Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Great Adventure Makes 2006 Announcement

Great Adventure Makes 2006 Announcement

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 22nd, 2005, 6:09 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Originally posted by owen jay

Real is this back to the old argument that Intamin woodies are not true woodies.

Cant be an argument unless someone argues with me ;) The way I see it, they are more like steel than they are wood. The only thing that makes them like a wooden coaster is its made of wood and it usually follows a pattern of hills and turns.

However, there is another thing that I look at and its in the construction. From just about the dawn of time almost all wooden coasters rails are created from 8-layers of wood. Not even the Intamin woodies have that. So if ya want to get really techincal :P

However, Im sure most people will assume Ill hate it and thats why Im saying this stuff which is a bunch of crap and nothing but assumptions. Frankly, I get bored now with rides like MF because Im used to going fast and height has no effect on me.

If it follows suit of normal Plug-n-Play woodies though it definatly wont be a top 5 for me since my top 5 is packed with laterals and airtime. I highly doubt it will have laterals unless they change the trains since it will probably use similar trains to Collosus and Balder which are modified Mega-Coaster Trains. Those would NOT be good for laterals since theres nothing on your sides as they are open side seating.

Im not against this "new age" wooden coaster stuff. It will draw people to wooden coasters in general which in turn should help business for GCI and GG since their rides are already VERY smooth for real wooden coasters anyways. GCI has incredible tracking techniques and GG came up with a new way to lay the track down which provides a smoother and longer lasting track. So in theory it helps everyone out but I dont think theres any way to argue that its not more like a steel than a wooden coaster in all aspects that make each unique.

I like to think of it as its own type of coaster apart from steel or wood. Its really in its own little realm.

But, Im a lateral fan. Is there a problem with that?

Post September 22nd, 2005, 6:47 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I'm too lazy to quote JPE, but... For one thing, Wood is cheaper than steel, plus they get the title for "biggest woody" (although I actually carry that title if you know what I mean[;)])

Post September 22nd, 2005, 11:20 pm

Points on hand: 3,780.00 Points
^Coolbeans, you wish.

To Real: A few of the old woodies have very high tracks. One has 18 inches of wood.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 2:00 am

Points on hand: 3,564.00 Points
However, there is another thing that I look at and its in the construction. From just about the dawn of time almost all wooden coasters rails are created from 8-layers of wood. Not even the Intamin woodies have that. So if ya want to get really techincal :P

Just because that's the way it's been done in the past doesn't mean it's the way it has to be done, Intamin have designed a new way to build woodies that's called progression.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 9:18 am

Points on hand: 1,075.00 Points

ya, i must agree with ^

all steel rides would be matterhorn style track, so are all other steel rides NOT actualy steel rides becuase the track is not the same? Each company has different looking track, take B&M and Intamin; Spine with crossties or 2/3/4 railed track with cross bars, they are still steel. IMO steel and wood should only refer to what they are mostly made of, not how big the track rails are...

and personally, i woudn't mind a smooth wooden coaster with that excellent Intamin prefabricated track, but GhostRider (definately not an Intamin) would probably still rank as my favorite woodie...

Post September 23rd, 2005, 9:37 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

I disagree. I think designing a steel coaster and using wood to build it doesn't really make it a wooden coaster. I refuse to call Balder and Colossos wood coasters since they don't share one characteristic "real" wooden coasters do.

Steel and wood are meant to give 2 completely different rides.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 9:37 am

Xcelerator your definition is too broad. That means that the Voyage, made 95% of steel is a steel coaster and that Gemini, 95% made of wood is a wooden coaster yet the opposite is true for both. The ONLY thing that ever defines a coaster is by the rails that is rides on.

Also Xcel, you missed my point and tried to generalize. I was talking about Intamin and Intamin alone when then design. They go exclusively through Werner Stengel who designs all of his stuff nearly exactly the same. He uses the same formulas to get banking and G's on almost all of his newer tracks.

I did state that the new way they design is a form of progression - at the end of my post. I just said its like theyve created a new ride style. Its more like a steel coaster than a wood but then again, youd have to classify it as a wood coaster but it really deserves its own spot. Theres too much difference for it to be a real wooden coaster based on everything that makes a wooden coaster wooden.

So, to what I just said, what is wrong with that?

Post September 23rd, 2005, 10:52 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
i don't think you should define a coaster with it's rail, i think rather the trains and supports(structure), cos if you would build a coaster with woodie trains on a b&m hyper support structure...

Post September 23rd, 2005, 11:56 am

Points on hand: 3,564.00 Points
Ok if this coaster turns out to be a record breaker in some way shape or
form then lets see what the Guiness Book of records classify it as.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 4:56 pm

Originally posted by hyyyper

i don't think you should define a coaster with it's rail, i think rather the trains and supports(structure), cos if you would build a coaster with woodie trains on a b&m hyper support structure...

So Gemini is a wooden coaster and The Voyage is a steel coaster huh? Interesting...get back with me when you realize that thats a very inaccurate way to define a roller coaster.

You have no need to use the trains if you define it by the rails. The rails dictate the trains and thus, the style. Think about it.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 5:03 pm

Wooden coasters usually have smaller wheels than steel coasters. Wood wheels are also not coated in eurathane and are made out of metal. The upstop wheels are not located on the bottom of the rails on woodies. So yah, the track style does dictate the trains.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 5:11 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Real, is dead on with that. Cedar Creek Mine Ride also has wooden supports, but that and Gemini are most definently steel coasters. It's the track that the coasters ride on, not the trains or the supprots, that determine the type of coaster.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 5:23 pm

^Real is pretty much dead on with everything. The man knows his coasters.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 5:29 pm

Points on hand: 5,801.00 Points

Heres a thought...Why not just stop trying to argue about the Intamin Woodie debate....Make another thread just for that if you must debate about it [lol]

Anyways, about this new woodie. It sounds like SFGAdv has something neat up their sleaves, though the record breaking feature could be any number of things...One of the easiest being having the steepest drop of any woodie. It should be interesting to see what exactly this coaster will be like. And finally some more wood being installed at SFGAdv!

Post September 23rd, 2005, 5:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Originally posted by Woodie Man

Wooden coasters usually have smaller wheels than steel coasters. Wood wheels are also not coated in eurathane and are made out of metal. The upstop wheels are not located on the bottom of the rails on woodies. So yah, the track style does dictate the trains.

The upstop wheels on wooden coasters do go on the bottom of the rails, just like steel coasters. The structure is slightly different, but the wheel placement is excactly that of a steel coaster.

Post September 23rd, 2005, 5:47 pm

^What I meant was that there weren't tubular rails with wheels on the bottom of the tubes.

Previous

Return to General Theme Park Discussions