Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Longest Queue and Most Excessive Switchbacks

Longest Queue and Most Excessive Switchbacks

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 24th, 2011, 3:23 pm

Points on hand: 99.00 Points
1.This is not the longest time you have waited in a queue. This is the longest walk from entrance to station.

2. What is the Most excessive Switchbacks you have seen.

For Me

1. American Eagle (Viper at SFGAm, Mean Streak and Magnum* come to mind)

2. Millennium Force. (Raptor, Mean Streak, S:UF, and Magnum also come to mind)

What about you

*Magnum isn't really long but i found that the entrance and exit were really far apart from each other.

Post September 24th, 2011, 3:33 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I think Mean Streaks is larger and Mean Streak from entrance to ride station is REALLY far apart. Even more so if you enter and have to go through the entire queue. Then youre VERY far away. Use Google Maps and check that out. Same for MF. Magnum is CLOSE to its station by comparison.

Post September 24th, 2011, 4:33 pm

Points on hand: 932.00 Points

Flight Deck at Kings Island. Seems like it takes forever to walk back to the ride.

Post September 24th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

The Boss and Batman at SFSTL have really long walks from entrance to station. I agree that Mean Streak has one too, it has that long straightaway underneath.

Post September 24th, 2011, 4:52 pm

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

longest i have ever que'd wasent for a coaster but it was for storm-force 10 at drayton along while ago on a very hot day and it was 2 hours but it was the shortest que in the park at the time

most switchbacks has to be rita at alton towers. it takes 5 mins just to walk through that cattle pen. god how i hate it
Making screams come true

Post September 24th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Longest queue I've ever seen is superman ultimate flight at SFGAdv. and Green Lantern was pretty colse to that to. Deuling Dragons/ Dragon Challenge was also very long but it was intersting. Longest in general though is the Harry Potter ride inside the Hogwarts castle at Islands of America.
What are these for?

Post September 24th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Points on hand: 99.00 Points
I meant that Magnum's EXIT and ENTRANCE were far apart. Compared to MS and MF Magnum is nothing

Post September 24th, 2011, 6:44 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
Originally posted by tribar

1. American Eagle (Viper at SFGAm, Mean Streak and Magnum* come to mind)

The one on American Ealge isn't that bad because of the shortcut halfway through, which you can use if you want to ride again, but had to leave the station..... but the one on Viper is worse because if you can't reride, you have to go ALL THE WAY around to the entrance.

The one on Boss is pretty bad, just cause it's so long and repetitive. At least the one on American Eagle has some variety, and not the same thing over and over again like Boss.

And I agree with CKidd, Dueling Dragons had/has (I don't know the status on that) an extremely long queue, but it was AWESOME to walk through. Plus I remember there bieng a shortcut like the one I mentioned on American Ealge.
American Eagle Lover

Post September 24th, 2011, 6:57 pm

Points on hand: 935.00 Points
Definitely Flight Deck. I also think Vortex's queue was excessively long. Dragon Challenge's line was super long too, but at least its interesting in there.

Post September 24th, 2011, 7:53 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points

Post September 24th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I had more fun walking in the queue line of American Eagle than I did on the actual ride, so...

Unless you have been on the Harry Potter ride inside the castle, you don't know anything about lengthy queue lines.

*That being said, it is also by far the most exciting queue line I've ever walked through.

Post September 24th, 2011, 8:01 pm

I tried to say that too, but atleast there are things inside the castle
What are these for?

Post September 24th, 2011, 8:28 pm
WES User avatar

Points on hand: 1,732.00 Points
S:UF at SFOG has a long path to get to the loading area. Especially long if its full on a hot summer day. Hardly any shade.

Post September 24th, 2011, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I would say hands down that Dragon Challenge and the HP Ride in the castle are the longest queues out there. Nothing I've seen even comes close. However, I would also say that they are hands-down the most interesting queues to walk through.

As far as long, boring queues go, see MF. All it is is switchbacks on concrete. On a hot or rainy day, it's absolute hell out there. True, you don't normally have to wait through more than a set or two of them, but just imagine being there opening year having to wait for 3 hours....yikes.

Post September 24th, 2011, 9:14 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Space Mountain and Splash Mountain at Disneyland have very long walks, especially on slow days, from queue entrance to station platform, however, I agree that Flight Deck at KI has an unnecessarily long queue. as far as switchbacks are concerned, once again, Disneyland takes the cake: Indiana Jones has an INSANE cattle pen.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post September 24th, 2011, 9:35 pm

^Yeah, but Space Mountain is an AMAZING ride.
American Eagle Lover

Post September 24th, 2011, 9:45 pm

fun and unexpected but I wouldn't say amazing, out of the 4 coasters in disney world I would rank it 3rd.
but thats just my opinion I don't want to stray too far off topic
What are these for?

