Board index Roller Coaster Games Hard Hat Area Lakeside Groves Park

Lakeside Groves Park

The Hard Hat Area is the place to post construction news about your ride, so this is the place to hype your future upload!

Post October 26th, 2014, 7:17 pm

Points on hand: 907.00 Points
Looking good! I find it's really easy to make supports too large, because the frame reference in real life vs. NL2 doesn't translate well. If you're questioning if your support is too big/small, go to walk mode with a frozen coaster and see what the perspective is like standing next to it, it's enlightening! It also makes you realize what "small" elements look like up close!

Did you make the box frames on your vertical loop with supports or 3ds? I really like that touch!

Post October 26th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
I made the loop supports out of custom box supports, It looks like this in the editor

I'll look at the supports again too!
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post October 26th, 2014, 8:16 pm

Points on hand: 907.00 Points
Nice work! I might use something similar on a part of my Drachen Fire recreation that I've been struggling with. Thanks for posting that pictures!

Post October 27th, 2014, 7:27 am

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post October 31st, 2014, 2:28 pm

Thanks!

Anyway I've been trying to perfect arrow shaping for a coaster I'm making and here's what I have so far.

Also, does anyone know where I can download FVD? I now there's a way to get the banking right using it and I just can figure it out how to do it while hand building. Right now if I get the perfect arrow banking but it makes huge pumps. Any help would be appreciated.

Post October 31st, 2014, 2:41 pm

Points on hand: 483.00 Points
Bank: 19,590.00 Points
Can i test that? You can test my smelter stack coaster in return.

Post October 31st, 2014, 3:53 pm

Sure, it isn't that much I only made it to work on some shaping.
http://www.coastercrazy.com/scrapyard/detail.php?scrap_id=84

Post October 31st, 2014, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
I really like how it's shaping up, and I see that addition peeking in the back as well! I liked how the drop looked from the start and didn't think it needed to be changed. It was unique and would have built a little suspense but sadly you know how coaster fans feel about originality...

Anyhow good work on the design, it really fits well into that area and I'm glad to see a stand-up coaster getting used. I would have a request for the park overall, since you are placing the park in the early 1990s, please consider the new attraction being a suspended coaster! I'd like to see how you would design one.

About the supports, the one that really stands out to me is that large "A" section in the first pic. I don't really have a good sense of perspective for that, but is there a way you can maybe angle that using two support structures instead of having that one do some serious gymnastic splits? Maybe I'm not looking at that right. Anyway love the look!

If you are going for a traditional Arrow coaster, elements usually don't transition right after another around a batwing with Steel Phantom being an exception. Arrow coasters snapped together like RCT, where there would be a some sort of staging section before element changes:

This pic is hard to see with so much red, but if you look to the right there is straight track before the batwing

Post October 31st, 2014, 5:13 pm

Thanks! I've been planning on putting in a suspended coaster for the second season. As for the support, is this better?

With the batwing that was more of a test to get the shaping right not the actual layout, I'll make sure all the transitions are fine on the final one though.

Post October 31st, 2014, 5:25 pm

I loved your arrow shaping! You do not need to use FVD++ at all!

Post October 31st, 2014, 5:53 pm

Points on hand: 204.00 Points
Bank: 3,034.00 Points
There was one support on the lift that was split between the top and bottom of the cliff lol. That I see you fixed. with trees in place everything is very picturesque

Also I agree with Cool5. your shaping on the Arrow was extremely well done. I was merely offering a suggestion for a future build if you were starting over in FVD++. I don't think it would warrant a redo though

Post October 31st, 2014, 6:02 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

Post October 31st, 2014, 6:23 pm

Thanks for the link, I'll try and learn how to use it!

Post October 31st, 2014, 7:16 pm

Points on hand: 4,800.70 Points

^Good luck. I tried to learn FVD but found newton much easier to use. Plus it can be nearly as powerful if you completely master it.
It's been a long time
Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCErEzTkqrD55UEiIiiKsKmg

Post November 1st, 2014, 8:49 am

Does anyone know what's causing this? On the staircase the texture is flickering between blank and the right texture. I can't figure out whats cuasing it and its really annoying.

Right Texture:

Blank Texture:

Also, 7 inversion coaster anyone?

Post November 1st, 2014, 8:49 pm

Points on hand: 3,436.00 Points
Bank: 1,275.00 Points
The texture issue could be that in the original model there are two faces in each other, one textured and one not, and it flicks between them. I guess that is a good first place to check although judging by the picture its unlikely to be the cause.

If not then it may just be an odd bug in which case I have no clue how to fix it.

NL2 doesn't seem to deal with textures too well, I have had many issues in the past with them too. This project is coming together really well though! :)

Post November 1st, 2014, 8:54 pm

Make to nearly stop the train on the mid brake run like most arrows do.

Post November 1st, 2014, 9:53 pm

Points on hand: 5,149.54 Points

^ Complete with the head snapping sudden stop of the final brake run!

Post November 2nd, 2014, 7:41 pm

Well, I completely redid the arrows layout to make it standout more against the skyline. Now it's a near mirror image of GASM called Scream Machine. (Name probably isn't permanent.)

Stats:
Height- 173
Drop- 150 (Ish)
Length- 3632
Inversions- 7 3 loops, Kamikaze Curve and Double Corkscrew
Opening Year- 1990

Here's a general layout picture

And the Corkscrews which may be a bit small

As for the brakes they don't stop the train completely sense its the rides opening year and its still smooth

Post November 3rd, 2014, 9:41 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post November 3rd, 2014, 9:50 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Yeah your corkscrews need to be a bit bigger. Try lowering them a bit to keep the speed up.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 3rd, 2014, 3:22 pm

Bouncypip11 wrote:
The texture issue could be that in the original model there are two faces in each other, one textured and one not, and it flicks between them. I guess that is a good first place to check although judging by the picture its unlikely to be the cause.

If not then it may just be an odd bug in which case I have no clue how to fix it.

NL2 doesn't seem to deal with textures too well, I have had many issues in the past with them too. This project is coming together really well though! :)

It's fixed, I accidentally copied the staircase in the blender.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Yeah your corkscrews need to be a bit bigger. Try lowering them a bit to keep the speed up.

I'll make them bigger but how tall is an arrow corkscrew?(If it was on the ground.) I thought that arrow made there loops 50 feet and thier corkscrew 25. Do they make 2 separate sizes?

Post November 3rd, 2014, 4:19 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
I have no idea, but you should be able to use the train to scale the height of the corkscrew appropriately. I don't buy into the "all of their loops and corkscrews were the exact same height and dimensions" hypothesis that seems to be floating around, but they're similarish and it shouldn't be hard to scale them appropriately.

It's hard to tell scale without the train in the corkscrews themselves. They may be fine as is while real life ones look different because of the density of the crossties. Crosstie density isn't an option in NL2 that I am aware of currently.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post November 3rd, 2014, 9:38 pm

I made the corkscrew a little bit bigger and I think it should be fine now. It rides smoothly and the speed's fine.

I'll start support work on it tomorrow.

Post November 3rd, 2014, 9:46 pm

Did you make all the transitions jerky and have strict vertices?

PreviousNext

Return to Hard Hat Area