Board index Roller Coaster Games No Limits Coaster Music in No Limits coaster videos

Music in No Limits coaster videos

Discuss anything involving No Limits Coaster Simulation.

Post May 13th, 2013, 12:23 am

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
How important do you think music is when making or watching No Limits coaster videos?
To me, music is not very important. I clicked on the video to watch the coaster, not listen to whatever song is on it. I generally either mute them or take the headphones off, and it's kind of a habit. If I wanted to listen to the song, I would type in the song/artist name. One of the few exceptions is Free Bird's Flight, the music of which is kind of integral to the experience.
I also dislike when people hate on the video because of the music when the video itself is about the coaster, as if they forgot how to mute.
As for making No Limits videos, mine are about the coaster itself, pure and simple. I'd rather have the default coaster audio than a copyrighted music track that is blocked in certain countries or a strike on my account. There is also audioswap and royalty-free music, but it can be difficult to find anything I feel like using, and I might not be able to download the MP4 file if I need to (because the audio portion may not belong to me). I also think it would be tiring to go through every video just to pick a different song for each one when I've never gotten any comments about "There's no music?! DIS SUX!"

Post May 13th, 2013, 1:00 am

Points on hand: 85.00 Points
Bank: 2,503.00 Points
Huh this is random. ok

For me you can either mute it or not mute it. I usually prefer you don't mute, but I know not everyone has the same tastes as I do. For that reason I never pick anything "abrasive" (i.e. metal, dubstep) because those are so bound to taste.

But if you're doing anything related to videography that isn't just a POV, music is the framework for any video. I simply cannot start a video without music picked already. Sounds retarded and hipster but it's true. Oftentimes music influences the design of an entire coaster. Tour De France is an example. I created the entire coaster just so I could create that first 10 seconds. From there I actually changed songs (the first 10 seconds is "Tour De France Etape 2" while the rest is "Tour De France" [and yes, they are extremely different]), and I kind-of regret changing songs because it was a last-minute thing and I think Etape 2 would have been more widely accepted. The regular song that goes through the video is 80's krautrock techno-pop whatever you call it and I can see why people wouldn't like it.

But like I said, it's the framework completely. I spend lots of time contemplating, sampling, and picking out music for my videos. Most of the time I pick a song that fits the layout like Express 90, where the curves and inversions are reflected directly in the music (watch the POV part and see for yourself). Some work perfectly (Express 90, Super-Schleifen Bahn, Retro) - they contain too many black spots (they are older videos of mine) but I love the cut-up styles. Other times I wish I went with my other options (Schizophrenia I was sorta satisfied with, but because it was a "majorly themed" project I wished I picked a less dance-y track in place of an orchestral and/or eerie electronic). I had 5 different songs I was debating on using for this ride, stretching from Phillip Glass' "Metamorphosis (Parts 4 & 5)" (minimalist pianist I like) to Wolfgang Gartner's "Fire Power" (electro house).

From there you see how the music directly affects your style, presentation, and tied "feels". Take my Il Pitone Video Experiment for example. In the first half I used a percussive cut-up song and the clips match the feel. The shots are hard, raw (unrefined, jagged), and contain no real transitions. I also used a lot shots like the looping shot at 0:52 and the corkscrew shot at 1:43 where the same shot is used but it gets clipped and sampled around to get a cut-up rhythmic feel.

Fast forward to 3:02, and by just changing the music, I design a completely different set of clips. The light fills and permeates, the speed is slowed, the camera is following "loosely" (Target view + pan smoothing + stabilization + active camera) but elegantly.

--------------------

If you're not asleep yet, watch this entire video with music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xslMbAYNrf0

... and then see how music can impact the video. 0:50 (gonna stop permalinking now it's getting annoying) was a shot that I specifically saved for that part of the song. Because the chords drop into this sappy sort of deep part and the sun was peaking out, it was the optimal place for it. Another spot is 1:47 to the end. Notice in the station with the sun rays filing through, the camera is moving up. This is because the chords are raised up from the earlier part and it's uplifting. The shot immediately after (1:53) moves down because the music begins decending midway through. The very last shot is particularly interesting. It blurs very early in the clip despite it actually being really cool to look at unblurred. Why? Because the notes were being more fissured and dissonant, and as the notes "spread" and clashed, I blurred to match.

If it's Nicki Minaj or something loud and annoying, or if you just plain don't like it I can understand. But always give it a try because it is the backbone of everything. You can oftentimes tell when videos were "videos first, music tacked on later", because the music is disconnected and irrelevant. But that is never the case for any of my videos.

oscar do i get free slappin points for this post cause its really long

Post May 13th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Points on hand: 72.00 Points
Bank: 12,611.00 Points
Most of the time music is used in a video, it does nothing but cause annoyances. (As AJClarke parodied in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsezOW-wUMk ) As mentioned, it causes DRM issues, but even if it doesn't, a lot of video uploaders have no taste in music anyways.

Videos that use music well also tend to be well edited/produced in general, such as the ones mentioned above.

Never found anything under audioswap that's worth hearing, although it's gotta be better than a lot of the stuff people use.

Regarding editing, I could see things getting interesting in NL2. Lots of effects can be shifted to being in the track ("on the set") via scripting as opposed to being post-production. It'll definitely be tricky to match up though, but should be worth it.

Post May 13th, 2013, 3:00 pm
Coasterkidmwm User avatar
True Addicts
True Addicts

Points on hand: 8,049.10 Points
Bank: 15,000.00 Points
Originally posted by AJClarke0912

But if you're doing anything related to videography that isn't just a POV, music is the framework for any video.

[insert massive blob of hippy poop here]

Or you could make a decent ride and not pick effeminate "alternative rock" that is trying too hard to be Blink 182 through 48 voice filters, autotune, and voice layers won their background music in an auction their label participated in for them.

This is like designing a restaurant menu around a table with an umbrella you like and know will be out front. Make the food not suck and then worry about the other crap.
"Careful man, there's a beverage here!"

Post May 13th, 2013, 3:43 pm

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

Or you could make a decent ride and not pick effeminate "alternative rock" that is trying too hard to be Blink 182 through 48 voice filters, autotune, and voice layers won their background music in an auction their label participated in for them.

But I don't have alternative rock in anything I've made... or autotune?... what are you even talking about...

1/10 troll pls try harder

Post May 13th, 2013, 3:48 pm
RideWarriorNation User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 1,533.40 Points
Bank: 0.00 Points
Originally posted by AJClarke0912

Originally posted by Coasterkidmwm

But I don't have alternative rock in anything I've made... or autotune?... what are you even talking about...

1/10 troll pls try harder
#REKT

Post May 13th, 2013, 3:54 pm

Originally posted by RideWarriorNation

#REKT

ikr but remember to save that for later

he has golden returning comeback action phrases like "ur fat" or "you have no life" or "you sound like bill oreillye" or "your a virgin"

...and they are all ironic

Post May 13th, 2013, 5:51 pm
A.S.C. User avatar
Beta Tester
Beta Tester

Points on hand: 59.00 Points
Bank: 1,276.00 Points
A lot of times if I completely hate the music I mute it, but it's definitely what makes the video fun to watch. Especially if you're watching one that's edited to fit the music.

Post May 13th, 2013, 7:59 pm

Points on hand: 1,561.00 Points
Originally posted by A.S.C.

A lot of times if I completely hate the music I mute it, but it's definitely what makes the video fun to watch. Especially if you're watching one that's edited to fit the music.

*Example

Post May 13th, 2013, 8:41 pm

Points on hand: 2,211.00 Points
For me music and coasters go hand in hand. I would prefer if every coaster had a song or even some kind of audio.

Post May 14th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Points on hand: 6,337.00 Points
The whole "making youtube videos of rides that are already released" thing is dumb.

Post May 14th, 2013, 8:26 pm

Points on hand: 15,383.90 Points
Originally posted by TylerE

The whole "making youtube videos of rides that are already released" thing is dumb.

Not everyone who watches them has or cares about getting No Limits, and not everyone wants to get a CoasterCrazy account just to download rides.

Post May 15th, 2013, 1:10 am

Originally posted by TylerE

What if you enjoy video editing as a hobby? I certainly get way more enjoyment out of it than coasters now. 5 hours of editing gets the same satisfaction as a full year on some simulated coaster.

Honestly when you think about it, NL is a massive waste of time. It's great fun but a total time drain if you want to please the 1% crowd... and for what - Internet brownie karma points?

Who really cares?

Return to No Limits Coaster