Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Knoebels Announces New Flat Ride for 2017

Knoebels Announces New Flat Ride for 2017

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post January 7th, 2017, 4:03 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points

Elysburg ??? Knoebels Amusement Resort officials announced today that a new ride will be ready for the 2017 season.

Over The Top, which is scheduled for a late spring or early summer debut as the only ride of its kind set for operation in the state this year, will reach more than 21 feet in height when in operation. It will provide riders with an over the top motion while standing and will send riders both clockwise and counterclockwise, according to a press release provided by park spokesperson Stacy Ososkie.

The ride drawing is featured in the 2017 park brochure, which debuted at the Pennsylvania Farm Show in Harrisburg this weekend.

America???s largest free-admission amusement park announced that the addition is brand new, but longtime visitors might recognize some characteristics of a former ride. According to Dick Knoebel, the ride, which has been given the name by Knoebels, stood out to the Knoebel family at an industry expo in November.

???One of the reasons it caught our attention is that it gives riders a sensation similar to that of the old Flying Cages,??? said Knoebel. ???In addition, we received the stamp of approval from younger family members who never experienced the Cages and still spoke highly of the thrill.???

Knoebel is referring to the Flying Cages, or Cages, that operated at Knoebels from 1964 until the park???s Handstamp Building was constructed in 1986. A rider was challenged to shift their weight back and forth inside the cage, while standing, in an attempt to make the cage go ???over the top.??? Visitors can find one of the original Cages in the Knoebels History Museum, and during its Hallo-Fun event, when a Cage reemerges as a decoration.

Though riders will not be tasked with propelling the new ride, the ???over the top??? motion will be part of the rider experience, as will the fact that riders will be standing. The ride will have a Cages-like theme at Knoebels, and will move both clockwise and counterclockwise.

Ososkie said Over the Top will be located in the area of Wipeout, Fandango, Cub Cars rides, and the Monkey Madness game.

???There was a lot of interest on our Facebook teaser posts questioning whether or not we???re removing anything to make way for the new ride,??? said Ososkie. ???Visitors might notice some repositioning, but we???re happy to have enough space to keep everything and will hopefully bring even more interest to all of the other fun to be had in that area.???

Visitors need to be at least 48 inches in height to ride Over the Top.

Source

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
oh right that thing
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

Post January 7th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
THEY ACTUALLY SOLD ONE. WHAT. HOW. IS THIS A DREAM?
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post January 7th, 2017, 10:53 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

oh.. someone actually bought one...? ok then..
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Post January 8th, 2017, 12:00 am

Points on hand: 5,955.00 Points
F*CK I LOST TEN BUCKS TO ANTONIO DAMN IT

I BET THEY WOULDN'T SELL ONE

AND THEN SUBSEQUENTLY FORGOT ABOUT THE BET
Ok but how desperate you have to be to voluntarily fly from another country to go to Thorpe?

mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
I can see the appeal for a park like Knoebels, it replicates a very old style of ride whilst maintaining modern standards and consistency of ride.
Coaster Count - 198
France 2019 Mini Trip Report

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
I hope the possibility is there to turn this into a mini stand-up top spin.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!