Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! It's Official: Texas Giant Gets A Makeover!

It's Official: Texas Giant Gets A Makeover!

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post March 6th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post March 9th, 2010, 5:47 pm

Points on hand: 1,052.00 Points
Coaster fans, as owner of RMC (Rocky Mountain Construction) group we have installed two of the Intamin tracks. We have seen the need to develop a track that can withstand the forces being applied to it. This track will be a smooth ride using the re-profiled wood structure. It is also going to have elements that cannot be done with conventional wood track. It is going to be exciting and new. I am sure you will enjoy the new experience.

Post March 9th, 2010, 6:00 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Um, Didn't it say somewhere that it will have more airtime?! If that is the case, I see no need to complain.
American Eagle Lover

Post March 9th, 2010, 6:04 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,110.00 Points

i can understand the need to please the general public. many of us here would MUCH rather have the traditional rough out of control feeling of a wood tracked coaster any day over the new elements and smoothness. the smoothness and new elements are not for us, it's for the people who think about roller coasters for a few hours a year.. i,for one, can accept that. i will , however scream bloody murder if this happens to ghostrider.
as of now i'm pretty much off the hook when it comes to thinking i'd like to go to texas. that said i must say that it does look like you've come up with an ingenious way to keep the general public interested in rides with wooden structures. .

Post March 9th, 2010, 7:11 pm

They better not touch my love Eagle.
American Eagle Lover

Post March 9th, 2010, 7:20 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Or Boulder Dash... I'm not sure why they would though... Go ahead and touch Mean Streak, it needs it.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post March 9th, 2010, 7:25 pm

^Agreed.

For Six Flags, Rattler might be next.
American Eagle Lover

Post March 9th, 2010, 9:01 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

rmcgroup,

Just so you know I don't blame your company for the demise of the Texas Giant. I just hope that you can live up to the legend that once was the pile of wood you are now building upon. I have vowed never to return to SFOT, however I may make an exception.

Post March 9th, 2010, 9:50 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I think you care a bit too much Mikey.

Anyways good job on the ride so far I hope it comes out a success. I wouldn't much call it a transformation, I'd call it a new ride. No need for everyone to be railing on the company so hard, I like what they're doing.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post March 9th, 2010, 9:54 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
What's the point of vowing if you're so quick to make an exception? If you say it, mean it, or don't waste our time.

Post March 10th, 2010, 6:42 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
Originally posted by rmcgroup

Coaster fans, as owner of RMC (Rocky Mountain Construction) group we have installed two of the Intamin tracks. We have seen the need to develop a track that can withstand the forces being applied to it. This track will be a smooth ride using the re-profiled wood structure. It is also going to have elements that cannot be done with conventional wood track. It is going to be exciting and new. I am sure you will enjoy the new experience.

I'm surprised and pleased to see a RMC representative doing the rounds, reaching out to coaster fans. You didn't really answer any of our questions though, such as how it's going to be smooth if the sections are straight as one article noted. As coaster geeks and simulators we get off on the technical details, if you come back around here we'd be glad for some more in-depth info.

I'm glad your company saw a chance to innovate and are taking what is probably a huge risk, for renovating a large and once well regarded woodie using unproven technology. I hope it turns out well.

EDIT: Fixed misplaced comma.
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post March 10th, 2010, 7:37 pm

I just noticed that you're actually from RMC. [sillyme]

Anyways, it seems like a great concept. I just don't want to see this on almost every wooden coaster.

I actually thought about something like this a while ago (before this was announced) as an idea to build indoor woodie-styled rides. I hope it is applied to that.
American Eagle Lover

Post March 10th, 2010, 7:43 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,110.00 Points

again , the vast majority of park visitors do not care about the things we do. to people who are sincere about their love of classic rollercoasters texas giant was well regarded. to "darlene and her grandkids who go once a year" it was not well regarded. it is not being renovated.. it is being built as something completely different, something that will have way more appeal to the general public, which is who six flags has to care about. i dont think they are taking a risk at all.. i too am grateful that you reached out to people who's input truly has no bearing on said technology .. for what it's supposed to do i'm pretty convinced it will be a huge success.. which is what scares this coaster geek more than anything..

