Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! "Maverick" Construction - CP 2007

"Maverick" Construction - CP 2007

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post May 31st, 2007, 11:08 pm
cjd

Points on hand: 4,718.00 Points

ANOTHER VERDICT!

I just finished my third ride on Maverick, and now it's my turn to add some thoughts.

OPENING THOUGHTS:

First, I must say that anyone who has had doubts about this coaster because of the on-ride video being kind of "meh"... you have no freaking idea. This is another case of "you think you might know, but you have no idea." Unlike The Voyage, though, which we knew would be #1 from day one, this coaster is a complete and utter shocker. I never expected it to be that good after watching the animated POV, but it is. For you naysayers, get off your chairs, ignore your virtual ride, and get on!

Without a doubt, this is the most intense steel roller coaster ever constructed. Yes, that's right... EVER. Every single element slams you with powerful verts, unimaginably fast and forceful banking transitions (especially in the beginning), and the most powerful ejector airtime I have ever experienced on a coaster.

BLOW-BY-BLOW:

As you have probably seen from the testing videos by now, the lift is more like a launch. The train shoots up there so quickly that you barely have time to think before you're falling over the edge. I like it that way, because it really ramps up the ejector air during the past-vertical plunge.

The drop is completely insane! In the front, you see the track bending under you, and it just keeps going more and more under. As someone who has never ridden a Euro-Fighter, I was amazed at just how steep it was. And even in the front, the ejector air is wonderful. In the back, it is shoulder-crushingly sheer plunging bliss. Quite possibly my favorite drop on any coaster anywhere... so much air... I don't know what the actual numbers are, but it sure felt like it was way up there, around -1.5 to -1.7

Next came the fast transitions. The turns themselves had nice positive g's, but the real highlight was the transitions. These are VERY quick transitions. Watching the coaster, it looks fast. But the experience is really something different. It feels kind of like airtime, kind of like a fast whip... all you know is that one second you are banked 70 degrees one way, and less than half a second later you are banked 70 degrees the other way. Great fun, really surprises you, is quite intense, and is one of those things that no other coaster has. Great fun.

Then there is the big air hill. More incredible ejector air! at least -1 this time, maybe more like -1.3, and you're off your seat for nearly two seconds. Surprisingly, the rolls had airtime. I expected them to be more like corkscrews, but they felt more like zero-gravity rolls in actuality.

The transition from roll to flat for the launch is a little rough, but the launch itself is great fun. Flashing lights, some random mine theming, and it really feels like you're going very fast. Because of the theming, the sensation of speed at the end of the tunnel is greatly enhanced. A nice intense turn exiting, then hard into the trim brakes. But I can forgive them for the brakes, because without them the Stengel dives at the end would just be too intense.

The spiral drop off the brakes is quite a surprise in the back. You are thrown to the left a bit, and the acceleration really yanks you down. Airtime, lats, then intense verts all in one turn. Great fun! Then comes the only lame part of the ride... the s-bend. Sure, the roll was removed for the riders' safety, but the s-bend just plain sucks compared to the completely insane rest of the ride. The pacing is a bit messed up without the roll. What follows is just as good as the beginning, though. Those Stengel dives are probably the most intense non-air moments on the ride. The transitions into them are surprisingly quick, then you are pulled forcefully into your seat and whipped out of them.

One last air hill, not as intense as the drop or the first one, but still giving ejector air that would be a huge lift on any other steel coaster, then a quick transition into the brakes.

THE VERDICT:

The bar has been raised. There has never been a steel coaster like this. Is it better than Millennium Force, Dragster, and Magnum? Definitely! No contest. Is it better than SROS and EGF? I think so. However, when asked the question "Is it better than The Voyage?" The answer is a definitive no. It's the most intense steel coaster ever built, but it simply cannot match the complete out-of control insanity of The Voyage. Chances are, nothing ever will. But this is the closest that any coaster has come. And even if the roll was left in, it still probably wouldn't have beaten it.

So, I have a new #1 steel coaster. I rode my old favorite steelie, Millennium Force, right after Maverick, and it actually felt tame. Even the back seat ejector air down the first drop on MF felt like nothing compared to the shoulder-bruising, sheer terror-screaming insanity of Maverick.

RIDE IT!!! It's better than you could ever imagine. And I think it has at last broken the boundary between the GP and enthusiasts' coaster selections. Every skeptic that I met in line was a believer by the end. One person that I talked to in line started out saying "What's so special about this coaster? What did they build it for?", and at the end of the ride, the response was "Holy freaking God! That was insane! YES!!!"

Enough said.

GO RIDE IT!!!

Post May 31st, 2007, 11:33 pm

Points on hand: 1,171.00 Points

Another great review, I really can't wait to get on this thing now, even if it won't be for at least a couple years.

