Board index Theme Park Discussions Theme Park News & Construction! New BGT Coaster

New BGT Coaster

Theme Park Construction And News Forum

Post October 13th, 2010, 7:44 pm

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points
I quite agree with Tidus. This looks like a badly designed NL coaster.

The multiple launches are far too slow, and appear to be a misguided attempt at theming. 60 MPH is slow compared to Intamin's best launchers like iSpeed and Maverick, and is even significantly slower than El Toro.

30/40 MPH is quite simply pathetic.

A cheetah can apparently reach 70-75 MPH. Why didn't they make that their top speed?

EDIT: Don't even get me started on the crappy straight sections.
Originally posted by dcs221
\n"they see me trollin', they hatin'..." -Omnigeek6

Chamillionaire you are not...but white and nerdy, yes.

Post October 13th, 2010, 7:50 pm

Points on hand: 3,059.00 Points

Post October 13th, 2010, 8:02 pm

Points on hand: 2,837.21 Points
Bank: 6,969.69 Points
70-75 mph may have cost more money, and may not have been as family friendly. There are a million other reasons why they may have gone with a slower top speed.

Also consider, as long as elements are sized well relative to speed, 40 mph can be very exciting. That hill after the 40 mph launch should have very strong airtime.

But I too don't understand straight sections without a ton of speed. The first one after the roll may be a block, but the rest of that section before the next launch seems to meander to me. I'm all for well done straight sections (read: Apollo's Chariot), but that one in particular in that context doesn't seem like a good element.

I like the concept of multiple launches...keeps that pacing up (though in this case, maybe not as much as we might like). Not like most rides are going much faster than 40 mph toward the end, anyways.

Post October 13th, 2010, 8:12 pm

Points on hand: 5,394.00 Points
Bank: 1,660.00 Points
Wow, speed does not decide whether a ride is "good". Freddie has been saying stuff like this for a while now.
Oh, were you expecting something here?

Post October 13th, 2010, 8:22 pm

I like that you put the word "good" in quotations, because to some people, it might. For me, it's often a great influence to how much I enjoy a ride, and for Freddy, it doesn't make as much of a difference. There are plenty of people in each category, so I don't really think there's a right or wrong answer.

Post October 14th, 2010, 1:09 am

Points on hand: 1,385.00 Points

70-75 mph may have cost more money, and may not have been as family friendly. There are a million other reasons why they may have gone with a slower top speed.

Also consider, as long as elements are sized well relative to speed, 40 mph can be very exciting. That hill after the 40 mph launch should have very strong airtime.

But I too don't understand straight sections without a ton of speed. The first one after the roll may be a block, but the rest of that section before the next launch seems to meander to me. I'm all for well done straight sections (read: Apollo's Chariot), but that one in particular in that context doesn't seem like a good element.

I like the concept of multiple launches...keeps that pacing up (though in this case, maybe not as much as we might like). Not like most rides are going much faster than 40 mph toward the end, anyways.

"Family friendly" leads to travesties like InTrimidator305.

Now, I'm not disputing that you can make good coasters at 40 MPH, but I don't think launched coasters are as suitable for low speed.

Multiple launches are a good concept. However, I would make each launch FASTER than the last, such as on Mach 3 (search YouTube for it). This way, instead of just maintaining its pace, the ride would build up in a crescendo of adrenaline.

I'd also like to note that with 1 or 2 launches reaching 70-75 MPH, the ride could reach the end of a track the same length at speeds exceeding 40 MPH.
\n"they see me trollin', they hatin'..." -Omnigeek6

Chamillionaire you are not...but white and nerdy, yes.

Post October 14th, 2010, 1:29 am

Wait what does "family friendly" have to do with Intimidator 305 and the addition of trims? The ride was never meant to be particularly "family friendly." It was toned down likely because of the wheels and possibly to make it more accessible to a wider range of guests, given the incredible intensity, but I personally wouldn't call it, in any state, close to "family friendly."

That's correct what you said in the last statement, but then you also wouldn't have an extra bit of acceleration in the middle of the ride, something they seemed to have wanted to focus on. Two launches wouldn't be quite as unique, as it's seen in different forms on several rides including Volcano, Maverick, Speed: The Ride, and the Mr. Freeze clones.

So yeah I don't think it'll be among the most thrilling rides in the world, but I do think the standout individual moments along the track are good enough to make enthusiasts like it more than some of them seem to be expecting as of now.

Previous

Return to Theme Park News & Construction!