Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions i am ssssssssoooooooooo mad!!!!!!! at cedar point

i am ssssssssoooooooooo mad!!!!!!! at cedar point

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Points on hand: 1,434.00 Points

look at wat cedar point posted and i just got back!!!!![:(!][:(!][:(!][:(!]

06/19/03

Dear Valued Guest,
Cedar Point?????????s newest roller coaster, Top Thrill Dragster, is scheduled to be in operation today.

As I can attest from personal experience, Top Thrill Dragster is a ride experience like no other. I know you are looking forward to riding the world?????????s highest and fastest roller coaster.

With any new ride, especially a ride of this complexity, there is a break-in period. It is possible our guests will experience some intermittent down time on the ride as we work through these start-up problems.

If we know Top Thrill Dragster will be closed for an extended period, we will post this information on our website.

Please feel free to call our Information Line at 419-627-2350 for more updates.

Thank you for your interest in Top Thrill Dragster and Cedar Point. I hope to see you on the midway this summer.

Sincerely,
CEDAR POINT
Daniel Keller
Vice President and General Manager
Last edited by 38801xlr8 on June 19th, 2003, 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 20th, 2003, 12:55 am

Points on hand: 2,547.00 Points

Post June 20th, 2003, 12:58 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

He's mad because TTD was closed when he went. I would be disapponted too if that happened when I go.

Post June 20th, 2003, 3:07 am

Points on hand: 2,796.00 Points
im know i went there and i was going to go on it but it was closed again

As sad is it to say cedar point wont get the golden ticket award again cause alll the coasters are reallly going

Post June 20th, 2003, 3:44 am

Points on hand: 3,285.00 Points

Hello!
How can cedar points ttd have soo much downtime as it has just opened?
This rollercoaster should be in top knotch as it is brand new, but what are you going to do? Fix it yourself?
lol

Post June 20th, 2003, 6:07 am

Points on hand: 3,039.00 Points
Originally posted by Matt

Hello!
How can cedar points ttd have soo much downtime as it has just opened?
This rollercoaster should be in top knotch as it is brand new, but what are you going to do? Fix it yourself?
lol

Because it's just the first time a ride ever launches this fast they have some problems with the cable and launching mech. I don't know anything more of it, it also appears that had some problems with the coaches' theming because they were removing the wheels from it on a pic I saw.

Post June 20th, 2003, 6:33 am

Points on hand: 5,120.00 Points

Post June 20th, 2003, 11:17 pm

Points on hand: 4,273.00 Points

Despite all that has happened at Cedar Point, the park WILL get it's golden ticketInsert. I went to Cedar Point the day the cable snapped on TTD and 5 other times this may and june. (Oh, and TTD was working earlier that day but it broken down after I had my ride, really cool and insane ride.) All the rides were in working order with the exception of TTD. The coasters looked brighter than ever and each one of them were great while in the front seat. My Favorite ride in the park "MANTIS" has become a little rough on the corkscrew at the end of the rideInsert, but other than that, the MANTIS and all other rides were great. Ohh, and one more thing, all new rides have melfunctions because it's just the fact that they have just been built and need some time and test runs to get it going. Patience it the KEY and if anyone should be unpatience it should be me, considering I had to wait 3 hours just to ride TTD, but it was well worth the wait!!Insert

Post June 23rd, 2003, 9:34 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

Do you all really want to know why TTD has had so many mechanical problems? The real reason is because Cedar Point had an especially harsh winter while construction was taking place, and they didn't even get to begin doing test runs until about 2 weeks before the park opened to the general public. Most new coasters have several months of testing prior to opening, but TTD had to be delayed a bit. Also, because of the unique launching system. TTD holds 12 patents, and whenever you are introducing new technologies, there are bound to be a few kinks. There was a similar problem in 2000 when Millennium Force opened, and again in 2002 with Wicked Twister. Just give TTD a year or 2, and it will be running like a gem in no time at all. Just be patient.

Post June 30th, 2003, 11:29 pm

Points on hand: 2,372.00 Points
The ride was open for three whole days so in other words,things were looking good,so me and my family took the 6 hour trip up to cedar point and it was closed the whole week!I really wasn't that mad because i rode it alot earlier in the year but it would of been better if it was open.

Post July 1st, 2003, 9:59 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

this just in... Cedar Point has considered closing TTD for the rest of the year so that they can repair it and have it up and running smoothly by next season. If anyone wants to go to The Point just to ride TTD, I would reccomend waiting until next year.

Post July 1st, 2003, 11:20 pm

Points on hand: 2,372.00 Points

Post July 2nd, 2003, 12:13 am

Points on hand: 2,839.00 Points
this remind me when sfmm was buildin x, they built it too quick and there were problems, it took sfmm like 6 months ti fix it. i dont think it will take as long to fix ttd cause it looks like a fun ride to ride

Post July 2nd, 2003, 7:25 am

Originally posted by cjd

Do you all really want to know why TTD has had so many mechanical problems? The real reason is because Cedar Point had an especially harsh winter while construction was taking place, and they didn't even get to begin doing test runs until about 2 weeks before the park opened to the general public. Most new coasters have several months of testing prior to opening, but TTD had to be delayed a bit. Also, because of the unique launching system. TTD holds 12 patents, and whenever you are introducing new technologies, there are bound to be a few kinks. There was a similar problem in 2000 when Millennium Force opened, and again in 2002 with Wicked Twister. Just give TTD a year or 2, and it will be running like a gem in no time at all. Just be patient.

That's bullshit, they don't use several months to test in normal cases. Also Goliath here in SFH was tested for just one or 2 weeks. They never test for 2 months or anything near that. The problems are indeed just caused by the complicated launching system. BTW, what's your source for CP saying that they'll close TTD for the season?

Post July 2nd, 2003, 4:18 pm

Points on hand: 2,947.00 Points
Six Flags St. Louis builds the rides 2 weeks before it opens then realizes that they haven't tested it and there were big time problems causing it to close for the season. (Mr. Freeze). Also, they test for about a week or 2 as GFA pointed out.

Post July 2nd, 2003, 4:31 pm

TTD (good)newsflash [pshades]

07/02/03

Dear Valued Guest,
I regret to inform you that Cedar Point?????????s newest roller coaster, Top Thrill Dragster, is not currently in operation because of mechanical problems.

The ride manufacturer and Cedar Point's maintenance division have been working around the clock to correct the problems, and we will have the ride back in operation as quickly as possible.

Based on the best estimate of the manufacturer, we hope to have Top Thrill Dragster back in operation for the July Fourth weekend. This is not a guarantee, but we are working very hard to make it a reality. Unfortunately, Top Thrill Dragster is not scheduled to open prior to the holiday weekend.

When Top Thrill Dragster is scheduled to be in operation, we will post this information on our website.

I understand that this situation is very frustrating for you, as it is for us. I apologize for any disappointment you may feel.

Until Top Thrill Dragster opens, I invite you to enjoy our 67 other rides, including 15 more world-class roller coasters, award-winning live entertainment and other attractions.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. I hope to see you on the midway this summer.

Sincerely,
CEDAR POINT
Daniel Keller
Vice President and General Manager

P.S. ????????? We are making you aware of this situation on our website because of the extended nature of the downtime, and the extreme interest in Top Thrill Dragster. For more updates on the park, we invite you to call our Information Line at 419-627-2350 daily from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.

Post August 4th, 2003, 5:58 pm

Points on hand: 2,167.00 Points
Hey guys, I worked at Cedar Point earlier this season. Top Thrill Dragster was closed due mainly to hydraulic overheats and wire snappings. In fact, the first ride ever, the wire snapped. However, I myself have been on the ride 76 times, and I can tell you it is an amazing ride. There were rumors of the ride being closed for the season, however they were false. Top Thrill Dragster has been running fine for about 2 weeks until last night when it was down for 4 hours. It was also down earlier this morning, but now it is back up.

Post August 4th, 2003, 7:19 pm

Points on hand: 2,968.00 Points
Something similar also happened at PKI when Son Of Beast opened. There were numerous problems and the ride rarely ran the first half of its first summer. The problems were so extensive that PKI actually sued the coaster builder and the provider of the lumber. They said the poor quality lumber was the reason for most of the problems. I dunno, I suspect it was just that no wooden coaster had ever been built even close to the height of SOB, and since it had not been done before, they ran into a lot of unforeseen problems. SOB is still a brutally intense ride to this day, which some people love and some hate. I think it's a good ride, but not up to its father's legacy.

Post August 4th, 2003, 7:27 pm

Yeah, I heard that story. I heard that it didn't make it over the first hill.

Post August 4th, 2003, 7:43 pm

Points on hand: 3,683.00 Points
I also heard that TTD's train got stuck at the top and they had to use the work train/trolley or whatever they use to get up there and help push it over the top. There were no riders on it just a test run. That's what I heard through the grape vine.[^]

Post August 4th, 2003, 8:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,167.00 Points
Hmm, I'm not sure about it getting stuck on the top (TTD). However, it does sometimes not make it over and fall backwards. Happened to me three times. Honestly, I think it's more fun! Because when it happens, the LIM's act as brakes and slow the train back down. It then returns to the launch position and you launch again. So it's like two rides for the wait time of one!

Post August 4th, 2003, 8:55 pm

Points on hand: 2,545.00 Points
Like jackfrahn said, I was at CP last week and didn't see it, but lots of other people at the park saw an (empty) train stuck at the top for a few minutes!

We did get to ride TTD twice and waited about 5 hours between the two times to do it. It was worth every second! I am dying to be on a rollback, have seen it happen once.

Post August 4th, 2003, 9:41 pm

Points on hand: 4,126.00 Points

I'm going to Cedar Point next year for the ACE meeting there. We've gotten our hotel all set and I hope that the 3 days that we are there, TTD will be running in at least ONE of those days.

P.S. How long of a wait did you guys have on it? (Not relating to this topic so you don't have to answer)

Post August 5th, 2003, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,545.00 Points
Originally posted by rcf2000
P.S. How long of a wait did you guys have on it? (Not relating to this topic so you don't have to answer)

[:D]I want to answer anyway...

We waited the first time for 3 hours...mostly 'cause it kept breaking. We were #2 in line for over an hour...did not get to ride until midnight, an hour after the park closed, but they kept TTD running. The ride attendant there said sometimes they stay until 2 or 3 am. The second time, a much shorter wait...about 1 1/2 hours for a front seat ride! (would have been *lots* shorter for any other seat.)

Even the 3 hours was worth every minute... [approve]

Post August 5th, 2003, 8:48 pm

yeah right, what a waste of time, I would rather go spend that 3 hours riding MF or the other better coasters there.

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions