Board index Roller Coaster Games 3D Modeling Discussion GTA V Rollercoaster

GTA V Rollercoaster

Discuss anything related to 3D modeling from 3ds Max to Object Creator. Have a question? Get it answered here!

Post November 19th, 2013, 10:17 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I hope the nl2 graphics can be modded to look this photorealistic:

Post November 19th, 2013, 10:28 pm
SauronHimself User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 1,641.00 Points
If not, at least NL2 will be much more technically sound than that disaster. Whoever designed that coaster for GTA V should be shot. No chain, no heartlining, no banking, no brakes, and a ton of pumping.

Post November 19th, 2013, 10:45 pm

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
This abomination makes sketchy Chinese jet coasters using RCT as a blueprint and welded together by children seem like new age B&M smooth. Kinda reminds me of those death coasters I like to make from time to time.
I think the programmers were just too lazy to program proper roller coaster physics.

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:11 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I'm pretty sure the cars are designed just as badly if you know a damn about them.

It's just a game
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:20 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Yeah I don't think the programmers gave a hoot about the physics engine and proper banking for this roller coaster, guys.

Post November 19th, 2013, 11:55 pm

Points on hand: 1,343.00 Points
Bank: 826.00 Points
I give it 3/10. And yes. We are literally the only people who care about that roller coaster in the game. It would be interesting to recreate and do it right though.

Post November 20th, 2013, 7:59 am
TheArchitect User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 501,147.00 Points
Bank: 498,048.00 Points
Yeah, tbh, unless it's real footage or something professional, then roller coasters are incredibly... crap. Just look at episodes of Simpsons when they go to Krusty Land, or any movie containing roller coasters, even RCT's are shocking. Nobody cares except us, I watched my family and friends look at these fictional rides and say things like "that would be so cool" and I simply think "the laterals on that bend would've killed you". But hey, it's meant to be fun.

Post November 20th, 2013, 8:13 am

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
I have also noticed how roller coasters in cartoons/fiction often tend to ignore gravity. FD3's Devil's Flight seems unable to make up its mind whether or not it's gravity powered or something else. It looks much longer than a roller coaster should be for its height, yet the people still remaining on board were able to rock the train back and forth when it got stuck at the top of the loop.
I remember one episode of the Simpsons where Bart was riding a launch coaster called the Barrel Roll, and the lap bar went behind him and then the ride started. You'd think the operator would have checked. The ride op finally realized his error and pressed a button to make the cart stop at the top of a loop. There was also the Tooth Chipper which braked all the way down the drop, chipping riders' teeth on the front of the cars.
That all can be excused by rule of funny since this is a show where geographical inconsistencies are the norm.

Post December 4th, 2013, 12:20 am

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
NL2 may not enable next gen graphics, but you'll sure be able to hide all the lift/transports, leave your turns unbanked, and dramatize the physics in an incredibly cheesy way using hidden transport segments!

As far as accurate roller coaster depictions in pop culture goes, a lot of POV renderings of new rides aren't great either (although that's less so nowadays). Then there's the Youtube commenters who think the GTA V track was modeled after a real ride.

Considering the fact that most of the population don't see a roller coaster more than a handful of times in their lifetime, the ridiculously cheesy depictions of them that we're unfortunate enough to see actually make sense. I don't think it's fair either, considering the fact that a higher percentage of people complain about Mario Kart's lack of realism than they do for RCT's.

Post December 4th, 2013, 3:35 am

Points on hand: 3,826.90 Points

Post December 4th, 2013, 8:40 am

Points on hand: 2,232.00 Points
Originally posted by coasteragent99

Then there's the Youtube commenters who think the GTA V track was modeled after a real ride.

What? But it was: http://rcdb.com/434.htm#

--

Coasters in cartoon/video games are always bugging me. They can do buildings, cars and many other details very realistically, but when it comes to coasters... [xx(]

Post December 4th, 2013, 9:09 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Originally posted by coasteragent99

Then there's the Youtube commenters who think the GTA V track was modeled after a real ride.

You... realise that it was, right?

https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=34.0082 ... 118.497903

Post December 4th, 2013, 6:19 pm

Points on hand: 3,826.90 Points
no its not i saw the real vid 1 too many helix 2 they have a little banking at the end 3...................

Post December 4th, 2013, 6:34 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Post December 4th, 2013, 6:35 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Post December 5th, 2013, 2:48 am
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

I've never been on it, but I've been on that pier many times. I second Jay's observation.

Post December 5th, 2013, 3:39 am

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Sadly, how it rides in the game is not even close to how the real version rides. The actual version of "westcoaster" isn't nearly as fast and is banked more so the lateral g's are lower. Although, still better than the version from "Tony Hawk's American Wasteland."

"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Return to 3D Modeling Discussion