Board index Roller Coaster Games 3D Modeling Discussion How do I measure from NL2 To Sketchup?

How do I measure from NL2 To Sketchup?

Discuss anything related to 3D modeling from 3ds Max to Object Creator. Have a question? Get it answered here!

Post February 16th, 2014, 7:46 pm

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
In a recent post I made I asked how to make 3ds for Track in NL2. Someone replied saying I had to measure out the track and this and that.. Now Is it possible that someone can personally teach me how to do this? Since I want to do a indoor coaster soon.. Or even better, is there a way to export the NL2 Track as a 3ds, then open it up in Google sketchup so I can model around it in the Program itself?

Post February 16th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Points on hand: 374.00 Points
Never used Sketchup so it may not be this easy, but why can't you just...

Go into Sketchup, make a box 1 Unit long in one direction, any size in the others.
Import it into NL2
Make a track segment that is exactly the length of the 1 Unit side of your object.
Check the length of the track in Coaster->Coaster Properties->Statistics.

Your scale is 1 unit = X feet where X = length of track.

If 1 unit is too small in NL2 to work with make it 10/100/1000 Units so you can work with it. Just divide Feet by how many Units you used to get feet per Unit.

Post February 16th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
Thanks, but thats not what I mean. What I mean is, say you have a dark ride section of your ride, I'd need a way to make it so I can measure or find out the dimensions around the track so I can recreate it in sketchup that way I can make the rooms without worry that it wont fit the actual ride.

Post February 16th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Points on hand: 374.00 Points
That's even easier. The grid lines in the editor are in feet, and you can control how big the grid is. Set the grid to whatever size you want, and see how many squares your track occupies. # of squares * size of square = length of that side of dark area. The big white squares are 10 of the smaller grid squares. The smaller squares are the ones you set the size for. 15 small grid squares with the grid set to 10 feet = 150 feet. 1 big grid square with size set to 10 feet = 10 smaller squares = 100 feet

Post February 17th, 2014, 1:48 am

Points on hand: 3,816.00 Points

You can also see distance from the origin when you move your mouse cursor around. If you look at the measurement (X or Z position) at 1 point you'll see a measurement. Make note of that. From here, move your mouse to the other desired location and get the measurement from that. With some simple math, you should be able to figure out the distance between both points...Say that we're measuring the X-axis - location 1 was at -22ft. Location 2 at 40ft. Overall distance between those 2 spots would be 62ft. Measuring height, just like measuring the height of your track when you're laying one out.

This technique worked for me when making show buildings for my rides as I knew to make a 100x80x80 building to cover the first part of my ride.
Thrills by the Bay - Your #1 News Source for Bay Area Parks!
http://thrillsbythebay.blogspot.com

Return to 3D Modeling Discussion