphics but since my other passion is photography so I use photoshop mainly to post process my photos, and I've got a Digital SLR (Rebel XTi), Camera Raw (which is a built-in tool) is really handy with raw files. Other then post processing I did some (crappy) web graphics (including the yucky smiley that's my avatar) and some wallpapers.

Post November 1st, 2007, 3:46 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
nej - if you are working with RAW - get your hands on Adobe Lightroom. It basically has rendered PS useless to me unless I want to severly alter my photos. Plus I just started shooting in RAW (got a bigger card - from 1gb up to 4) so now Im enjoying the ability to change all those color/white balance settings afterwards without losing detail. It rules.

And yes, Ill vouch that PS is far too advanced for almost everyone. Ive been at it for almost 8 years and each year that newer version comes out - makes you learn even more that you didnt know before and adds to the growing number of features that youll never use.

Post November 1st, 2007, 7:13 am

Points on hand: 77.00 Points
@Iron Man: I did use many filters and techniques on that image.

- smudge, c4d, filters, brush, gradients, etc.
Original:

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c23/soliqui/Design/original/601-PUNMAX042COV_col.jpg

Some more smaller sigs:

Post November 1st, 2007, 7:24 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

These are some of the assignments I have had to do in my Image Manipulataion class this quarter. I love Photoshop, if anything it is way easier to use than Adobe Illustrator. I've been using it since 1999; there's lots to learn and I am still learning. I also make all of my own images for the coasters I've posted as well as my signature.

Post November 1st, 2007, 10:07 am

Originally posted by Real

nej - if you are working with RAW - get your hands on Adobe Lightroom. It basically has rendered PS useless to me unless I want to severly alter my photos. Plus I just started shooting in RAW (got a bigger card - from 1gb up to 4) so now Im enjoying the ability to change all those color/white balance settings afterwards without losing detail. It rules.

Yeah I tried to use Lightroom but I'm used to PS interface, still I'm slowly migrating to lightroom which seems way easier.
And Real, what camera and lenses do you own?

Post November 2nd, 2007, 2:43 am

Princess, that first picture is quite... interesting. hah
The last one though, I really like. Asthetically pleasing and pretty artsy. One thing that I thik would be really cool would be to create rays of light coming out of the clouds. You might know how to do this, but if you don't and would like a short tutorial, I can show you.
Thanks for the contributions guys.

Post November 3rd, 2007, 2:45 am

Points on hand: 2,685.00 Points

Originally posted by Iron Man

Princess, that first picture is quite... interesting. hah
The last one though, I really like. Asthetically pleasing and pretty artsy. One thing that I thik would be really cool would be to create rays of light coming out of the clouds. You might know how to do this, but if you don't and would like a short tutorial, I can show you.
Thanks for the contributions guys.

Yeah, lol, it is pretty weird. We had to describe ourselves using only images so I went with things I like and my hometown which is Chicago. I can add rays of light, that's pretty easy to do. Thanks for the compliment![:)]

Post November 3rd, 2007, 3:58 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by nej77
Yeah I tried to use Lightroom but I'm used to PS interface, still I'm slowly migrating to lightroom which seems way easier.
And Real, what camera and lenses do you own?

Yea, I was very used to PS but I migrated quickly. The tools were too awesomely laid out.

Camera - Original Canon Digital Rebel 6.2mp
Lens: Stock lens and a standard Canon 70-300.

The telephoto blows at full zoom - focus isnt so hot. I am looking to move to the 40D around the end of next year and getting the OIS 75-300 lens which is superb compared to the one I have. Ive tried both lens and camera and the glass and optics in both the stock lens and telephoto are awesome. Plus, Im getting more into action photography and the 6.5fps with up to 75 continuous pictures is freakin sweet. Plus its 12mp and a host of other features Id love to have over my 4-5 year old Canon DRebel. But it still gets the job done.

Post November 3rd, 2007, 8:07 am

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

http://dodonpa.deviantart.com/gallery/

check out my Deviantart - theres a couple of photoshop pictures on there based on Gilbert and George work from my last Art exam prep work [:)] I love photoshop, but i have a really old version which is rather annoying.

Post November 3rd, 2007, 9:34 am

Points on hand: 1,435.00 Points

w00t! Fellow DA friends!

Slash, I used to use Photoshop a lot because i did TONS of fashion portraits with my Canon EOS 5D, but, I got interested in medium format and 35mm film cameras instead once I started to get daily access to a dark room. So I sold it on eBay.

Post November 3rd, 2007, 3:54 pm

Originally posted by Real
Camera - Original Canon Digital Rebel 6.2mp
Lens: Stock lens and a standard Canon 70-300.

The telephoto blows at full zoom - focus isnt so hot. I am looking to move to the 40D around the end of next year and getting the OIS 75-300 lens which is superb compared to the one I have. Ive tried both lens and camera and the glass and optics in both the stock lens and telephoto are awesome. Plus, Im getting more into action photography and the 6.5fps with up to 75 continuous pictures is freakin sweet. Plus its 12mp and a host of other features Id love to have over my 4-5 year old Canon DRebel. But it still gets the job done.

Actually the 40D's sensor is "only" 10Mpx. I'm gonna buy it too, I do a lot of concert photos and for that the 400D (Rebel XTi in US) produces to much noise. So what I want to do is to use a 40D with a transtandard zoom with a max aperture of 2.8 to have a max of luminosity. I already own a 50mm f/1.8 but with a medium format like the 400D or 40D that's too long, but it's really good for portrait and it's really cheap [^]

Slash, I used to use Photoshop a lot because i did TONS of fashion portraits with my Canon EOS 5D, but, I got interested in medium format and 35mm film cameras instead once I started to get daily access to a dark room. So I sold it on eBay.

5D! my dream... I'd love to own a full frame dslr, but damn that's really too expensive[:(]

Post November 3rd, 2007, 4:38 pm

I technically only owned the body which I got for $900 (later sold for $2200) while I borrowed lenses from my teacher who had bought the full on 5D for more than double the body price.

And I think it's possible to find 5D's for under $2000. And there's one for under $1000 here in the US.

Post November 3rd, 2007, 5:02 pm

Well here in Europe, the average price for a 5D (body only) is 2300/2400?????????! but for the 20th EOS Anniversary there is a 200????????? Cashback!

However it's possible to find it under 2000????????? on Ebay but I'd prefer to have a brand new body rather than a used one.

Post November 3rd, 2007, 5:20 pm

If you have any compatible lens (seriously, any), you should just buy the body. The camera itself doesn't require the best lens to get the top quality it claims.

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion