Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! It's Official: Texas Giant Gets A Makeover!

It's Official: Texas Giant Gets A Makeover!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 3rd, 2010, 10:20 pm

Points on hand: 850.00 Points
Eh, i cant wait to ride it. I think that wood and steel are made to generate 2 completely different feelings, both i appreciate equally. I like the feel of incognito(hehe) that wooden supports give, and the smoothness and rush feeling that steel provides. I just think its the good of both worlds. Good, not best, but good.

Post March 3rd, 2010, 10:23 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

yes it's like chocolate and mayonnaise.. that's why reese's mayonnaise cups are so popular ..

Post March 4th, 2010, 2:53 am

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points
Good grief...

Just tear the thing down and put in an intamin woodie, it's better than just turning TG into a hybrid.

Post March 4th, 2010, 3:14 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
Yes yes jayman...you might say the same about El Toro or any of the other Intamin prefab woodies, and yet people seem to love those rides...

Pretty sure you will be in the minority if this turns out to be any kinda exciting, as it most likely will.

Post March 4th, 2010, 3:29 am
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Originally posted by slosprint

Originally posted by Zazu Yen

That'll blow you're maintenance savings.

As a grammar Nazi I object to this sentence.

Edit: The title of this threat should say "It's" not "its".

It is "thread" not "threat".
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 4th, 2010, 9:25 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Yes, I understand my stupidity.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:42 am

Points on hand: 155.00 Points
still not gonna revolutionise the wooden coaster world. That track is going to be far more expensive to work with than wood in initial manufacturing.

Don't know about the smoothness. If the cars are still PTC with their daft (in this day and age) twin axles, they'll still bang all over the place.

Post March 4th, 2010, 11:06 am

Points on hand: 79.00 Points
Wow...strange move, Six Flags. If they had built a new similar woodie they could have named it Texas Giant 2, wich is cheaper than this lousy mix.

Post March 4th, 2010, 11:26 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

They should have made it tiny and called it the Texas Midget.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post March 4th, 2010, 11:31 am

Points on hand: 462.00 Points

Post March 4th, 2010, 1:22 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

Texas Giants PTC trains were retired on 10/31/2009; The red train is suppose to go to a museum. They are suppose to be replaced with gerstlauer trains however that choice to my knowledge has not been committed 100%.

In my opinion this is a bad thing for wooden roller costers. If this hybrid model is successful I can see Six Flags deploying it on all of their classic wooden coasters within the next 10 years. If it fails, then Six Flags will have invested in another prototype that will be SBNO for long periods of time before subsequently being scrapped within the decade.

Post March 4th, 2010, 2:40 pm
Kev True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 3,347.00 Points
I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing for wooden coasters... if this thing actually turns out good when they are done. It could be a very good idea for the high capacity parks like Six Flags, who seem to have problems maintaining large wooden coasters. Leave the real wooden coasters to places like Holiday World.

I guess it is kind of sad to see the end of Texas Giant. But if I were to be honest, my sadness is for missing the Texas Giant that I remember from the early 90s. Last time I rode it was in 2007, and while it wasn't downright awful that day, it wasn't exactly great either.

Will be interesting to see what they do with the layout, regarding their comments about over banked turns and such. Kind of leads me to think they will be removing any hint of laterals. Which kind of sucks, because that is what this ride was mostly about. If all of the laterals are removed, all it will have is speed since TG was never really known for airtime. Maybe they will add some hills somewhere. I wonder if they will put the double up back in? hmmm.

Still hopefully optimistic about this change. It will be interesting to see it evolve over the next few months.

Post March 4th, 2010, 2:56 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,527.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Instead of spending 10 million on it, they should have bulldozed it and throw in a couple flats there. /me runs from the TG fans!
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 4th, 2010, 4:16 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

I agree, level it and build that "water park" that was suppose to go to Kentucky. [lol]

Post March 4th, 2010, 5:31 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
I have to admit I'm intrigued by the possibilities here, if it manages to capture the smooth speed of steel with the loose out-of-control feeling of a woodie it should be fun.

Not that I won't scream bloody murder if Rocky Mountain so much as glances sideways at my beloved SC Giant Dipper!
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post March 4th, 2010, 8:09 pm

Points on hand: 1,289.00 Points

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:07 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

translation " all we really care about is convincing the general public that it's still kinda wooden , but most importantly its gonna be BIGGER FASTER AND STEEPER YEEEEEEHAWWWWW!" to be fair i really dont expect them to care one tiny smidgen about enthusiasts.. they have a bottom line they have to meet>

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:25 pm

BETTER seems to be usually what attracts most enthusiasts. I'm thinking this will likely be a lot better.

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:28 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well if it doesn't work, at least they can light it on fire.

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Better is subjective.

That said...I've seen like...2 people total who seem to care about this ride (both happen to be on this site...hmm). I personally hope it falls down when they test it.

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:30 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

[lol] they should turn the metal rails into a giant circuit and pump so much electricity through them that they heat up and catch it on fire.

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:40 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post March 4th, 2010, 10:45 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Panther16

Eh, i cant wait to ride it. I think that wood and steel are made to generate 2 completely different feelings, both i appreciate equally. I like the feel of incognito(hehe) that wooden supports give, and the smoothness and rush feeling that steel provides. I just think its the good of both worlds. Good, not best, but good.

Hey you're not MrPhilly anymore wtf happened?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 4th, 2010, 11:31 pm

Taller and faster being worse is also subjective, which is mostly what I was addressing.

Post March 5th, 2010, 12:29 am

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
They're probably going to try to call it a woodie, just because of the 95?????????.
American Eagle Lover

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!