Post March 10th, 2010, 8:12 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,502.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

It will be a huge success because they will market it as a total redesign and the general public will rush on over to ride the "new" ride. Six Flags doesn't make much money from us, the true fans. The reason is because most of us buy a season pass and go multiple times a year with it. Six Flags much more prefers to target the much larger, general public crowd which might go 2-3 times a year and buy a ticket each time. They generate more revenue. Also the GP tends to buy much more over priced crap, err I mean over priced merchandise than hard core fans. Will this work for SF? I think it will.
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post March 10th, 2010, 9:28 pm

^That's also why Magiquest is perfect for Great America (and any other Six Flags parks that may be getting it).
American Eagle Lover

Post March 10th, 2010, 9:38 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Originally posted by Zazu Yen
EDIT: Fixed misplaced comma.

[lol]
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post March 10th, 2010, 9:57 pm

Points on hand: 2,588.00 Points
It will be a success only if it continually brings in, and keeps in, enough people to the park to justify it's cost of construction and ongoing maintenance. We, collectively as coaster enthusiasts, are not a significant number such as can influence this one way or the other. I'm sure SF will advertise the poop out of it and that alone will bring big numbers at first so they can call it a success publicly. But if it closes within, say, five years due to low ridership or mechanical difficulties it will be a failure on the books, and every amusement park company who's watching knows this. When they do something this expensive it's for the long run, it must justify itself for years or it's not feasible.

RMC is taking a big risk not because of Texas Giant, but because they have sunk a huge amount of research and development into a new ride technology that might not work as planned. They are not a big company, if this fails, even if they haven't helped underwrite the renovation, it's going to hurt them.

Note that I called Texas Giant once highly regarded. I never got a chance to ride it but my understanding is that at it's opening it was quite popular with enthusiast and the general public. However it got rougher and rougher and depending on who you ask SF either couldn't, or just didn't, get it comfortable to ride again even after re-tracking it more than once. Thus the general public started avoiding it and it could no longer justify it's running costs.
Be sure you're not looking in a mirror before you start pointing fingers.

Post March 10th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Maybe we can have taller woodie styled rides, like this:

Image Insert:
228.66 KB
American Eagle Lover

Post March 10th, 2010, 11:55 pm

Originally posted by Jonny Richey

They better not touch my love Eagle.

And someone posts this on Great America's facebook page...

"why dont they tear down the american eagle and make it out of steel and make it go faster thats what i would do personally take an original and make it better"
American Eagle Lover

Post March 11th, 2010, 1:01 am

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post March 11th, 2010, 2:16 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
I'd bet, within the same age range, GP intelligence > that of "coaster enthusiasts."

Post March 11th, 2010, 8:37 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Originally posted by Jonny Richey

Maybe we can have taller woodie styled rides, like this:

Image Insert:
228.66 KB

And we could do corkscrews, loops and all other elements that steel coasters do...

No thanks, wooden coasters should keep their own more rough experience. That's why I don't like the Intamin woodies. They are too smooth and calculated out...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post March 14th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Points on hand: 1,052.00 Points
Coaster fans, thank you for your responses. The track you have seen is straight because it is the track for the lift hill. I will post pictures of the first corner track on Tues. The Texas Giant will have more air time. The track is going to be smoother because of the make up of it and the technology we have put into it. If you have any other questions we will be happy to answer them. Again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you ride the new hybrid.

Thx. Fred

Post March 14th, 2010, 2:22 pm

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
Thanks for participating in our topic like you are. It really is helpful to us. I cant wait to see how this turns out.

Post March 14th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Points on hand: 1,495.00 Points

Coaster fans, thank you for your responses. The track you have seen is straight because it is the track for the lift hill. I will post pictures of the first corner track on Tues. The Texas Giant will have more air time. The track is going to be smoother because of the make up of it and the technology we have put into it. If you have any other questions we will be happy to answer them. Again, I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you ride the new hybrid.

Thx. Fred

So is the new track going to be the only new thing in the Texas Giant or is there any special FX going to be added as well?

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!