Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area [NL2] Kingda Ka recreation

[NL2] Kingda Ka recreation

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post October 29th, 2014, 6:55 am

Points on hand: 4,563.00 Points
plantoris wrote:
I have some questions here.
I made my own strata coaster and got it to have random roll backs. the problem is when it rolls back the launch stops it but then the next train comes and it launches both trains at once, ending in a crash around the apex.

Q - how do I configure the launch to reset a train after a roll back?
I'm pretty sure the answer is scripting so anyone want to help?

You need to set the extra block length on the launch so that a train will not clear the launch block until it is over the top and definitely will not roll back. Then you need to set the braking strength on the launch so that a train that rolls back from the very top will just about make it back to the beginning of the launch track but not go too far back and crash into the train on the transfer track.

Then, whenever you get a rollback, just hit the E-stop before the train reaches the launch track. When it stops, turn off the E-stop and it will launch again from the point it stopped. If it still rolls back, hit the E-stop again but then switch to full manual to bring it back to the beginning of the launch track.

Also... do what I did and make the launch track one big brake segment, not a small brake segment and a big transport segment. This is the only way to handle rollbacks properly.

Post November 6th, 2014, 4:09 pm

Updated again. Added Projektion's recreation of Zumanjaro and improved Ka's timing. No further scenery work yet. It's now also available on the Steam Workshop!

Post November 7th, 2014, 8:54 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post November 7th, 2014, 11:26 am

Points on hand: 4,689.00 Points
Bank: 1,372.00 Points
Very nicely done, however you seem to be missing the additional top hat supports of KK since Zumanjaro was added.

Also, one small trick, if you put lots of Style separators on the trim brake on the camel back, you can get a continuous magnetic brake fin like on the real ride.

Post November 7th, 2014, 1:08 pm

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
Projektion, Please teach us your ways of the double spine! looks incredible!

Post November 8th, 2014, 6:52 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Whoa Projektion, nice trick, that's amazing! How did you figure that out?

Post November 9th, 2014, 11:34 am

Points on hand: 181.00 Points
This is absolutely awesome. How do I download??? Im new to NL2 :?

Post November 9th, 2014, 8:14 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^ Hi there,
You can download NoLimits 2 coasters off our track exchange by clicking the "Exchange" button on the banner at the top.
Once you download your track, open NoLimits 2 and click on "Play".

Then use the NoLimits 2 File Browser to browse to your downloaded track. Double click it and Play!

Post November 10th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Points on hand: 181.00 Points
TTD03 wrote:
^ Hi there,
You can download NoLimits 2 coasters off our track exchange by clicking the "Exchange" button on the banner at the top.

Then use the NoLimits 2 File Browser to browse to your downloaded track. Double click it and Play!

Thanks! I thought I had to put it in some sort of folder :D

Post November 10th, 2014, 2:19 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Projektion wrote:
Very nicely done, however you seem to be missing the additional top hat supports of KK since Zumanjaro was added.

Also, one small trick, if you put lots of Style separators on the trim brake on the camel back, you can get a continuous magnetic brake fin like on the real ride.

Fantastic trick! Also, if that is Monolith in the screenshot, how did you get the double spine without sending the track back to NL1 and using the Construction Kit?
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 10th, 2014, 3:29 pm

Projektion wrote:

Yeah, haven't done the additional supports yet, I need more reference photos and for the new supports to show up on Google Earth so I can get the new footers located properly. I wasn't intending to put Zumanjaro on it at all but having a working one available changed my mind. I'll definitely try out the style separator trick!

Edit: I tried the style separator trick, and each one adds a joint between two pieces of track. These look pretty bad on the 4-tube track of Ka's brake run, so I don't think I'm going to go ahead with this.
Last edited by Dusso Janladde on November 12th, 2014, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post November 11th, 2014, 8:56 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
TTD03 wrote:
Whoa Projektion, nice trick, that's amazing! How did you figure that out?

You could do something similar with support connectors in NL1 to mess around with the crosstie density if I remember correctly.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 23rd, 2014, 10:56 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

wrightyboy13 wrote:
TTD03 wrote:
^ Hi there,

Thanks! I thought I had to put it in some sort of folder :D

You can if you want, it's more or less for organization, but that's it :P

Post May 5th, 2015, 9:57 pm

Post May 6th, 2015, 6:10 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Yay!
Question though, one thing I have noticed is that the section after the brakes at the end, Kingda Ka, has this straight section that lasts a bit before turning in. Your version seems to skip the straight section and head straight for the turn. This video from 3:13-3:18 shows what I think is missing.

Post May 7th, 2015, 1:36 pm
TallonD83 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 355.00 Points
Bank: 4,476.00 Points
Dusso, I think I still have the KK texture lying around if you still want/need them...

Post May 8th, 2015, 10:43 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

My bad, link was not included in my last post. It is now!

Post May 10th, 2015, 3:43 pm

TTD03 wrote:
Yay!
Question though, one thing I have noticed is that the section after the brakes at the end, Kingda Ka, has this straight section that lasts a bit before turning in. Your version seems to skip the straight section and head straight for the turn. This video from 3:13-3:18 shows what I think is missing.

Yeah, that's pretty much deliberate. The ride's basically over by that point, and I want to get the train back into the station as soon as possible in order to launch the next one sooner.

Post May 10th, 2015, 3:48 pm

TallonD83 wrote:
Dusso, I think I still have the KK texture lying around if you still want/need them...

Yes, thanks! I almost forgot.

Post May 10th, 2015, 5:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,485.00 Points
Dusso Janladde wrote:
TTD03 wrote:
Yay!

Yeah, that's pretty much deliberate. The ride's basically over by that point, and I want to get the train back into the station as soon as possible in order to launch the next one sooner.

This IS your ride, but if your doing a KK recreation isn't it considered not a recreation if you go against the original layout for your own sake?

Post May 10th, 2015, 6:32 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Dusso Janladde wrote:
TTD03 wrote:
Yay!

Here's an idea. You can still do that, but create the straight section part, but just turn the end of the straight section into a brake, so that once the train clears that, and starts going around the turn, the next can launch. That way, capacity is where you want it, and the recreation is more precise!

Post May 14th, 2015, 4:04 pm
TallonD83 User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 355.00 Points
Bank: 4,476.00 Points

Post May 17th, 2015, 8:26 pm

Working toward another update...

Car textures added (Thanks TallonD83, they look great!) and started terrain painting. Still trying to find a good way to make concrete paths for the queue.

Supports for Zumanjaro. It's tedious work as six are needed for each level of the tower, and they have to be lined up manually. I only have about half done so far, working from the bottom to the top. The update will be posted when these are done.

Post May 17th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Update is ready! In addition to finishing Zumanjaro's supports, I did...
Zumanjaro's winch and lift cables! The winch is actually too small as NL2's pipe supports max out at about 6.5 feet wide while the real winch is 9 feet wide. I'll be adding the supports and motor to the winch later.

The top of Zumanjaro, showing the supports and lift cables.

Preview image is also updated.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337800825

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BywnRPG-G-i7SlZRVUM0WGFIRkE/view?usp=sharing

Post May 19th, 2015, 8:41 pm

MAJOR BREAKTHROUGH!

I've always wanted good train logos for this coaster, and in order to make them I've been looking for a high-resolution picture of Kingda Ka's logo for a long time... with no success. Just today, I happened to be browsing Great Adventure History and noticed that their article on Kingda Ka was finally online. Wow, what a goldmine, pretty much all the construction pictures I've ever seen are there. And just what I needed, the press release material. In particular, this picture. Bingo. The slashes aren't in the same place as on the actual train logo, but that's no big deal, the text alone is fine and I'm unlikely to find a better source image.

So began lots of extraction and cleanup work in Photoshop, followed by a trial-and-error process of fitting it into the car texture and getting it sized and positioned just right. All this with no experience working with car textures!

But the end result is glorious.
I can now officially say that the trains are 100% finished.

As usual, the new version is available on Steam Workshop and Google Drive.

PreviousNext

Return to Hard Hat Area