Post June 1st, 2007, 12:14 am

Points on hand: 6,575.00 Points

This ride is intense. Normally people put their hands up, this ride changed that. We shot up the hill and after the first couple turns it was only me and my friend with hands up. She eventually put them down, Later we saw that putting her hands up actually bruised her arms.
Cedar Point
2008-2015
--2015--
Beach Band- June-August
https://www.facebook.com/TrumpetDMR

Post June 1st, 2007, 2:39 am

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I rode hands up every time with no bruising.

But a little pain is always a good thing on a coaster. Shows its doing something.

Post June 1st, 2007, 3:08 am

Points on hand: 3,307.00 Points

Post June 1st, 2007, 6:58 am

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Because the Voyage is another top tier ride and why not compare them?

Post June 1st, 2007, 8:01 am

Points on hand: 1,916.00 Points

CJD, have you ridden SROS? I don't see how you can say one coaster IS better than another without experiencing it for yourself.

I'm still waiting for the precious POV of the cute little Mavericky. Oohh!

But no, like I said earlier, I have never ridden it, and won't for years to come, but the second half dissapoints me.

"meh"

First half looks crazy though!

Post June 1st, 2007, 9:30 am

Originally posted by Jimmy Yoshi

Because they're completely different styled coasters. When the next B&M looper opens, are we going to start seeing comparisons to Raven?

"The loop was more intense than Raven's terrain drop, but Raven did have the better airtime of the two rides..."

Post June 2nd, 2007, 12:13 am

Jackizle - The zero g rolls are kind of meh if compared to the second halfs insane stengel dives. I just dont see the justification for the comment, thats all. Second halfs as crazy as the first.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 12:18 am

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
CJD, excellent review. Makes me really wanna head out there right now, but unfortunately I'll have to wait towards the end of the month...
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post June 2nd, 2007, 12:57 am

Points on hand: 4,906.00 Points

I don't see why anyone would compare a wood coaster to a steel coaster. Even things as basic as the seat you ride in affect each differently. They're two different kinds of thrills with different goals.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 12:59 am

Points on hand: 3,189.00 Points

Yeah, but you can still compare which one you enjoy more overall.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 5:21 am

Points on hand: 3,245.00 Points

Originally posted by IntaminFan397

Because they're completely different styled coasters. When the next B&M looper opens, are we going to start seeing comparisons to Raven?

"The loop was more intense than Raven's terrain drop, but Raven did have the better airtime of the two rides..."

Congratulations, this is the single most ridiculous jump in logic I've ever witnessed on a coaster forum. You can compare anything you want to, there's no logical reason not to compare anything to anything else, even if the comparison is slight. However, here between Maverick and Voyage there is plenty to compare: Vertical forces, transitions, laterals, pacing, impact, overall experience, pros and cons of each and what each could get from each other, etc. So before you try to use assumed "design philosophies," which honestly I doubt anybody here has any true insight into, maybe you should actually challenge yourself to think a little outside of the box and not be limited by material compatibility.

Also, no new B&M loop will be as intense as the turn around.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 8:33 am

Real, from the videos I've seen, I think the Stengel dives are almost taken too fast to really enjoy the extreme banking. However, like you said, the 0-g rolls do just what their name suggests apparently, and I like that. I just can't get over the drop, the first two transitions, and that hill. Wow.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 10:40 am

^From what real and other say, the point of the stengel dives here isn't so much the extreme banking as it banking to and from that point, experiencing those intense rotations.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 11:01 am

Yea, they are comparable to those first 2 transitions purely for the insane banking.

A Second really cool thing I didnt note is the dueling - which does happen often. Infact, a couple of my rides I got to look above me through the second stengel dive to watch the other car zooming beneath me - VERY cool.

While I wish there was one more air hill coming in, it would start to make it too much like the first half. Its nice knowing you have a completely different set of track the second half through.

Rock, I would agree with IF about the fact that some rides arent as comparable. I wouldnt compare a Medusa to a Raven - theres just not enough there to compare on a similar level. Voyage and Maverick, for being one steel and one wood do have more in common than most.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 11:18 am

If the crazy rotation is similar to the first two transitions on the "lift half," then doesn't that experience start to get a little repetitive? I just think the second half could have been so much better. I just don't know. Maybe someone should donate to go let me ride it [:p].

Ooh, maybe it's that stupid heartline roll. Maverick needs it's heart!

Post June 2nd, 2007, 1:04 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Adhfasdhfas
I must ride it.
Thanks lots, CJD! Excellent!
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post June 2nd, 2007, 2:11 pm

The entire ride is repetative then. Because nearly every rotation is crazy minus a couple. My only complaint is the second half is just a bit shorter than I would have liked.

However, while the rotations are similar, the elements are not. The switchbacks are very cool and alot of fun but being over top of them in the Stengels is just as cool.

Just hard to describe the awesomeness of the whole ride without riding. And even then its kind of hard. I really just want to go back today for a few rides but thats not possible.

Post June 2nd, 2007, 2:53 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
I can't wait. Yeah I do have to say, they could have taken out some of the trims and made it faster and longer. But I dont care, It'll be insane.
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post June 2nd, 2007, 4:03 pm

Originally posted by bicoastalkid

Congratulations, this is the single most ridiculous jump in logic I've ever witnessed on a coaster forum. You can compare anything you want to, there's no logical reason not to compare anything to anything else, even if the comparison is slight. However, here between Maverick and Voyage there is plenty to compare: Vertical forces, transitions, laterals, pacing, impact, overall experience, pros and cons of each and what each could get from each other, etc. So before you try to use assumed "design philosophies," which honestly I doubt anybody here has any true insight into, maybe you should actually challenge yourself to think a little outside of the box and not be limited by material compatibility.

I knew I would get some kind of dumbass response like this.

Both of the coasters can excel at the type of thrill the designer intended the ride to deliver. I think SMer said it best with "They're two different kinds of thrills with different goals." I could say Voyage is better because I enjoy airtime on a coaster more than anything else, where at the same time another person could say Maverick is better because they enjoy quick banking transitions and inversions. This makes comparing the quality of the overall ride experience of both coasters such as these void and pointless.

Post June 3rd, 2007, 10:35 am

Originally posted by Real

The entire ride is repetative then. Because nearly every rotation is crazy minus a couple. My only complaint is the second half is just a bit shorter than I would have liked.

However, while the rotations are similar, the elements are not. The switchbacks are very cool and alot of fun but being over top of them in the Stengels is just as cool.

Just hard to describe the awesomeness of the whole ride without riding. And even then its kind of hard. I really just want to go back today for a few rides but thats not possible.

Yeah...someday, just someday I'll have to go to Cedar Point. But for now, I'm happy with what I got :).

I know this will sound stupid...but it's kinda like judging a book by it's cover. You can't.

Maybe a POV will help me out here.

Post June 3rd, 2007, 11:55 am

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
Just had a ride on this yesterday, it was pretty fun. The turns after the first drop really are made to look tame in the POV's while on the ride, they just slam you around suddenly. The 95 degree drop might have been better with a larger hill (which could've been done with a steeper "lift"), but that would affect how the first half is carried out, and it makes the drop less sudden and unexpected. Overall, the ride does a good job with a "just another coaster" appearance.

Post June 4th, 2007, 2:26 am

[quote]Originally posted by Jimmy Yoshi

I knew I would get some kind of dumbass response like this.

Both of the coasters can excel at the type of thrill the designer intended the ride to deliver. I think SMer said it best with "They're two different kinds of thrills with different goals." I could say Voyage is better because I enjoy airtime on a coaster more than anything else, where at the same time another person could say Maverick is better because they enjoy quick banking transitions and inversions. This makes comparing the quality of the overall ride experience of both coasters such as these void and pointless.
[/quote]

That's not a comparison, though. That's an opinion and from the way you described why you would say Voyage is better, you would have to compare the two before you made that judgment. You can compare two things, like "Mavericks has stronger rotation than Voyage" or "Voyage has stronger lats than Maverick" and those are things that can generally be agreed upon. Even though the two ride experiences are different and intended to be so you can still compare many things. It's similar to literature where even though two novels may be intended to present completely different ideas, you can still compare the style they were written in.

But please, continue to think of me as a "dumbass" for making sense.

Post June 4th, 2007, 3:35 am

That's not a comparison, though. That's an opinion and from the way you described why you would say Voyage is better, you would have to compare the two before you made that judgment. You can compare two things, like "Mavericks has stronger rotation than Voyage" or "Voyage has stronger lats than Maverick" and those are things that can generally be agreed upon. Even though the two ride experiences are different and intended to be so you can still compare many things. It's similar to literature where even though two novels may be intended to present completely different ideas, you can still compare the style they were written in.

But please, continue to think of me as a "dumbass" for making sense.

You could definitely compare the coasters in the ways you described. But what's the point? Most knowledgeable coaster enthusiasts would probably already know Maverick had the faster rotations, or the stronger negative gs, or that Voyage has higher laterals. I was referring to the kind of comparison cjd made, which was:
"However, when asked the question "Is it better than The Voyage?" The answer is a definitive no. It's the most intense steel coaster ever built, but it simply cannot match the complete out-of control insanity of The Voyage."

One of the "comparisons" is of the ride quality, which you call an opinion and not a comparison... I say it's both. The other is what I think we'd both agree is a comparison, and that is the intensity of both rides. Fast rotations and high negative gs might be more intense to one person, while insane laterals and forces in all directions throwing you around might be more intense for another.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!