Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Magic Mountain Or Over Texas?

Magic Mountain Or Over Texas?

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post October 9th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Points on hand: 460.00 Points
I am on fall break and i do not know which one to go to. Ive been to MM a few times before but i want to know if it is worth it to try a new theme park. So which do you think is a better choice to go to???
Last edited by hyyyper on October 10th, 2011, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post October 10th, 2011, 3:30 am

Points on hand: 6,539.00 Points
Magic Mountain, hands down. The new Texas Giant is good, but overrated IMO.

Post October 10th, 2011, 5:43 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

I say SFOT without a doubt. New Texas Giant, Mr. Freeze, and Shockwave are better than anything at SFMM.

How is New Texas Giant overrated? It has some of if not the best airtime on the planet.

Post October 10th, 2011, 6:41 am
GavG Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 973.00 Points
Bank: 950.00 Points
If you have already been to SFMM and never been to SFOT I would say go to SFOT.

Post October 10th, 2011, 8:23 am

Mr. Freeze and Shockwave?? Lol. Okay. I've always thought both mediocre, but certainly enjoyable. Both parks have a Giovanola hyper and a Batman clone. Beyond that Magic Mountain has a brand new Intamin ZacSpin, Tatsu, X2, Viper, Riddler's, Scream, the revamped Superman, whatever they're calling that new Terminator woodie and others! Over Texas really only has, as said, Shockwave and Mr. Freeze that are worth a crap (beside Titan and Batman, of course). Every now and then I'll hit Runaway Mine Train, Runaway Mountain or even La Vibora. Pandemonium is NEVER worth its wait and it makes me cringe to look at it when I think of how a strata coaster was once on the drawing board to originate there and travel over the lake and back. Still, I am totally biased because SFOT is my home park and though it's old hat for me, it's a great park and even better with the revamped Texas Giant.

Also, the new Texas Giant really is rather good, but I do still find it overrated and have my gripes with it. For some reason, there are rows with an oddly placed ankle restraint bar, and my first ride was in one of these rows (I believe the front of each car has them)....this ruined my first ride experience. The bars dug into me through all the ejector air, causing both mild pain at the impact point and resulting in moderate pain in my knees for the entire day. Now, I'll only ride in the back, which seems to be roomier than other rows and lacks this ankle bar. I'd advise doing the same.

Post October 10th, 2011, 8:25 am
gouldy User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 2,833.00 Points
Bank: 25,088.00 Points

"Ive been to MM a few times before"

Herein lies your answer. If you have the chance to visit SFOT, it would be a shame not to go and experience something new.

Post October 10th, 2011, 9:51 am

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
Originally posted by aj74205

Mr. Freeze and Shockwave?? Lol. Okay. I've always thought both mediocre, but certainly enjoyable. Both parks have a Giovanola hyper and a Batman clone. Beyond that Magic Mountain has a brand new Intamin ZacSpin, Tatsu, X2, Viper, Riddler's, Scream, the revamped Superman, whatever they're calling that new Terminator woodie and others! Over Texas really only has, as said, Shockwave and Mr. Freeze that are worth a crap (beside Titan and Batman, of course). Every now and then I'll hit Runaway Mine Train, Runaway Mountain or even La Vibora. Pandemonium is NEVER worth its wait and it makes me cringe to look at it when I think of how a strata coaster was once on the drawing board to originate there and travel over the lake and back. Still, I am totally biased because SFOT is my home park and though it's old hat for me, it's a great park and even better with the revamped Texas Giant.

Also, the new Texas Giant really is rather good, but I do still find it overrated and have my gripes with it. For some reason, there are rows with an oddly placed ankle restraint bar, and my first ride was in one of these rows (I believe the front of each car has them)....this ruined my first ride experience. The bars dug into me through all the ejector air, causing both mild pain at the impact point and resulting in moderate pain in my knees for the entire day. Now, I'll only ride in the back, which seems to be roomier than other rows and lacks this ankle bar. I'd advise doing the same. The other rides are fun, and probably not as good as some of the rides at SFMM, but I personally prefer SFMM over SFOT just because of X2, Tatsu, Apocalpyse, and SFEK.

I'm a Socal SFMM local and I rode the new Texas Giant while I on my college (search) roadtrip. I personally thought it was great, I'm not sure if it has to do with your stature (I'm 6'), but the ejector bursts on the ride didn't really hurt met at all. The shin braces are completely necessary so you don't put your feet up on the car in front of you, and is to avoid injury/lawsuits. The back was pretty intense and fun for me, but I liked the front as well, and various other seats.

As for the rest of the park, I liked it, it was a lot different from the huge in-your-face setting in Valencia, it felt a lot more quieter and calmer to be. I actually thought the mine train there was a lot better than Goldrusher. I didn't realize how small the park was until after we got lost the 5th time. I'm probably bias because I'm not a fan of most B&Ms, I would only prefer SFMM over SFOT because of X2, Apocalpyse, S:EFK, and Tatsu. The Texas Giant was just too awesome, and I liked Mr. Freeze and Judge Roy.

All around a really cool park, I ultimately enjoyed both equally.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post October 10th, 2011, 10:20 am

I'm really slim and 6'2". I think it's the combination of those factors that lead to my poor shinguard experience during my first New Texas Giant ride, lol. And as far as their total necessity a design that negated them would've been just fine. Oh well, I prefer the very back anyway. I spaced out about Judge Roy, lol. It's a really fun ride. I sound jaded but I really do enjoy my home park overall.

I love B&Ms, but having recently ridden Mantis (not fun unfortunately) I wonder how Riddler's has held up... I haven't been to Magic Mountain since the opening year of Goliath.

Post October 10th, 2011, 10:30 am

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
lol...Shockwave better than anything at SFMM...you're too funny Jake. What a joke.

Post October 10th, 2011, 10:43 am

I think Revolution is better than Shockwave, as a matter of fact.

Post October 10th, 2011, 11:15 am

Points on hand: 2,704.00 Points
I havent been to sfmm but i would rather go there than SFOT. Texas giant is somewhat overrated. It is a great ride the first half, but it really looses its speed the second half. But the overbanks are very interesting, and a couple of the hills are el toro quality. Mr. Freeze i liked ALOT, but would not visit the park for. Titan was as good as NTG imo, although a very different ride experience. Batman was incredible like all the other clones i have been on, but Shockwave was closed so idk about that. So seriously, being realistic, sfmm does have a near clone of Titan and batman, so technically SFOT has only 3 coasters that are worth visiting for, and two of those three are really not that outstanding. SFMM has tatsu, a zacspin, a gci, a 4d coaster, a standup, and Superman. All of those being signature attractions.

Post October 10th, 2011, 11:36 am

Points on hand: 2,597.00 Points
Like this thread because I'm making a decision for my next big trip right now too. Haven't been to either, but leaning towards SFMM.

Post October 10th, 2011, 12:32 pm

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
I would say if you haven't been to either, go to SFMM. It's a fun park, and it offers a good variety of coasters. But to the original poster: if you've been to SFMM a few times before (note, that's more than once, and I'm assuming from that that you've ridden everything there that's worth riding), SFOT hands down. New coasters, however mediocre, are always better than a reride IMO. I'd take damn near any park I haven't visited yet over Cedar Point any day, no matter how few coasters they have. That's just my 2 cents, though.

Post October 10th, 2011, 2:39 pm

Points on hand: 2,652.00 Points
Bank: 2,739.00 Points

The one thing SFOT has over SFMM is a better collection of flat rides. Sure I love coasters, but, flats can be really fun too and offer a great way to just relax, plus, the lines are generally shorter for the flat rides than the coasters.
"if you found your laughin' place, how come you ain't laughin'."https://www.facebook.com/calicoaster1/

Post October 10th, 2011, 3:38 pm

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Being a coaster lover (and not caring for flats in all honesty), I'd go SFMM. If you've been there less than 3 or 4 times, I'd go there if I were you. Kyle pretty much summed it up with the wide selection.

Post October 10th, 2011, 8:03 pm

Shockwave is a lot better than Revolution, from my experience.

Post October 10th, 2011, 11:38 pm

Points on hand: 1,275.00 Points
Go to Six Flags Texas-Try the new giant,titan and others. SFMM does not have a good woodie, but has good steel rides.Tough choice tho.

Post October 10th, 2011, 11:45 pm

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
Personaly when I went to SFGAdv this year I was more excited mostly because I haven't been there beofre. Where i like Dorney but I've been there so many times that I'm perfectly content with only staying only a few hours at a time.
What are these for?

Post October 11th, 2011, 7:38 am

Points on hand: 1,255.00 Points
Originally posted by aj74205

I think Revolution is better than Shockwave, as a matter of fact.
Your Insane if you think that, Shockwave is one of the best coaster's out there!
Coast to coaster

Post October 11th, 2011, 2:24 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
If you haven't been to SFOT, that's the one you should go to. To be honest, don't flame me for saying this, but I would pick SFOT just for the NTG. Looks way more exciting than anything at SFMM, give Tatsu and X2.

Post October 11th, 2011, 3:40 pm

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

lol...Shockwave better than anything at SFMM...you're too funny Jake. What a joke.

Yup. All of their B&Ms are lame (except Batman, which SFOT HAS) and Tatsu is so weak sans the pretzel. X2 is rough as ****. Shockwave has pounding G's and crazy airtime while Mr. Freeze is balls out intensity. Then you have NTG, which is one of the best coasters in the world. It's El Toro on crack.

Post October 11th, 2011, 5:14 pm

X2 isn't always rough, it varies from ride to ride, as well as from where you sit (front half/back half; inside seat/outside seat).

Post November 19th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Points on hand: 1,369.00 Points
Actually all seats are rough at the final raven turn, your just appalled by the big ball of fire that flares in your face to notice. After my fourth ride to pay attention to track layout X2 went from 1st best all the way to last.

Post November 20th, 2011, 9:41 am

Points on hand: 578.00 Points
Originally posted by fusionxx

Go to Six Flags Texas-Try the new giant,titan and others. SFMM does not have a good woodie, but has good steel rides.Tough choice tho.

What is Apocalypse then? Because I'd say it ranks fairly high.

Post November 20th, 2011, 11:26 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
It's a GCI, which means its entire entertainment value is watching a POV on youtube.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions