Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Holiday World, longest water coaster.... AGAIN!

Holiday World, longest water coaster.... AGAIN!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
http://www.indystar.com/article/2011080 ... iday-World

Holiday World officials announced today the largest single-ride investment in the park??????s history ?????? a water coaster that will be the world??????s longest when it opens in May.

The ride ??????called Mammoth ?????? comes at a price of $9 million for the Santa Claus, Ind., park, which celebrates its 65th birthday today with the announcement of the ride.

The ride will span 1,753 feet and cover three acres in Splashin?????? Safari, bringing the water park??????s size to 30 acres. It will stand at a height of 69 feet from lowest to highest drop and feature six drops ?????? including a first drop of 53 feet at a 45-degree angle.

Mammoth will include 10 six-passenger boats with individual seatbacks, meaning passengers could face forwards, backwards or sideways. Its speed and ride time will be determined during testing next spring.

It will begin with a conveyor ride up the coaster??????s lift hill before the first, five-story drop and continue into additional hills, dark, enclosed sections and twists and turns.

The ride??????s addition is the latest of yearly expansions in the last decade at Holiday World, which has drawn more than a million visitors each year for the last five years. Holiday World will now be home to the first and second longest water coasters in the world. Wildebeest, opened last year, will fall to the No. 2 position with Mammoth??????s introduction.

??????We added Wildebeest water coaster last year and it was a runaway hit,?????? Holiday World president Dan Koch said in a release. ??????So we asked our designers for something even bigger.??????
American Eagle Lover

Post August 3rd, 2011, 2:13 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points

Post August 3rd, 2011, 2:35 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Lol... it does look cool but it's kinda tacky with Wildebeest right there. The color styles they go with are really bad.

Nonetheless I would love to ride it. Next summer actually looks like my best bet to get down there for the first time too!

Post August 3rd, 2011, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Looks awesome! I just don't understand the need to build another one right after Wildebeest. Give it a few years and draw even more people back. At any rate looks amazing.

Post August 3rd, 2011, 11:15 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
Maybe because while is another water coaster this one has a ton more capacity and offers a unique ride experience? Wildebeest is the Voyage of water coasters. Mammouth is more like Legend. All around ride with a mixture of elements. Plus being able to rotate around or go backwards - going to be epic.

Lets face it. These rides draw crowds. They will continue to pack this park out and make a name for themselves each year. Waterparks make tons of profit.

Gerstl - the colors will look fantastic. If you notice, this ride has the same color scheme as the flags at the tops of the hills of the coasters. Wildebeest though as a more focused scheme. Itll all look gorgeous when its built.

Post August 3rd, 2011, 11:46 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I suppose everything looks a lot better in real life, I just thought the tri-color scheme they did for both of them was random, but apparently not.. I'll have to get a gander at these bad boys some day soon hopefully.

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!