Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Morey's Retracks Great Nor'Easter for 2017

Morey's Retracks Great Nor'Easter for 2017

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post February 7th, 2016, 1:00 am
Paradox User avatar

Points on hand: 7,113.00 Points
Bank: 10,198.60 Points
WILDWOOD ??? In 2017 the Great Nor???Easter rollercoaster at Morey???s Pier will get a makeover.

???Ninety percent of the track is being completely moved and replaced with the newest bending technologies that will make it very smooth,??? said Jack Morey, co-owner of Morey???s Pier. ???It???s being made right now in Holland as we speak.???

The company in the Netherlands making the new tracks, Vekoma, has an extensive resume making coasters.

Some of the notable rides the company has made are the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train in Walt Disney World and the Flight of the Hippogriff in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Orlando.

???They???re a big deal,??? Morey said.

Morey said that the company is getting ready to announce a naming competition to the updated track

???Based on the cost of the new attraction and the smoothness of the new ride, we feel it likely warrants a new name and color,??? he said.

The projected is estimated to cost about $4 million.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:
Just don't employ stupid people and you're golden.

That's like finding a Waffle House with no white trash in it.

Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Oh that's neat as hell. I wonder if it'll have a greater tie concentration or something. Is this is the SLC running the new generation trains right?
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Points on hand: 4,657.00 Points
Bank: 6,667.00 Points
I guess we're going to start more steel coasters get retracked, not a bad thing really. Whatever happened to the GCI that was supposed to be built?
What are these for?

Post February 7th, 2016, 11:17 am
VF15 User avatar
News Writer
News Writer

Points on hand: 10,818.00 Points
Seems like a waste to me. Why not spend that money on something brand new?

Post February 7th, 2016, 11:59 am
XLR8R User avatar
CoasterCrazy Media
CoasterCrazy Media

Points on hand: 3,273.01 Points
Some of the notable rides the company has made are... the Flight of the Hippogriff in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter at Universal Studios Orlando.

Very notable...
Storm Chaser | Intimidator 305 | Lightning Run | Twisted Colossus | Maverick | El Toro | Millennium Force | Xcelerator | El Loco | Magnum XL-200
Coaster Count: 154 - Last Credit: Ragin' Cajun (Six Flags America)

True Addicts
True Addicts

VF15 wrote:
Seems like a waste to me. Why not spend that money on something brand new?

It's 4 million vs. like 10 or 12 million, assuming they got another steel coaster. Just that particular SLC wraps around like 9 water rides in a really unique way, so it would be difficult to put another ride in its place.

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
they probably could have built that GCI for 4 million
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

True Addicts
True Addicts

Ehhhh I kinda doubt that. You gotta remember The "piers" in that area are not big at all, and I don't see anything else fitting in the Great Nor'Easter's spot aside from a Eurofighter given all of the attractions inside and on top of it. They did invest in new trains a couple years back if I recall so it's kind of the only good SLC in existence right now lol.

Points on hand: 227.00 Points
Bank: 11,457.10 Points
The gci wouldn't have replaced the slc. It was going to run across two piers
All hail your great Arrow Dynamics overlords.

Post February 7th, 2016, 11:48 pm
Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

I wont lie this is truthfully the last thing I ever expected
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Points on hand: 13,491.00 Points
Hmm, what if the SLC was a complete B&M track? ;)
-- I was happy to be with NL1 - [:')] --

True Addicts
True Addicts

lol240 wrote:
Hmm, what if the SLC was a complete B&M track? ;)

Honestly if B&M retracked the whole ride I think it would still be pretty bad lol. The SLC povs look like you totally whip over the first half of each element, then the train stalls out at the top, and then you continue on. Maybe they're smoothest in the middle. The inline rolls at the end tried to have a snap and it doesn't work well also.

Post October 11th, 2016, 10:20 pm
Paradox User avatar

New supports on site

Some supports are being painted which suggests that not all of the supports will be replaced in the retracking.

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

True Addicts
True Addicts

I bet the new supports are fudged a bit in either direction for a smoother ride.