Post September 24th, 2011, 10:03 pm
Jer User avatar

Points on hand: 1,089.00 Points

El Toro, and Green Lantern
Phoenix|Maverick|Skyrush|RFII|Leviathan|Bizzaro[SFNE]|Bdash|Griffon|El Toro|Verbolten
RIP Chiller: 1997-2008

Post September 24th, 2011, 11:14 pm
thrillsentertainment Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,028.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

I would say hands down that Dragon Challenge and the HP Ride in the castle are the longest queues out there. Nothing I've seen even comes close. However, I would also say that they are hands-down the most interesting queues to walk through.

As far as long, boring queues go, see MF. All it is is switchbacks on concrete. On a hot or rainy day, it's absolute hell out there. True, you don't normally have to wait through more than a set or two of them, but just imagine being there opening year having to wait for 3 hours....yikes.

Man, I agree... I totally hate MF's queue. If it is more than 30 minutes long I avoid the ride at all costs for the reasons you stated, on hot days I swear out of every ride I've been on, MF's queue heats up the most. Almost feels as if there is a magnifying glass over the thing. The flimsy shades don't provide much help either. I love the ride though, so I usually wait until dusk to hop in line, it's better at night anyways, so no problems with that on my part.

Post September 24th, 2011, 11:30 pm

atleast there is some shade, when I went to great adventure in june it was near 97 and, el toro has no shade, nitro has no shade, s:uf had no shade, bizzaro had no shade, and green lantern had little shade.
What are these for?

Post September 25th, 2011, 12:12 am
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

I waited the full 3 hours to go on Millennium Force the year that it opened. Fortunately, it was early in the morning, so there was still enough fog to keep everyone cool. Plus there was a DJ in the music booth, plus I always find some random people to chat with about roller coasters in queue lines, so even though it was the longest I've ever waited for a ride by a wide margin, it really wasn't that bad.

I feel bad for the people who rode in the middle of the day, though. It's like 95 degrees, almost no shade, and nothing but an occasional mist fan. That must have been hell back in those days when the switchbacks were almost always near-completely full.

As far as longest walk from exit to enterance, I'm definitely going to agree with Flight Deck at King's Island. It was long enough back when Son of Beast was at least back there too, while now it's just so far away from everything else that it's ridiculous. Even with no line, it would probably take a full 10 minutes to get back to the station again after exiting.

Post September 25th, 2011, 12:38 am

Originally posted by CKidd

fun and unexpected but I wouldn't say amazing, out of the 4 coasters in disney world I would rank it 3rd.
but thats just my opinion I don't want to stray too far off topic

Actually, I'm talking about the one in California..... way better.
American Eagle Lover

Post September 25th, 2011, 1:01 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

As far as long, boring queues go, see MF...but just imagine being there opening year having to wait for 3 hours....yikes.

I went there opening year and waited 30 seconds [:D] didn't realize how lucky I got hahaha

Post September 25th, 2011, 11:20 am
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

The old Jokers Jinx queue @ Six Flags Fiesta Texas, not necessarily because it was the longest or had the most switch backs, but because of the black lights, florescent paint, many corridors, things popping out, flashing lights etc... people would get lost in there for hours.

Other really long notable queue lines,

The old per-accident roaring rapids queue line @ Six Flags Over Texas. Which counting switch backs, was almost 6/8 a mile in length.

I have seen Dueling Dragons queue line be four hours, out the mote gate, and in the plugin stanchions all the way out past the lockers.

Titan opening week, at it's peak the line was 5 hours, and was wrapped through it's standard queue, extended into several switch backs in the back area between Log Flume II, and the OPs/IT/Electricians Office. Then it wrapped around the fence, underneath the rail road bridge, and was literately at the Titan / Picnic area sign in Texas.

Mr Freeze Opening Day - Queue line was all the way through the upper queue house, down the ramp, maxed out the bull pen, through the lower queue house, and outside the building in several rows of plugin stanchions. The beginning of the line was the old Snowhill queue line which was in the vicinity of where Freefall used to be, and where Tony Hawk is now.

The line was so bad that they had to use a card system. You waited in line at Snowhill, and then when you reached the end of that you were given a card. You walked over to Gothom, handled the attendant at Snowcones your card, and then got the privilege of waiting in the main queue for another two hours.

I can probably think of some more, but I am typing this up on my phone so..

Post September 25th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

Oh wait, I forgot one on my list....Bigfoot Rapids at KBF. Quite a walk from queue entrance to station platform, at least there are nice plants and trees to look at along the way.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions