Board index Theme Park Discussions General Theme Park Discussions Mean streak on fire!

Mean streak on fire!

Discuss anything related to theme parks in general.

Post September 22nd, 2010, 7:41 pm

Points on hand: 1,085.00 Points

A portion of Cedar Point?????????s largest wooden roller coaster caught fire late Tuesday, but a quick response from Sandusky firefighters spared the ride from any major damage.

The city?????????s firefighters were called to the park at about 9:30 p.m. because the amusement park?????????s own firefighters were not there. The park is now closed during the week, open only on weekends for HalloWeekends.

Firefighters said a section of track near the Mean Streak?????????s second hill somehow caught fire. Workers at the park had been repairing the ride and replacing boards earlier on Tuesday, and part of that work required them to cut metal bolts.

Since there were no heating sources near the fire location, firefighters speculated one of those bolts heated up after being cut, then dropped near the wood. The hot wood may have smoldered for some time until the wind breathed life into the embers hours later and sparked a small blaze.

The fire was small, limited to a 5-foot section of track and boards near the Mean Streak?????????s second hill.

Crews using one ladder truck completely extinguished the flames by 10:30 p.m. Firefighters said park personnel already planned to replace the boards that burned, so the fire caused no lasting damage.

According to the park?????????s website, Mean Streak contains 1.7 million feet of Southern yellow pine.

This was the second fire at the park this year.

On July 6 a 5,000-square-foot service building at the park caught fire. Investigators never determined the cause, but suspected an electrical malfunction was to blame.

Source: http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusk ... ean-streak
This is not my signature.

Post September 22nd, 2010, 7:43 pm
WES User avatar

Points on hand: 1,732.00 Points

Post September 22nd, 2010, 8:10 pm

Points on hand: 5,889.00 Points
wow, I thought this was going to be a joke [lol]
American Eagle Lover

Post September 22nd, 2010, 8:31 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
Someone didn't use enough gasoline...
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 22nd, 2010, 8:38 pm

Points on hand: 232.00 Points
These 3 responses above me made me rofl. I applaud all of you [lol]
Originally posted by GerstlCrazy:
The more time I spend on this website adds more to the impression that this has become a daycare.

Post September 22nd, 2010, 9:17 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
The firefighters weren't stopped by TRIMS. Too bad.

Post September 22nd, 2010, 9:32 pm
Mikey User avatar
Site Admin
Site Admin

Points on hand: 6,049.50 Points

It's just Texas Giant and Curtis Summers up in heaven playing with a magnifying glass.

Post September 22nd, 2010, 11:57 pm

Points on hand: 966.00 Points
poop. I was so excited when i saw this topic. Too bad it didnt burn up in flames. Now THAT picture would be everyone's signature.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 3:43 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
Why? WHY? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? [:(]

Why did it not burn down completly?
Thats the revenge of dead CP Fanboys who wanted a new coaster for 2011 and not a Windseeker!

Post September 23rd, 2010, 7:57 am

Points on hand: 1,303.00 Points
If this thing had burned down so many people would have been excited, and no one would have been upset.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 8:29 am

Points on hand: 1,601.00 Points
Haha I agree. I think more people are upset at how fast the firefighter response was than would have been upset if it had burned down completely [lol]
On a side note, I wonder if CP's firefighter were actually "gone"....

Post September 23rd, 2010, 10:21 am

Points on hand: 1,303.00 Points
Originally posted by boneplaya

Haha I agree. I think more people are upset at how fast the firefighter response was than would have been upset if it had burned down completely [lol]
On a side note, I wonder if CP's firefighter were actually "gone"....

That's the first thing that came to my mind. If mean streak burned down, they could get some insurance money from it.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 12:46 pm

Yeah,if you burn down a piece pf crap you still need cash to replace it with something...

Post September 23rd, 2010, 3:04 pm

Points on hand: 1,653.00 Points

Post September 23rd, 2010, 3:45 pm

Points on hand: 1,851.00 Points
Why oh why diddnt the whole thing burn down?!?

I HATE THAT RIDE!!!!!!

Post September 23rd, 2010, 4:01 pm

Originally posted by Coasta101

Is it wrong if I initially laughed at this?

If you laugh about that what I think you laughed about,then yes!

Post September 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm

Points on hand: 1,341.00 Points

damn... It was almost taken out by a few tornados in the past few years, and now it got set on fire. WHY WON'T YOU DIE!!! :P Meanwhile the Sky Rocket at Geauga Lake is going to get torn down... Sadness. CP could place it right inside the Magnum's curve with the lift hill towards the the far turn, I'm pretty sure it might fit there.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 5:53 pm

Points on hand: 4,393.00 Points
Ok, I know I'm always in the minority with my opinions (heck, my #1 is the Boss). But I've always liked Mean Streak, and I've had some excellent rides on it. Now, I'm not talking about its current condition. I'm talking about its potential. It doesn't have to be destroyed to be a great coaster. It just has to be retracked and have the brakes removed from the first drop. Running full out, it's a wonderful and exciting ride in my opinion. So I don't want to see anything happen to it. Will it ever improve? Probably not under current management which doesn't seem inclined to work with their wood coasters. Although there have been rumors about GCI coming in to do work on it. They could do wonders.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 9:41 pm

Points on hand: 3,002.00 Points

When i herd it caught fire, i hoped it was an actual fire, not a small ember on the side of the ride.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 9:56 pm

Points on hand: 1,277.00 Points
I'm going to Cedar Point on Saturday. I'll be sure to find something if I can. Other than that, I hope it would have burned down. Maybe put a nice, smooth, not busting my balls hyper coaster in its place.

Post September 23rd, 2010, 10:03 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
If there is anything CP does not need it is another ride over 200 feet.
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post September 24th, 2010, 2:51 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Personally I hope they keep that sucker open for as long as humanely possible just to piss people off that think it's sooooooooo unbearably rough or whatever.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post September 24th, 2010, 3:00 am

Points on hand: 1,277.00 Points
^ Its not that its unbearably rough, its that its lost its thunder. Now its like you take a six mile queue line walk to have a 30 second wait. Its just unpopular now.

And if you're refering to when I said "not busting my balls" coaster, I was actually talking about Magnum. I got a bruise from that ride. Its gotten horribly rough over the past few years.

Post September 24th, 2010, 7:42 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points
I know you can quote me as saying if you ever see it on fire to look into the bay and look for someone in a little boat...but...this time it wasnt me.

I can tell you if I were on that Fire Dept, I would have done anything to stall time and not get in trouble, haha.

Post September 25th, 2010, 1:45 am
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
If Magnum bruised you, that means the ejector is GOOD.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Next

Return to General Theme Park Discussions