Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Great Adventure Makes 2006 Announcement

Great Adventure Makes 2006 Announcement

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 21st, 2005, 2:25 pm

Points on hand: 7,382.00 Points
MEDIA ALERT - September 21, 2005

SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE WILL ANNOUNCE MONSTROUS WOODEN ROLLER COASTER

AND NEW KIDS' AREA FOR 2006

When:
Release date - Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2005

What:
Six Flags Great Adventure, the World's largest regional theme park,
will soon announce the details of its dramatic 2006 expansion plans.

The announcement will include an enormous, record-breaking wooden
roller coaster -- the park's first new wooden coaster since 1978. One
of two newly-themed areas - the park's third section devoted to
children - will focus solely on families with exciting pint-sized
adventures for the littlest thrill seekers

Any one still think SF Magic Mountain is still the flagship park? I'm heading to NJ next year for sure.[:D]
Last edited by pdonahue on September 21st, 2005, 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post September 21st, 2005, 2:31 pm

Points on hand: 99.00 Points
I'm can't wait to see what they mean with 'the record' :D a diveloop on a woodie :P

Post September 21st, 2005, 2:57 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

Post September 21st, 2005, 3:00 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
a dive loop on a woodie........rough........gotta love it!

they mean records in height and speed btw,

and to bad this is going to be a kids area, now all the rc-fan's are being runover by hords of kids

Post September 21st, 2005, 8:05 pm

Points on hand: 4,391.00 Points
OMG, they are probably going to break the record for tallest wooden coaster in the Northeastern United States!

Post September 21st, 2005, 8:12 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

it better be an intamin, its the only company that can build for a company that neglects them so much.

Post September 21st, 2005, 8:35 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Watch it be a wooden Millenium Force [lol]. Heck, maybe a wooden Kingda Ka, then we couldn't say they cloned it.

Post September 21st, 2005, 10:16 pm

Points on hand: 200.00 Points

The new coaster will probley be the fastst and the tallst wooden coaster on the earth or the east coast I think that it is going to be a good wooden coaster I hope that it is smoth and not real rougth I will have to go to six flags great adventure next year to ride this coaster it looks like it is going to be a big coaster. I heed that it is been made by the comany that buit the coluss wooden coster in erope so I hope that it is a good coaster. I hope that it has mulum flyer trains on it becuse those tipe of cars are comtalbe and you don'nt get banged around alot I will be we watching the six flags great adventure website to see what the coaster will look like and what the name of the coaster is.

Post September 21st, 2005, 10:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,146.00 Points

Cool! A record breaking wooden coaster. I can't wait!

Post September 21st, 2005, 10:21 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

heed that it is been made by the comany that buit the coluss wooden coster in erope so I hope that it is a good coaster.

If thats the case, then it shall be an Intamin woody. Which is good in that it doesn't require the ammount of attention any other wooden coaster require, but it usually doesn't have very many lats, but it makes up for that with air time.

Post September 21st, 2005, 10:21 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
It'll probably have the new steepest wooden coaster drop and probably also a really high speed helix or something of that type. The supports for a woodie as tall as MF would be extremely massive and way less cost effective then just having steel supports. So, if it was 300 ft tall, I would expect it to have box supports similar to those on Arrow and Morgan Hypers. Just my thoughts on this.

Post September 21st, 2005, 10:26 pm
Brtnboarder495 Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,362.00 Points

Post September 21st, 2005, 10:36 pm

Even if it is longer than The Beast, it still won't have the thrill of racing through the woods.

Post September 22nd, 2005, 12:00 am

Points on hand: 5,408.00 Points
Wow, a new woodie coaster for SFGam, i am surprised, really these days no-one gets a new woodie, its always just Steel, also longer than the beast, maybe, but it could also feature a loop or two, well i dont know for sure, but we will all know sept 28![approve][approve]

Post September 22nd, 2005, 12:14 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I somehow doubt it will beat the pure airtime of The Voyage or the scenery of the Voyage or the laterals of the Voyage...

But it probably will have the steepest drop in the world and possibly tallest but Im not sure on that. It would need to be a 210+ wooden coaster and by then it loses that wooden feel. They are already engineered exactly like steel coasters so to do something of that magnitude would just feel exactly like another SROS but with wooden supports. The trains are exactly the same with different shells and they use different wheels. But the engineering is all the same as steel.

Ill take my Voyage but if Im ever in the Jersey area in the next 2 years I know where Ill be headed.

Post September 22nd, 2005, 1:47 am

Points on hand: 3,564.00 Points
Real is this back to the old argument that Intamin woodies are not true woodies.

Post September 22nd, 2005, 1:56 am

If people want a really good wooden coaster, just clone Traver. He could build you the most popular ride with coaster enthusiasts anywhere.[approve]

And if you haven't already figured it out, I'm joking. This is for those who take everything litterally.

Post September 22nd, 2005, 10:47 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
OMG, now since the record for the highest steel coaster they are now going after the highest woodie! Come on six flags, GROW UP!

Post September 22nd, 2005, 12:12 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by owen jay

Real is this back to the old argument that Intamin woodies are not true woodies.

who cares?

a coaster is a coaster,
i happy with every coaster thats >20m and with a speed of >50 kmh, rather it's a record-breaking-hyper-with-wooden-supports or an not-smooth-airtime-and-lateral-forest-runner...

Post September 22nd, 2005, 1:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,283.00 Points

I agree with hyyyper to a certain extent although i also think in my head

"What is the point in building a woody so it is basically a steel coaster? Woodies are different, they are supposed to be a different experience. They give a different feel. What is the point in making what should then be a steel coaster out of wood? Its pretty stupid."

But then i also think

"Who cares what its made out of, and how it should feel. Its a new coaster aint it, a new record breaker aswell, what can we expect?"

Hmm i dont know what to think. I wish it was a gravity group woody, i am eager to see more work from them, Hades is already regarded as a great coaster, and the Voyage looks like it could very well have the potential to be the greatest wooden coaster design ever made. Now that is a bold statement, but i feel it is true. In all my life, which isnt exactly vvery long, i have never seen a company be so ambitious and original in their first few designs like the GG are. It is really promising.

Post September 22nd, 2005, 1:50 pm
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Originally posted by jpecool

"What is the point in building a woody so it is basically a steel coaster? Woodies are different, they are supposed to be a different experience. They give a different feel. What is the point in making what should then be a steel coaster out of wood? Its pretty stupid."

maybe intamin's outta steel?

Post September 22nd, 2005, 2:23 pm

Points on hand: 7,382.00 Points
I saw the plans about 2 months ago for the 06' woodie and I know that the enthusiasts as well as the general public will love it. I actually never saw the height and speed specs, but the 1 line show a lot more variety than the other Intamins. Be patient and the announcement will surprise a lot of you. The Voyage is not the only incredible new woodie in 06'.

I posted this in my GADV trip report a while back, but I don't know how to link to it as it is pretty old (ywo or three months)

Post September 22nd, 2005, 2:27 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
i hope this ride really won't be like the wild wild west in Warner bros madrid... That ride really had zero lats and zero air... [:(] Ok, i must admit, 1 Floater it had...

Post September 22nd, 2005, 2:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,593.00 Points
Here we go, all has come in what ive been waiting for, some competition for 'Voyage'. Looks like we will be seeing a killer coaster here [:)][:)][:)]

[8D]ECG[8D]

Post September 22nd, 2005, 4:02 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions