Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Employment Is a Summer Theme Park Job worth it?

Is a Summer Theme Park Job worth it?

This category is for all theme park employees, past, present, and future.

Post October 28th, 2015, 11:09 am
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 32.00 Points
Bank: 4,860.00 Points

Post November 4th, 2015, 8:33 pm

Points on hand: 238.00 Points
If you plan on working in the theme park industry in the future, then yes, take a job at a theme park. I am currently 6 months into working as an RO at Knotts Berry Farm and I absolutely love it. You truly get to see a whole other side of the park what I never knew existed when I was just a guest. It is true, you do not get to pick what ride you want to work at. Well for us, you are put in a starter area (flat rides) and after a couple months, you can be cross trained up to a roller coaster. I was crosstrained to Ghostrider after 3 months (got to dispatch the last train before the renovation ;p) and now I am currently an RO for Montezooma's Revenge. It is really cool seeing how the coasters operate and how the entire park functions in general. You do meet a lot people and deal with a lot of guests, but at the end of the long and tiring day, you do have those genuine nice GP who came to just have fun, and you get to be a part of that. So all in all, yes I would 100% recommend getting a job at an amusement park.

Post November 5th, 2015, 5:31 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
^ I have to say welcome to this board and thanks for sharing such a fantastic experience in your first post. I always like to see how people become skilled ride operators!

:D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post November 5th, 2015, 12:29 pm
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Here is what I have to say about the RO at a different chain of theme parks
titanrocks01 wrote:
My favorite, but also worst one would be operating Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast at SFOT. Reason behind it being both is that the ride would know that I was going up to operate and it would shut down as I was getting situated behind the panel. The favorite part of it would be the fact that I have some of my best friends at the ride, as you really get to know each other. Another favorite memory is when I first got moved to Freeze from Batman, and needless to say that was a major change of style and personality of not only the crews, but also of the ride as Freeze's personality was far more complicated and complex than that of Batman's.

Post December 3rd, 2015, 8:38 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Just curious, since I decided I'm going to go ahead and apply for a job at a park for next season, would mentioning that I'm a coaster enthusiast or a big fan of theme parks in the application or the job interview be beneficial for me, or should I avoid that altogether?

Post December 3rd, 2015, 10:53 pm

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

Nah, I wouldn't on the application. Maybe in the interview bush by it but don't make a big deal about it.

(Coming from someone who interviewed a few people for CP)
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post December 3rd, 2015, 11:14 pm
Mr. Freeze User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^completely agree there. I haven't interviewed any future employees, just talent people, and don't make a big deal about it, cause it will make you seem like a big know it all, and then they might not hire you.

Post December 4th, 2015, 7:54 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
Just curious, since I decided I'm going to go ahead and apply for a job at a park for next season, would mentioning that I'm a coaster enthusiast or a big fan of theme parks in the application or the job interview be beneficial for me, or should I avoid that altogether?

Say you really like THE PARK. Enthusiasts are garbage employees sometimes (and prone to leaking secrets/intel).

Also if it asks if you enjoy children that's a trap to try and con you in the kiddie area, which has the worst vermin of all in it.......parents.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I have a job interview at Valleyfair coming up later this week. Anyone have any tips for a theme park job interview, especially if you've worked at a Cedar Fair park before?

True Addicts
True Addicts

Say you hate children in some eloquent way in whatever context they ask about them. Saying you're "great with kids" gets you stuck in a children hellhole land. CP had an online survey that prevented since I picked up on where they were going with it. I have no idea how Valleyfair does it.

Your interview is probably going to be something like:
"Tell me a time when you did something difficult"
------
What they want is:
"I did the thing without blaming other people for it and didn't get any felonies"
------
Some other BS to ensure you're not a serial killer and showing up on time to places regularly.
------
"Are you willing to pee in a cup and get a background check?"

Ta-daaa you're hired.

Don't be nervous about it. You don't need intelligence or people skills to be a ride op, you just need an attention span.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Amusement parks are probably the worst place to be at any given moment when you consider the people that visit them. Don't work at an amusement park.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

True Addicts
True Addicts

GerstlCrazy wrote:
Amusement parks are probably the worst place to be at any given moment when you consider the people that visit them. Don't work at an amusement park.

Maybe people always act poorly around you for a reason.

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
If by "poorly" you mean "profoundly uncoordinated, confused, and incapable" then yes there must be a reason everyone at amusement parks behaves that way.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I'm happy to announce that I've been offered a ride attendant position at Valleyfair, which I plan on accepting :). Don't know which ride I'll be working yet, but anyway, it should be fun getting to experience an amusement park from the perspective of an employee. Thanks to everyone who offered input!

True Addicts
True Addicts

I bet Steel Venom is the best ride to work there. Hope you get something cool like Wild Thing or the woodie!

^^ Congrats and I fully hope that your really good luck holds! :)

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I'm officially a part of the 2016 Wild Thing crew. Should make for a fun summer. :)

True Addicts
True Addicts

Ah congrats you dodge dealing with little children! Let us know what the stupid ride quirk is. They all have one.

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points

Make this happen!
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post June 1st, 2016, 10:24 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,208.00 Points
VF15 wrote:
I'm happy to announce that I've been offered a ride attendant position at Valleyfair, which I plan on accepting :). Don't know which ride I'll be working yet, but anyway, it should be fun getting to experience an amusement park from the perspective of an employee. Thanks to everyone who offered input!

congrats!

VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Ah congrats you dodge dealing with little children! Let us know what the stupid ride quirk is. They all have one.

Was told that I might have have to work some Planet Snoopy rides every once in a while, but thankfully I'll be at Wild Thing most of the time.
tiepilot35 wrote:

Make this happen!

I wish. :lol:

True Addicts
True Addicts

HAHAHAHAHA Planet Snoopy lol parents

Post June 3rd, 2016, 12:54 am

^^ You Can... in the (very) near future! That's all I can say! :D

Post June 15th, 2016, 6:31 pm
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

I know it's way too early to be thinking about this, but I'm already considering applying for a ride op job at Cedar Point next summer since I've enjoyed my experiences working at Valleyfair so far. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but is it possible for me to interview for a CP job without going all the way out to Sandusky?

Post June 15th, 2016, 6:54 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
VF15 wrote:
I know it's way too early to be thinking about this, but I'm already considering applying for a ride op job at Cedar Point next summer since I've enjoyed my experiences working at Valleyfair so far. Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but is it possible for me to interview for a CP job without going all the way out to Sandusky?

Tristen did it on Skype. Be careful or you might be opping a horrible ride like Valravn.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park Employment