Board index Off Topic Board Off Topic Discussion Has your PS3 died yet?

Has your PS3 died yet?

Here, anything goes. Talk about anything that you would like to talk about!

Post November 16th, 2007, 2:37 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

Mine has [V]

After installing update version 2.0 on my PS3, it now fails to even read the disc when inserted. I thought that the disc drive had just shagged itself in the arsehole and given up the ghost but...

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... ?id=175645

...clearly it had more to do with the update being installed than I thought.

I tried to take it back to GameStation and they offered me a pre-owned 40gb version.... what an insult! I bought the fully cocked, all guns blazin' 60gb version with the full whack ?????????450 price tag, and they offer me a frickin' pre-ownded 40gb version as a replacement!?!?! I refused of course.

This was of course before I learned that it was probably down to the update, as a result, sony will now be receiving a strongly worded NUCLEAR WARHEAD! [lol]

anyone else encountered any problems?
anyone else installed update 2.0?
anyone else even got a PS3? I mean I know I'm in a rare breed of idiots, by owning one.
Last edited by gouldy on November 16th, 2007, 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post November 16th, 2007, 4:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,960.00 Points

Hmm im going to get the PS3 for my bro n I come his birthday in Feb, no point before that, GTA 4 isn't out then XD
Rarwh

Post November 16th, 2007, 5:23 pm
rcmaniac25 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 7,270.00 Points

I have one, updated to 2.0 and it still works. I don't know what exactly you should do. You tried bringing it to GameStation and that didn't work, so my best guess is to call Sony and see if they have a way to fix it.

Post November 16th, 2007, 6:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,051.00 Points
Mine works just fine after updating to 2.0 I would send it back big time. Is it still under warranty? You are the first one that I have heard of, that there ps3 died on em. They are pretty reliable to say the least.

Post November 16th, 2007, 7:28 pm

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Ours updated and still works fine too. I would send an email to Sony and send it in for a replacement.

Post November 16th, 2007, 7:43 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

^^yeah I haven't seen anyone whose died either.

the only thing I've seen is that Assassin's Creed froze once, but that can't be the system's fault.

Post November 16th, 2007, 10:38 pm

Points on hand: 4,530.00 Points
yeah, i know 360's are dying left and right, but i haven't heard of a PS3 die till now.

Post November 17th, 2007, 2:46 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Really? I work at BB and Ive seen more PS3's go in for repair than 360's. So...not sure where all the "360's fail all the time" thing comes in. Plus, MS takes care of all of the failures. They even extended the warranties to 3 years (which is crazy) and in some cases they replace your old system with a better one.

IE my friend sent in an older Premium System, got back the new one that has the HDMI upgrade.
Plus theres a new chip coming out in the 360's that is a 65nm instead of 90nm. Runs much cooler and much more stable. Plus its cheaper and more efficient to make so it eventually makes MS more money and allows for a cheaper prices in the end.

Its supposed to directly address the RROD and the overheating issues. Seeing as the chip itself it a 3rd smaller and runs cooler it also runs faster as a result.

I just find it weird because there was this aura that the PS3's never fail but everytime Im in our warehouse at my Best Buy theres almost a 2 to 1 ratio of PS3's to 360's that are goin back for repair.

Post November 17th, 2007, 7:55 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Well actually, I already had part of my 360 replaced, so I'd have to say they're both as bad as each other to be honest! The wii is the only one still sitting there, the same as it was the day it was bought. So there we have it, the wii's are the most reliable! [lol]

Post November 17th, 2007, 11:06 am

Points on hand: 1,051.00 Points
lol, well I have all three systems and got them all on launch day. My 360 has failed three times, so on the third time I sent it in they gave me a brand new one. My PS3 has never failed at all whatsoever. I've never had a freeze up a disc read error, no problems at all. My wii has froze up about two times since I've had them, but other than that most of my problems have came from the 360.

Post November 17th, 2007, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Originally posted by gouldy

Well actually, I already had part of my 360 replaced, so I'd have to say they're both as bad as each other to be honest! The wii is the only one still sitting there, the same as it was the day it was bought. So there we have it, the wii's are the most reliable! [lol]

You can drag a Gamecube behind your truck on the ground, smash it with a hammer and drop it from high places and it will still work. Thanks, X-Play!

Post November 17th, 2007, 4:20 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Nintendo FTW.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post November 17th, 2007, 8:52 pm
coolbeans326 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 6,184.00 Points

Really? I work at BB and Ive seen more PS3's go in for repair than 360's. So...not sure where all the "360's fail all the time" thing comes in. Plus, MS takes care of all of the failures. They even extended the warranties to 3 years (which is crazy) and in some cases they replace your old system with a better one.

Yea, I can't say I was upset when my xbox had to be shipped back. I grew a little impatient as I was missing out on Halo 3's launch, but it worked out. They sent me a brand new xbox (I suppose it was easier then replacing the dvd drive) and 1 month free of xbox live, I suppose to replace the month I had essentially lost, and everything has worked fine since... although I got one of those corrupted Halo game discs that won't let you play specific levels on either Heroic or Legendary.

But yea...

Post November 18th, 2007, 5:06 pm

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

hmm, wasn't there something where a bunch of the halo3 discs got really scratched up too?

Post November 18th, 2007, 5:29 pm
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

I beat the living shiz out of my PS2 and I had never had any problems with it at all! I punched that thing so hard sometimes, that there was a massive hole in the wall behind it when we came to redecorate, just because of it flying back into the wall repeatedly [lol]

They don't build'em like they used to!

Post November 18th, 2007, 8:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,400.00 Points

Originally posted by tiepilot35

Nintendo FTW.

Quite so.

Return to Off Topic Discussion