Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! Mumbo Jumbo riders get more than enough hangtime

Mumbo Jumbo riders get more than enough hangtime

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Points on hand: 5,761.00 Points

four unlucky thrillseekers got a bigger fright than they perhaps wanted after their rollercoaster got stuck, leaving them dangling 50ft above the ground for 20 minutes.

They had paid to go on the Mumbo Jumbo ride at Flamingo Land theme park in North Yorkshire, which is claimed to be the steepest rollercoaster in the world

But their carriage got stranded after a poncho jammed the mechanism, leaving them upside down before being rescued by theme park staff.
Nigel Warburton, of Darlington, County Durham, who was at Flamingo Land for a day out, photographed the incident yesterday.
'There was quite a crowd gathered watching,' he told The Northern Echo.

Making screams come true

Post May 4th, 2010, 6:30 pm
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points
Too bad for the 2 unlucky fella's. But the cause of this incident has happned before on a different ride: Robin Hood in Walibi World. Only on the Robin Hood the poncho got stuck on one of the brake fins which caused the train to fly through the final brakes and the station.

Maybe they should start to forbid on wearing a poncho on a rollercoaster...
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 4th, 2010, 6:35 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
Total agree, No ponchos no matter what! If i was on there i would probaly cuss out the guy with the poncho.

Post May 4th, 2010, 6:36 pm

Points on hand: 6,869.00 Points

Post May 4th, 2010, 6:56 pm

Points on hand: 3,043.00 Points

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:03 pm

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
So what, sh*t happens man. It happened to Intamin, it happens to S&S. They still make great rides.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:04 pm

^^Unrealiablity. It just adds onto the fact that they suck. That's not the main reason. They also achieve the steepest drop by putting brakes on it. Saw is still the steepest free fall drop. They just want to brag by doing cheap stuff (ehem ring racer ehem)

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:08 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Points on hand: 5,728.00 Points
They could be even cheaper and not put the breaks on at all! Would you prefer that? Cuz I think it would hurt like hell!
Boulder Dash was the only good roller coaster.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:10 pm

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:14 pm

Points on hand: 4,152.00 Points

Originally posted by devilsrule911

^^Unrealiablity. It just adds onto the fact that they suck. That's not the main reason. They also achieve the steepest drop by putting brakes on it. Saw is still the steepest free fall drop. They just want to brag by doing cheap stuff (ehem ring racer ehem)

What's wrong with ring racer?

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:19 pm

Points on hand: 3,578.00 Points

I don't think there's really any coaster (or machine) that you can fully rely upon to function properly all of the time.

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
devilsrule911, it's nice to know you don't personally like S&S, but this Mumbo Jumbo incident is not even close to S&S's fault.

I guess B&M sucks then because someone's cell phone went flying out of his/her pocket on Montu, and the ride shut down so the staff could find this guy's cell phone.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:26 pm

Points on hand: 10,012.00 Points
I guess it adds to the fact that all manufacturers suck, seeing as no manufacturer makes perfect rides though, right? Devilsrule makes a good point.

...[lol]

Post May 4th, 2010, 7:50 pm

I wasn't necessarily serious by saying that it was proof. I do truly hate S&S coasters (Flat and Tower Rides are okay)

Originally Posted by slosprint

They could be even cheaper and not put the breaks on at all! Would you prefer that? Cuz I think it would hurt like hell!

Why do you need to make it the steepest? It kills the point of the steepest drop by adding brakes.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Yoshi

They just made it the fastest coaster by slowing it down to around 60 mph. That's cheap. The only point was to break the record. If you want to do that, you keep it that way. There is no point.

Originally Posted by coasterpimp

I think their rides are fun.

Which rides?

Originally posted by Gerstlcrazy

I guess it adds to the fact that all manufacturers suck, seeing as no manufacturer makes perfect rides though, right? Devilsrule makes a good point.

S&S is terrible. ring racer didn't even run its first year.

Post May 4th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
TTD didn't run much its first year...
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post May 4th, 2010, 9:08 pm
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

^ Agreed, in fact it didn't really get to running routinely until its third season or so of operation.

"or if you're when the hydraulic fluid was dumped out of the motor is goes 200ft up the tower and is like "LOL nope"" - CKMWM 2016

Post May 5th, 2010, 6:44 am
Dirk_Ermen User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 2,175.50 Points
Bank: 45,000.00 Points

They just made it the fastest coaster by slowing it down to around 60 mph. That's cheap. The only point was to break the record. If you want to do that, you keep it that way. There is no point.

Actually, the brake has been added to create a ride experience like you're riding on a real circuit. aka. Decelerating before doing a turn.
Coastercount: 1410 (I've seen the world and it's horrid contraptions... @.@)
- Wood: 142
- Steel: 1268

Post May 5th, 2010, 7:16 am

Couldn't that be considered an excuse? They had no room so they couldn't make it the fastest. Fine do that, but don't make it the fastest because it is obviously meant to break a record.

Post May 5th, 2010, 7:52 am
slosprint User avatar
Premium Member
Premium Member

No, but that could be considered an excuse for NASCAR or whatever sport to change their rules so that replicating the experience in a coaster might be more exciting for you!

Post May 5th, 2010, 8:21 am

I thought it was meant to simulate the experience of the acceleration of the F1 cars?

Post May 5th, 2010, 8:58 am

Points on hand: 209.00 Points
Bank: 311.00 Points
I heard that they fired the park manager cause they lost a lot of money with the ring?????????racer!I hope it doesn't end like Arrow with X!I think park wasted money with Ring?????????racer,it would be awesome if:
1:built higher
2:it has a better layout
3:it has no brake
But those suckers of the government make hight limitaions,the "park builds the fastest coaster on earth to slow it down at 60 mp/h after the launch,which isn't mentioned in the marketing campagnes!
This coaster had really a great potential,but now it a pile of crap!But I think S&S is very inovative and they make good rides,and to be seriously
I like Mumbo jumbo cause it looks like a Knex Coaster[;)].
All RCCAs should be RMC'd. And that event shall be henceforth known as the Rollercaust.

Post May 5th, 2010, 10:03 am

Points on hand: 1,151.00 Points

Steel Hawg really exceeded my expectations, but now I'll make sure not to ride it with somebody wearing a poncho.

Who the hell cares about records anyways? Sure, the strange drops and angles on the El Loco design are kind of gimmicky, but it's not like they're claiming that every element breaks a record. I'm largely indifferent to S&S as a company, though, so please don't throw the "fanboy" label at me.

Post May 5th, 2010, 10:17 am

Points on hand: 2,736.00 Points
Ring Racer not opening its proposed year is NOT completely S&S's fault. S&S talked a bit at West Coast Bash Knott's Berry Farm (I was there), and they mentioned that German Gov't (or something similar, I forgot) didn't 100% approve of the ride over time, and it delayed the opening.
Originally posted by dcs221
\nMack Daddy A113. That'll be your rap name.

Post May 5th, 2010, 10:25 am
hyyyper User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 9,207.00 Points
Originally posted by Dirk_Ermen

Actually, the brake has been added to create a ride experience like you're riding on a real circuit. aka. Decelerating before doing a turn.

If you want a real circuit experience, get something like Test Track at Epcot, not a rollercoaster. Besides, what race-circuit features that first turn that ringracer has?

Post May 5th, 2010, 12:12 pm

Points on hand: 50.00 Points
I went to Flamingo Land the day before this. How glad I am that it wasn't me that got stuck, those restraints f**king kill.

Why do you need to make it the steepest? It kills the point of the steepest drop by adding brakes.

Because the radius is not great enough for it to be as steep as it is, thus meaning it would pull incredibly strong negatives. It already has enough negatives on that drop.
[19:47:28] rcking04: /smoke bong through wrong end

Next

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!