Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park Trip Reports - Mt. Olympus HUGE Photo Trip Report -

- Mt. Olympus HUGE Photo Trip Report -

Visited a theme park and have a wild time?!? Post your trip report here and tell us all about it!

Post June 1st, 2008, 11:56 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
This PTR contains over 150 pictures, some of you may have to wait a bit for loading, sorry.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been waiting for this weekend for two months, but I've been waiting to ride Hades ever since it opened. The underground section always interested me, as did the prelift. This trip was basically inevitable this year. I am just so happy I ended up going this weekend.

Every single ride was walk-on, except for Hades on Saturday. The longest I ever waited for anything was 5 minutes for the front of Hades, one time. I couldn't have asked for a better weekend to go! Beautiful weather, low crowds, and a park full of the absolute roughest riders I've ever been on.

Go-Karts

The Go-Karts are just SO much fun. Towering helices and curves 50 ft. in the air, along with tunnels underwater, turns through the Trojan Horse and a layout intwertwining with Pegasus, all of the courses were just FUN TO THE MAX; until I got X-ed on my wristband, kicked off all Go-Karts at about 2:00 pm today, haha. I was bumping the crap out of this guy that was cutting off my friend. He deserved it.

Zeus

First ride of the first day, seeing as it was right at the entrance with no person to be seen in its line (along with the rest of the weekend). Zeus is really the only ride that didn't make it far on my top count. It is absolutely the biggest headache I've ever ridden; and I prefer rough rides, this was just TOO much. It has a great back row experience; it's probably the only seat to get airtime that's worth going through the pain. However, I just HAVE to say that the turnaround is an adventure all its own. Laterals like no other ride in the park mixed with the shaking. I found myself hanging on to the left side of the car trying not to be thrown against my friend. Hahaha, sounds like a bizarre enjoyment, but some tiny thing about the trauma of this ride turns me on.

I didn't know if one was already floating out there, so I took the liberty in (attempting) a front row POV of this ballbuster.

(Pov will be posted tomorrow)

Hades

I've been waiting years to ride this, so it was our second that day. We took the back seat, as the only other guests were waiting to ride the front. Hades showed me how incredible it was going to be right out of the station. That drop is some incredible airtime, followed by some lats. The exiting drop of the double-dip in the dropout is painful with airtime but surprising every time! The lats little hill before the lift also delivers great air to the backseat.

It was nothing but anticipation as I flew down the drop, thighs against the lap bar, apporaching the tunnel. It was so loud and so cold that I just could barely think. I knew the layout under the tunnel, so it didn't catch me so off gaurd as we were thrown to the left, then tossed down a small drop, and nailed completely sideways on that 90* bank. Flying out of the tunnel is somewhat a relief, as that trip through the tunnel is also a great deal of pain (like every other ride at MO). You cruise down that turn and over the small hill that throws incredible sustained air at you.

Returning through the tunnel was a bit more exciting, as its layout was harder for me to recall. All I can remember about the tunnel return is a LOAD of tossing around and laterals. Nailing the car, feeling the bruises come to surface. I was thrilled, again, to see light at the end of the tunnel...but this time, I went over the outter-bank, completely forgetting about it, and thought the train was derailing. I swear, that was the effect GG must have been going for. Your head unexpectedly approaches that concrete wall and you're pulled back at the last second. The hill parallel to the drop is a brief moment of peace, thank god.

Then without warning your flying throw steel, under stairs, and right by the station. The next section needed maintanence. The train was roaring as it shook unexplainably!. The horrible rattling ended right at the last airhill, which you can enjoy if you get lucky. Then the pass under the lift, helix, done. This ride is an experience that is so entertaining, but at the same time, another traumatizing ride. It barely missed the cut, landing at my #6 spot of top coasters.

Cyclops

We'd been on two of the parks roller coasters by now, already feeling a great beating. One of my friends decided to sit Cyclops out to fix a cut on his leg (from a loose seat panel on Hades). We knew this was going to be no different. I thought I might've gotten a break with the 18-year-rule with Cyclops' back car, but I didn't. So we took 3rd row from the back. The airtime was COMPLETELY out of this world. It was plentiful on the first drop, second drop, and most of all, the insane final drop. The restraint is the one bar/one setting type that locks 6 inches above your thighs, so you nail it with plenty of impact on the last drop. This ride goes MUCH faster that I would have expected, and despite how much most of you are underestimating it, I loved its speed and airtime. It resides nicely at the #4 spot on my list, bucking Excalibur off the Top 5.

Pegasus

It's a fun ride with minimal airtime but great lats, especially in the turnaround. Enough said.

I couldn't find a decent POV of this anywhere. I knew I underestimated it, so I filmed it from the front. Hopefully you'll see that this thing packs some power.

(POV will be posted tomorrow)

Avalanche

Yes we did hit Avalanche, once. It was $6.35, and quite frankly, I would've rather had a Gyro at the cafe. I heard great things about this and was very hyped up. It's just too short. It had some fun lats and a little bit of airtime, but I was let down. Maybe if I hadn't ridden all the MO rides first, I wouldn't have expected so much.

----------------The Trip----------------

Day 1

We approach the parking lot excitedly, dying to get out. It's 9:55 am, park is about to begin operating.

I run up to fences, nabbing pics. Ready to ride these bad boys...but someone kind of ruined it.

That kid in the back. His name is Sean. We had to wait a good 17 minutes for him to get his ticket...Sighhh. If you go on a trip with friends, and they buy online tickets, make sure you do to. Don't make them wait [xx(]

We walk in. The rides are running!

Walk on? Walk up!

The stations of Zeus and Hades share a close footpring.

Short lines.

Hades has one downfall. It runs one train.

People do not really like Zeus. Ehh, I don't blame 'em.

The double-down of death.

The lift, yey.

Sits nicely in the forest.

Cool, thanks...

I came too late [V]

I would eat it if it wasn't wood and was a Churro.

LOL, got a maximum of 5 operations a day...

Pegasus gets up the lift in an amazing 5 seconds...

...gets down the hill in 2 seconds...

(...and holds our attention for 10).

Say yey for happy time!

"I don't wanna ride the Virgin-Killer"

It doesn't work the way you think. You sit with stomach INTO the seat...

Good, mhm.

An L-Beam could just fly right out and spank you.

The designated spot to grab leaves and sutff them in peoples' shirts!

Makes a great landscape even better.

I just <3 Cyclops.

Lift/dropout

Lats?? But the ride hasn't even started yet!

A wooden rendezvous

Hold your breath...

Wooh!

My two most hated parts of the ride in one shot. Yes.

Drive by!

Yey, look how much fun they had!

I present to you...the longest lines of the weekend!

Zeus.

Back for Hades another time!

Ahhhhhhh!!!

Cyclops, then Go-Karts.

Yey for night time riding!

Hades, at night. Mmmm.

Awwww, he's tired! Didn't ride with us the rest of the night.

Zeus gets some attention!

The things we love...

Front car riding! This time, the whole thing is pitch black!

Closeness!

Awww. We have to go for now.

We say goodbye to the supports...

Day 2

And wake up on the next line...

Avalanche this morning...but first...

Breakfast at the nicest MacDonald's you'll ever see!

On our way...

At least it looks good.

It looks darn good. Just doesn't ride like I wanted it to.

Round 2 at MO.

Walk past the tunnel...

Walk past the drop...

So glad to see him again.

Zeus turns into the station with hardly any speed lost.

Cyclops, and it's speedy second hop.

We keep riding Zeus. I don't even know why...Oh yeah, the splendid trauma that somehow beckons us for more [}:)]

More Hades.

And now, my baby!

We were sooo excited! Well. It doesn't look like it, but I am. I'm more worried about dropping the camera on those drops.

Time for the Trojan Horse! My favorite course in the park.

Back seat riding of Hades.

Let me explain to you how Pegasus works. You go down these last few hills, with a surprisingly good amount of speed remaining from the turnaround...

...and fly into that turn and get some whiplash.

My fanny pack is sexy.

Center-stage walks the demon child that X-es your wristband if you bump.

Mt. Olympus!

Did I mention we're on the Duck tour?

Just be happy you didn't have to sit through it.

It makes you a little depressed. You're learning about Greek Mythology that you just learned last term, and all you want to do is ride Hades and Cyclops...

I can't believe how small the drop is.

Go go go go!

These woodies have random support chunks missing, left and right.

Oh no, your mom found me!

Extreme World.

Yes, damn Duck, bring me back to the park...

Woah, JUST like a Mack SuperSplash!

Why are you hiding? Dinky old Pegasus will do nothing to you...

The nameless Go-Kart course that intertwines with Pegasus.

Another shot of the beautiful skyline.

And another...

Cyclops with no one on it? What's wrong!?

Gr. We had to come back later...

^Almost died taking that shot!

Yey, the back cars all to myself!

Yeah...people don't like Zeus.

Hades, just completely deserted.

Awww, kicked off the Go-Karts!

The indoor park gets one picture.

But another from-under-the-track shot for Hades.

Lats, big ones.

We have to leave now...for the weekend [:(]

Last few looks...

Stepping out of the park.

Bye Zeus.

Bye Cyclops.

Bye Hades.

Aww, we could've gotten ONE more ride!

[:(]

I'll even miss Pegasus.

Well, I hope you enjoyed the PTR. I know I enjoyed getting it ready [8D].

Zeus - 8 times
Cyclops - 10 times
Hades - 14 times
Pegasus - 4 times
Last edited by GerstlCrazy on June 2nd, 2008, 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
1-Millennium Force | 2-Intimidator 305 | 3-Fury 325
4-Skyrush | 5-Iron Rattler | 6-X2 | 7-Kingda Ka
8-Voyage | 9-Maverick | 10-Monster

Post June 2nd, 2008, 12:16 am

Points on hand: 2,481.00 Points

holy crap, thats a s**t load of photos!!!! [:O]

anyway, thanks for sharing, there was lots of good ones [:D]
Founder of the (Un-Official) Site Welcoming Crew --- I'M CUCKOO FOR COASTERCRAZY!!!

Post June 2nd, 2008, 7:53 am

Points on hand: 290.00 Points

Lol, they need to get a steel coaster desperately.

Post June 2nd, 2008, 8:52 am

Points on hand: 196.00 Points

^Yeah, a looping one...

Anyway, sounds like you had a ton of fun! I'd give anything to ride those coasters!
I aslo loved how you described each ride!
Very nice TR!

Post June 2nd, 2008, 9:00 am

They really do. I'm all for a shaky experience, but when all you get is rough over and over again, you kind of just want a smooth ride...

Post June 2nd, 2008, 9:46 am
Gav User avatar

Points on hand: 2,076.00 Points

Post June 19th, 2008, 12:46 pm

Points on hand: 1,643.00 Points

Awesome PTR! Last time I went to MTO last September on Labor Day, it was really slow. Except Sunday the day before Labor Day it was packed and Hades was all the way down the stairs and was even on the path way close to the entrance! Anyways, cool TR and great photos! Thanks for sharing them.
"It wasn't me!"

-Fred Randall

Post June 19th, 2008, 1:00 pm

Points on hand: 9,697.00 Points
Nice TR, Jake. I got around to reading it a few days ago but I forgot to comment. I agree that they desperately need a steel coaster, multiple IMO. I, once again, dislike wooden coasters, and I'd be willing to try a few of theirs if it was worth going there with other steelies to ride afterward.

^And by the way, TTD isn't that great, lol...
X2 ??? Intimidator 305 ??? Millennium Force ??? Iron Rattler ??? El Toro ??? Fury 325 ??? Maverick ??? Skyrush ??? Twisted Timbers ??? Voyage

Post June 19th, 2008, 11:59 pm

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Their wood coasters are all pretty good, I don't really think they need a steel. They just need to take care of the woodies better....Hades needed some work when I was there last August. Zeus however, I found to be extremely smooth so I don't know what happened. Also, how could you not ride Cyclops in the back? Don't ask, just sit down. Chances are they won't say anything. Cyclops HAS to be done in the back seat, no matter what. Also you didn't miss much by missing Dive. Easily one of the worst three coasters I have been on (disease water, jack hammers through the turns, and is it even a coaster? Not really, but it's not really a flume either. The whole ride just sucks).

Tiepilot, what wood coasters have you been on that's brought you to that conclusion? If you've only been on Six Flags/Cedar Fair wood coasters, you need to try more before you make a statement like that. Check out Holiday World some time.

The Dells as a whole sucks and is nothing but a tourist trap, but I think the woodies there are certainly 'destination' rides and worth a trip.

Gerst, how did you get that picture from under Hades? I don't remember any track being that low that you could get a cam in it...

Post June 20th, 2008, 1:12 am

Points on hand: 62.00 Points
how was hades? looks rally, rally fun. especially at night.
So, my friend came up to me the other day and asked if I wanted a frozen banana, and I said no, but I want a normal banana later, so... yea.

- RIP Mitch Hedberg

Post June 20th, 2008, 1:16 am

^

Hades, although great fun at night, was disappointing. Still made it on my Top 10 but generally wasn't as good as I would've guessed. The tunnel is just incredible though...

^^I tried getting on Cyclops in back. I tried sitting down and harnessing myself in. I tried bribing her with a 20 but everytime I got:

"You no 18. You no ride in back, you no ride in back, and you no ride in back. Choose other seat!"

The part with the camera through the ties is the bottom of the hill parallel to the first drop. Just hop the fence, walk over some rocks and reach...time it right though [;)]

Post June 20th, 2008, 1:26 am

Points on hand: 4,765.00 Points

Return to Theme Park Trip Reports