Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports Magic Mountain, june 5 2015

Magic Mountain, june 5 2015

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post June 6th, 2015, 1:23 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

Howdy!!!!
Yesterday i enjoyed the opportunity to visit magic mountain for the first time in 6 years with Oscar and Helo9797. The reason for this trip was obvious, Oscar and I wanted to see if the new "Twisted Collossus" lived up to what's been said about it already. Since that was the absolute highlight of this trip i'll spend some time going over it in detail later in this report, but first i'll give some general details about our day.

For me the day started here in san diego, just before the crack of dawn at 0500. i cranked up the ol' volvo, grabbed a cup of 7/11 coffee and started the first leg of my journey. My reason for leaving so early was to be ahead of any nasty morning L.A. traffic.. This ended up paying off BIG TIME. my intention was to reach oscar's house at 0830, but i had over estimated traffic and found myself in lynwood at 0730, 1 full hour before intended. One thing about fellow enthusiasts is that one can count on them to be , well, enthusiastic. :lol: . i informed Oscar of my early arrival and was pleased to find that he too wanted to be the early bird, and was already prepared to go. Rather than waiting any longer we erred on the side of caution and continued through the whole of los angeles, arriving in valencia at around 0910. after a quick fast food breakfast we decided it wouldn't hurt to just wait at the gates until the prescribed opening time of 1030.

This is where things paid off. we were parked and at the main gates at just before 0930. i jokingly suggested to Oscar "wouldnt it be funny if there was an early entry for some reason today? " Oscar walked to the man at the gate and asked, and the man at the gate said "yes , as a matter of fact there is, i just found out about it 5 minutes ago"!!!!!! :o we were let in, with about a dozen or so other guests, an hour early for surprise ERT on revolution and viper. the reason for this turned out to be the result of a promotion by Honda for honda owners. Niether myself or oscar own a Honda, but the staff member at the gate must have assumed that's why we were there . 2 rides on revolution, and two on viper later we decided to wait with the "crowd" of between 50 and 75 guests to get a 10 minute head start towards the queue for Twisted collossus. when the rope came down we headed over and queued up, all this before the park was officially open!!!!
Twisted collossus ended up not opening until about 1120, and somehow Helo9797 had beaten us to the queue and was one of the less than 100 people waiting ahead of us, some of whom got impatient and left the line , making it even shorter. :D

Once it was open our wait was less than 15 minutes and we politely (and maybe firmly) requested the back seats. (*note* while there IS a policy of assigned seating , a staff member CANNOT refuse a request for a specific seat unless they used the single rider line... yes .. you read that right .. SINGLE RIDER LINE!!!! :shock:) the seats on these well themed trains were incredibly comfortable, and the leg/lap restraints are a brilliant game changer.

THIS RIDE IS FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the train leaves the station on the old "red " side into a series of bunny hills and trick track, as if rocky mountain knows what they've done and wanted to pay homage to the classic wooden coasters of the past.. the climb was quick, and in very "un- sixflags "fashion did NOT slow to a near stop at the top. i wont go into a play by play here.. you can see it in the many povs available on the net. look at those elements, imagine what they must be like, and multiply that by a large number and you might come close to understanding what this coaster is like in real life. UNBELIEVEABLE. those who've been on this site for awhile know full well what i think of the aesthetics of iron horse track, but as far as the ride experience goes.. it maintains the important aspects of wood track: one can tell that it's a steel rollercoaster, but not "glide-y" like tubular tracks. the forces and elements here are unbelieveable.. the illusion of being on a wooden rollercoaster coupled with these is a mind blowing experience.i was also lucky enough on two of our re rides to experience the dueling aspect, which multiplies the intensity many, many times. yes, thats right Jayman the wood snob LOVES THIS RIDE. 10 out of 10 , from me. nearly EVERY drop was as good or more intense as ghostriders mid course drop in its heyday. !!!!!!!

the rest of the day was spent checking out the rest of the park . as i'd not visited for some time i had alot of catching up to do , and who better to do it with than two fellow site members. one thing that i cannot say enough good about is the single rider line concept... it is an enthusiasts dream come true.

it wasnt a slow day by any means, and many rides were left un ridden, and sadly goliath was closed, but in spite of the crowds the park seemed very clean and orderly , and with the exception of a few glitches the rides were in good shape. it was my first time experiencing a zac spin, in the form of "green lantern , first flight" after a 10 minute or less wait as single riders oscar and myself were actually seated together for this ride.. it was all i expected it to be.. a much taller, less intense, simulation of a "zipper" , but fun none the less. it was aslo my first go at "lex luther, drop of doom" the psychological effect of this ride was not lost on me.. "too high .. too high.. ' was a message that the primal part of my brain could not stop sending.. absolutely great ride, and good use of the existing superman tower. batman and riddler's revenge were running great, and although i'm by no means a comic fan i will say that the theming in the super hero part of the park was spot on and immersive. sadly, due to crowds i decided not to ride full throttle.. it looks fun enough, but there was plenty else to do, and i'll come back on a slow day in fall to check it out .

well.. that's that. we left at 8 pm closing time and i arrived safe at home just before midnight (i took a detour through my home town of buena park just because). if you get the chance to visit magic mountain dont pass it up, it's been YEARS since i was this impressed with that place, and in my 42 years of visiting there i might suggest that it might be the most impressed i'd ever been. special thanks to oscar for having me as his guest and to Helo9797 for his knowledge of which rides had single rider lines, great day with great company
yours,
Jayman
Last edited by jayman on June 7th, 2015, 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post June 6th, 2015, 4:36 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Twisted Colossus is without a doubt my fav ride at SFMM now. 2nd is Tatsu, then Goliath, then X2 :)
Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post June 7th, 2015, 8:37 pm

Points on hand: 680.00 Points
Bank: 1,513.00 Points
TC was amazing, still thinking about it today!
Glad I went! It was FUN!

Post June 7th, 2015, 10:59 pm
jayman Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 3,115.00 Points

yah.. im not kidding when i point out how impressed i was with the whole park. i kinda did get cranky about tatsu, but maybe i needed a snickers or something.

Post June 8th, 2015, 4:10 am

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Oscar wrote:
Twisted Colossus is without a doubt my fav ride at SFMM now. 2nd is Tatsu, then Goliath, then X2 :)

It's late to say, but I thought that ride was epic! When I was watching that POV, I personally noticed some "Intamin Fart" things on twisted hills, not on top of airtime hills. :D
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

Post June 9th, 2015, 1:13 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post June 9th, 2015, 1:13 pm

Points on hand: 67,131.00 Points
I did. Just a few though. I've not had time to edit them but will ASAP.

Post June 10th, 2015, 6:25 pm
Oscar User avatar
Founding Member
Founding Member

Points on hand: 11,572.60 Points
Bank: 187,052.60 Points

Here's the pictures I took with my camera. Enjoy!

Support Us! - Click Here To Donate $5 Monthly!
Paradox wrote:
No need to tell Oscar about the problems. He is magic.

Post June 12th, 2015, 8:16 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 738.00 Points
Bank: 111,265.11 Points

Post June 12th, 2015, 8:19 pm
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
I'll have those same views in about a month and a half!
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Post June 12th, 2015, 8:21 pm
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Post June 14th, 2015, 3:44 am
mkingy User avatar

Points on hand: 28,053.00 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points

Post June 14th, 2015, 8:27 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Damn Tatsu needs paint lol
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:20 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Coasterkidmwm wrote:

There never has, never will, be anywhere in the budget for that. Until it starts to rust and the state of Cali says, you need to do something about this.

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:24 am
Paradox User avatar

TTD03 wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:

There never has, never will, be anywhere in the budget for that. Until it starts to rust and the state of Cali says, you need to do something about this.

What budget are you referring to? Of course the park has money to repaint it, they just don't want to. They just repainted Scream this year too, but they still didn't take out the parking lot.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:30 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Every ride has a budget. Every department has a budget. Repainting a coaster could be part of that coaster's budget or maintenance's budget.

If you have a year where a coaster, like Tatsu, doesn't break down a lot and spare parts aren't needed as much. You would have a higher chance of seeing it repainted, since there is extra money left over in the budget.

This can also work the other way, let's say the park plans to paint the ride at the end of the year if there is enough money left in the budget, based on past ride downtime from previous years. But this year there was an abnormal amount of break downs and part replacements and it took up all the budget for the year. The painting would be canceled and put off to the next year.

This is how it works at Great Adventure, i'd assume it's the same for all the other Six Flags parks.

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:34 am
Paradox User avatar

Except SFMM makes a ton of money due to its location and size to the point where they are adding coasters every 2-3 years.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:35 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Paradox wrote:
Except SFMM makes a ton of money due to its location and size to the point where they are adding coasters every 2-3 years.

^ Doesn't matter. Same thing, there's a budget in place. It's larger because they run all year, but that can can still backfire in replacement parts needed due to the all year running.

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:37 am
Paradox User avatar

TTD03 wrote:
Paradox wrote:

^ Doesn't matter. Same thing, there's a budget in place. It's larger because they run all year, but that can can still backfire in replacement parts needed due to the all year running.

I highly doubt that Tatsu has a lot of mechanical problems. B&M's are highly reliable.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Post June 14th, 2015, 9:50 am
TTD03 User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

^ Ha. Not the flyer's. Ask Oscar. The station rotation stuff its apparently a maintenance nightmare.

Post June 14th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Points on hand: 4,033.00 Points
In pictures, Tatsu looks bad. In person, not so much.

It could use some paint, yes. But I'd say that's a very low priority right now.
Intamin: The Force Awakens.

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports