Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Gravity Group Builds Trains

Gravity Group Builds Trains

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post November 20th, 2008, 4:07 pm

Points on hand: 7,125.00 Points

The Gravity Group has started to advertise their own roller coaster trains. Check them out below.

Post November 20th, 2008, 4:29 pm

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
ill buy one, cheap right?
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post November 20th, 2008, 4:32 pm

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

It's not written here, but I read somwhere that they're capable of launching!

Post November 20th, 2008, 4:36 pm

Yeah, I read the too, I don't know if I like the idea though.

Here's the list of capabilities: http://www.thegravitygroup.com./news_recent.html

Gravity Group Engineers Unveil Next-Generation Wood Coaster Train
Cincinnati, Ohio ?????????- The engineers at The Gravity Group started with a blank sheet of paper and ended up with the next generation of trains for wooden roller coasters.

?????????Timberliners incorporate new technology - such as magnetic braking and restraint monitoring - that wasn't even imagined when wooden coaster cars were first developed,????????? says Michael Graham, lead engineer for the project. ?????????When it comes to wooden coasters, The Gravity Group has more experience designing rides than anyone. We?????????ve applied that expertise in designing trains that addresses every facet of roller coaster performance and function - from maintenance and safety to rider enjoyment and capacity.?????????

Timberliners are designed to be compatible with existing wooden coasters, allowing a park to upgrade their roller coasters with Timberliner trains.

Key features of the trains include:
????????? Single-bench design
????????? Shock absorption and ergonomic styling
????????? Unparalleled ability to smoothly navigate the track for decreased train & track maintenance
????????? Innovative restraint system for unsurpassed safety and security
????????? Restraints designed for higher throughput
????????? ASTM F2291 Class 5 restraint with integrated monitoring
????????? On-board sound system capable
????????? Magnetic braking capable
????????? Launch system capable

Post November 20th, 2008, 5:48 pm

Points on hand: 3,123.00 Points
Pretty odd/cool looking trains from the small image. It says it has a unique restraint system; I'd like to see that... along with the full trains themselves.

Post November 20th, 2008, 7:17 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
Those trains are old style and open too. We can only hope they're not as bad as Premier or B&M's foray into wooden coaster trains.

Post November 20th, 2008, 7:25 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

didn't b&m only build 1 set of wooden trains?

anyway, is there a bigger and more thorough pic of the new trains because they sound cool.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:03 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

Yeah b&m did the trains on cyclone and look where that ended up.

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:20 pm

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Post November 20th, 2008, 8:43 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Originally posted by CoastaGuy

Launched Intamin pre-fab anyone?
NO!!!! i doubt if gg would let intamin use their reputation to try to legitimize what they've done. this looks promising it's been a dream of mine to see all the morgan trains on classic rides be replaced by single seaters and have the morgan trains crushed while enthusiasts cheer! ( i know.. that will never happen ,, but it's a nice dream ) !

Post November 20th, 2008, 9:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
I'm very curious to see how these ride. My favorite wood (Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz) rides pretty good even with Morgans, I wonder how it'd feel with these.

Do you think they'll bring them to a park and let them try it out before a sale? Seems unlikely but it'll probably be a hard sell for older parks without a trial.
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post November 20th, 2008, 9:27 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

^ i DO have to agree with you, however they are obviously 4 seaters instead of 2, which makes them longer .. my logic is that a single bench train ought to be able to enhance the ride experience and aesthetics immensely..

Post November 20th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Originally posted by CoastaGuy

Launched Intamin pre-fab anyone?

I don't think wooden coasters should go there. But I'm sure they will :\

Post November 20th, 2008, 11:04 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

^Im sure thats what people said about the woodie with a loop... Think its no more.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post November 21st, 2008, 7:32 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Lol! I was thinking up a launched woody on the flight back home and looks what plans I see now. [lol]

I wonder how the real trains are going to look like. Since I'm pretty curious about the "Innovative" restraint system. Also cool to hear that they are able for a launch. But it doesn't really sound new to me. Since the GCI trains use magnetic Brakes and when you think about it you can turn the process around and make it a launch. Right?
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post November 21st, 2008, 8:22 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Only if the trains are capable of those acceleration forces. But theoretically I believe you are right.

Post November 21st, 2008, 11:58 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
They might have to change the track a little to handle acceleration forces. Like using metal for the launch segment or something, then switching to the wood after the launch.
Either way, Im excited for more news :)

Post November 23rd, 2008, 5:11 am

Points on hand: 829.00 Points

I hope the launch isn't 2g's or something unless they add head rests [:P]

Post November 23rd, 2008, 12:38 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post November 25th, 2008, 6:45 pm

Points on hand: 3,805.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
get it wrong and you'll get a domino row of head knocking with the people at the back getting thoroughly screwed over, sounds like awesomeness in wood/metal form

Post November 26th, 2008, 1:22 am

Points on hand: 1,177.00 Points
so retro(right word?) looks interesting at the least, i'd like to see wat it looks like up close though
Angry blue gumballs are attacking! RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

Post December 4th, 2008, 12:09 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Sounds cool, but I think some of the features are going to far. If they make the coasters too smooth, then they won't feel like wooden coasters anymore. Also, a launch system for a wooden coaster just sounds wierd(well, it might be cool if they make it like Powder Keg). I like the restraint system on the PTC cars, because they aren't right on your lap, so you get more airtime.

Post December 7th, 2008, 9:37 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
I think this is something they should handle like Son of Beast...try it out...if it doesn't work adjust it the next time or modify it so it does work...and go from there.

Post April 15th, 2009, 4:24 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

They ran a test set on Raven today.

They look like they track pretty smoothly, but the jackhammer sounds they make in the turns is kind of concerning.

Post April 15th, 2009, 4:35 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Those are some odd trains, and odd sounding ones too.

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!