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
I was going to say that I can't imagine just a retrack would make an SLC smooth. Glad to see they're reprofiling it too. I'm excited to try it out next year to see if they make any improvements.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Post October 12th, 2016, 10:08 am

Points on hand: 0.00 Points
Bank: 15,033.00 Points
it will probably become the world's smoothest Vekoma SLC!

True Addicts
True Addicts

devilsrule911 wrote:
I was going to say that I can't imagine just a retrack would make an SLC smooth. Glad to see they're reprofiling it too. I'm excited to try it out next year to see if they make any improvements.

I've heard that the SLC they just built in Poland is the same layout, but they're done some tweaking with the heights and banking which makes it much more tolerable in addition to the new trains. I've still never been on an SLC, nor am I familiar with their layouts enough to judge this myself though so it could be BS. I'd guess the new supports are for fudging the track in places to make these fixes though.

Turbo User avatar

Points on hand: 5,506.00 Points
Bank: 21,857.68 Points

Apparently Vekoma is decent with things now, hopefully this is an example of it.
Coaster Count: 582 // Top Five: 1. Helix 2. Nemesis 3. Big Bad Wolf 4. Boulder Dash 5. Balder

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
4 G's to the taint was a bit much for me because I'm not a power bottom like Turbo

Paradox User avatar

Track on site!

Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
devilsrule911 wrote:

I've heard that the SLC they just built in Poland is the same layout, but they're done some tweaking with the heights and banking which makes it much more tolerable in addition to the new trains. I've still never been on an SLC, nor am I familiar with their layouts enough to judge this myself though so it could be BS. I'd guess the new supports are for fudging the track in places to make these fixes though.

The new trains on the one at Kentucky Kingdom are awful, but the one at Energylandia looks a bit different. It seems like theirs just has it's painful snaps just a little rounded out, but it seems to have the same kind of forward and backward shuffling that also causes a problem. I would feel so bad if after all this money spent it still sucked.
1.Boulder Dash | 2.Legend(HW) | 3.Beast | 4.Ravine Flyer II | 5.Intimdator 305 | 6.Phoenix | 7.Twisted Timbers | 8.Wicked Cyclone | 9.Thunderhead | 10.Storm Chaser

Paradox User avatar

devilsrule911 wrote:
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
devilsrule911 wrote:

The new trains on the one at Kentucky Kingdom are awful, but the one at Energylandia looks a bit different. It seems like theirs just has it's painful snaps just a little rounded out, but it seems to have the same kind of forward and backward shuffling that also causes a problem. I would feel so bad if after all this money spent it still sucked.

Kentucky Kingdom's trains are made by KumbaK, not Vekoma.
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Paradox wrote:
devilsrule911 wrote:

Kentucky Kingdom's trains are made by KumbaK, not Vekoma.

^This

Also in addition to that. So far everything I've ridden and experienced from KumbaK, was horrible. I haven't ridden any decent product or job delivery from them so far:
- Flying Dutchman - Efteling: Crap
- Trains on Stampida: Crap
- "Automatisation Upgrade" on Rutschebanen @ Bakken: Very slow and again crap trains. (Heck, even the owners told us they weren't satisfied with KumbaK's way of doings.)
- SLC Replacement trains: Horrible and very uncomfortable. I'd prefer any other classic SLC train above this.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Paradox User avatar

Flying Dutchman looks like a great ride, but that could be because of Efteling lol
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
gouldy wrote:

True Addicts
True Addicts

Dirk I was honestly astounded at the POVs of Stampida with the KumbaK trains. It's a miracle they're still in business.

Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Coasterkidmwm wrote:
Dirk I was honestly astounded at the POVs of Stampida with the KumbaK trains. It's a miracle they're still in business.

Well, KumbaK is pretty much some of the old Vekoma workers from before it went bankrupt. So I guess it's a matter of time before they kill themselves. But seeing they're currently only doing cheap "upgrades" on coasters. I guess it will take a while.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!